PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

TheGirlCanSkate
09-01-2012, 04:32 PM
the amount of info on her education has always been a bit too much, honestly. i mean, going to school should be a private matter. it's part of her private life...unless she is, say, a huge celebrity or a famous scholar. as a skating follower, i'm interested in what skaters do inside a rink, not in "her struggles to balance education and skating".

For most of the young girls who are skating, competing, and going to school, this information is something they really enjoy. My daughter and her friends all read the bios and love this information. They love to see that a skater loves chess or pizza or soccer, that they are going to a great school for some part of STEM. They identify with her as they are spending 12+hours at the rink weekly, in advanced classes, taking dance, chess, and an instrument.

flipforsynchro
09-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Courtney got silver, Angela got Bronze, Kiri is 5th

brightphoton
09-02-2012, 01:28 AM
This is first time in history that people have been able to share information so freely and widely, so of course young people are going to take advantage of it. However, people are also right to object to the casual attitude of sharing information. Adults post pictures of their children and teens post about their daily lives. It's harmless because most people don't have enough money to be worth going after, so usually the worst thing that happens is that someone undergoes some personal embarrassment. But you would think people would be a little more tight-lipped since we're working with a machine that silently archives everything we do.

Theatregirl1122
09-02-2012, 04:51 AM
A little more tight lipped about "I enjoy school and do well"? Seems like much ado about nothing. :blah:

olympic
09-02-2012, 05:02 AM
Courtney got silver, Angela got Bronze, Kiri is 5th

Angela Wang opened her LP w/ a 3z-3t-2t :eek:
Courtney Hicks opened with a 3f-3t

brightphoton
09-02-2012, 06:06 AM
A little more tight lipped about "I enjoy school and do well"? Seems like much ado about nothing. :blah:

Her classes and so I've heard, her grades. Anyone can look up the course schedule at Stanford, find her class listing and times if they so wanted to meet her. No, it won't happen because she's not as famous or rich as say, Shawn Johnson. Like I said, people are increasingly open about sharing information and tend not to think of the potential consequences.

Hedwig
09-02-2012, 08:43 AM
You seem to think about it too much. :rolleyes:

Vagabond
09-02-2012, 03:59 PM
I think stalking is a very real possibility. So is having people consider you boastful if you tell the whole world that you got straight "A's" in high school. So too (in the case of some skaters, not necessarily Flatt) is a long-lasting surrender of privacy and self-esteem.

Katy Taylor's USFSA bio (http://www.usfsa.org/AthleteBio.asp?id=2310) still says she "wants a hot pink Hummer H3." Chances are it isn't going away. Anyone -- prospective employers, neighbors, landlords, co-workers, fellow congregants, etc. -- will be able to find what she blabbed to someone back when she was fifteen. Do you think she's going to feel good about having said that when she's 35?

Sylvia
09-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Do you think she's going to feel good about having said that when she's 35?
Here's my standard reply to this question that always seems to pop up whenever Katy Taylor's name is brought up ;):
According to this archived January 2008 Houston Chronicle article (http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2008_4500686) on Katy Taylor:

She's given up her dream of buying a hot pink Hummer - "I look back now and ask, `Why did I want that?'" she said, laughing - and is comfortable driving her grandmother's white Buick.
Taylor will turn 23 in October - hard to believe!

BTW, @SarahandDrew tweeted last week:
"Congratulations to Katy Taylor on the birth of her daughter, Autumn Lynn, two days ago."
:)

Cheylana
09-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Katy Taylor had a baby?! :eek:

Coco
09-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Wow! I feel old! Congratulations!

valyrian
09-02-2012, 05:01 PM
In the case of Rachael, I'm pretty sure she doesn't sit down and write press releases about her grades, or design graphics for NBC showing her classes. Katy made one remark when she was sixteen that people leapt on because it was funny. Mirai has said a bunch of interesting-but-normal-for-a-girl-her-age things, and sometimes it feels that Icenetwork/Frank/whoever her agent is took the opportunity to shop her around as a sensitive artiste on the basis of her talking like a typical creative teenager. I don't think it's fair to assume that Rachael or Katy or Mirai or any young skater (especially a young female skater) has personal control of their media narrative, and to get annoyed at them because their agents/the media have decided to use one aspect of their lives as a theme strikes me as fairly ridiculous. And really, there are much, much worse things to have on the internet.

More on-topic: I'm a bit annoyed at USFSA that they set Courtney Hicks and Angela Wang face-to-face at Lake Placid, but what's done is done. I'm quite hopeful that Angela will get another JGP assignment, and I think she has the talent to medal at the JGPF or even at Junior Worlds. I'm also much more impressed by Leah Keiser at Golden West than I thought I would be. THe program needs more mileage, obviously, but in my opinion she was hitting the musical accents well and I'm looking forward to seeing her again. :)

Marco
09-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Hicks' jump layout in the free skate at the Lake Placid JGP bothers me. She didn't do a 3 jump combination and she did a 3loop sequence. [And the same happened at Glacier Falls.] If she did a 3loop2toe2loop and then a 2axel - 2axel sequence, she could maximise her points. Why didn't she?!

olympic
09-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Hicks' jump layout in the free skate at the Lake Placid JGP bothers me. She didn't do a 3 jump combination and she did a 3loop sequence. [And the same happened at Glacier Falls.] If she did a 3loop2toe2loop and then a 2axel - 2axel sequence, she could maximise her points. Why didn't she?!

More importantly, why isn't her free leg straight on the Camel Spin, and why doesn't she simply chack the Biellmann :P

Sylvia
09-02-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm also much more impressed by Leah Keiser at Golden West than I thought I would be. THe program needs more mileage, obviously, but in my opinion she was hitting the musical accents well and I'm looking forward to seeing her again. :)
I've been told that Keiser plans to skate the Junior version of her FS tonight at Golden West in preparation for her upcoming JGP. So that means she will take the automatic time deduction since the Senior FS is 30 seconds longer than Junior.