PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

pinky166
11-13-2012, 04:41 AM
I went to 2009 4CC where Mao and Joannie both competed and medaled...so yes, I have seen them in person standing side by side. They looked different to me. Anyways I'm just going to shut up now because I can't win. But anyone who is at this level of skating is training a ton so clearly things besides diet and exercise are coming in to play. Have you seen the documentary why are thin people not fat? I digress..And I do personally know quite a few high level skaters so I hear things and yeah. Doesn't mean I'm right or that they are necessarily telling the truth but anyways, the only speculation I said regarding Zhang was that she looked more in shape last season around Nationals compared to now, and at that time, she looked to be in peak form, while still having a different body type from a lot of the other top skaters. That's it.

pinky166
11-13-2012, 04:42 AM
Yay Mirai....wonder if Alissa will be ready? Her whole situation is a bit of a mystery...

Would Mirai need to win NHK to make the GPF or could she qualify with a silver? Of course even that would be a stretch, but it would be cool if she could make the GPF!

icellist
11-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Mirai would need a gold to make the GPF. I think it's safe to assume that Kiira Korpi, Mao Asada, Ashley Wagner, Akiko Suzuki, and Julia Lipnitskaya are going to make the final.

With one spot left, I think the contenders are Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Christina Gao, Agnes Zawadzki, and Mirai Nagasu.

I don't expect Christina to medal at TEB. But she has the only silver of the bunch. She wins the tie breaker (because I don't expect the other 4 to win gold at their events either, and have a slight chance to win silver too). She has a pretty good chance of getting in because she skated at a weak event.

Both Liza and Mirai earned the pewter at their events, but I think they're probably be bronze at their second event (especially if the other Agnes shows up at NHK).

Statistically, Christina has a really good chance of getting into the final. But I'd like the underdog to get in: Liza or Mirai. I love Agnes but she's not consistent at performing. But you're basically seeing the 6th and sub list for GPF right now

Jarrett
11-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Christina may have skated at a "weak event" but her programs would have held up as silver at ANY of the events so far if she skated the same programs.

pinky166
11-13-2012, 06:23 AM
But with the medals of Sotnikova, Gold, and Murakami not counting, couldn't that mean someone with a 4th and a 2nd could get into the final? So if Mirai were to get 2nd at NHK, she might get in, especially if Christina were to finish say 5th and be out of the running and Liza was 3rd or lower and also out of the picture. I could definitely see Wagner and Lipinskaya going 1 and 2, with Liza 3rd, then Christina 4th or 5th. If she's 4th and Mirai was 2nd at TEB, it would come down to the total score tiebreaker, but either girl would get in before Liza, and if Christina were to finish say 5th, possible considering Korobeynikova could feasibly come out ahead, then Christina and Liza would be out of the running and Mirai with a silver would likely be in. So I don't think Mirai necessarily has to win NHK to get to the GPF, it's just dependant on what Liza, Christina, and Agnes do, but Agnes with another bronze would still be behind Mirai with a silver so, really, I think Mirai could get in with a silver, as Liza getting bronze and Christina 4th or 5th at TEB and Agnes 3rd or 4th at NHK is very realistic IMO. Mirai's silver might be more far fetched but I think she could maybe beat Mao if Mao URs her jumps again and Mirai doesn't.

I will say Christina does have good odds, because if Mirai is lower than silver, and she can manage a 4th, without Liza or Agnes getting a silver or higher, then she's probably in.

Marco
11-13-2012, 06:44 AM
I said regarding Zhang was that she looked more in shape last season around Nationals compared to now, and at that time, she looked to be in peak form, while still having a different body type from a lot of the other top skaters. That's it.

Not to mention much more confident.

victoriaheidi
11-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Honestly, I still consider Christina the underdog and I'd love to see her in the GPF.

pinky166
11-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Not to mention much more confident.

I would agree. I think it was probably easier to be in the underdog position last season, no one really expected much from her, then she came out and was fit, confident, and skating really well and took everyone by surprise. Now she's back to having 2 GPs and people have expectations and all of a sudden it's like she's gone back to the very self-conscious and visibly frustrated skater we saw in 2010-2011 and the beginning part of last season too. I think she must be injured, it would explain her spins being worse than usual, the pained expressions during her skates, the slowness and cautiousness, and obviously that can affect one's training. I don't think she's ever going to be a world beater, but it would be nice if she could show last winter wasn't a fluke and get back up to that level of skating and confidence.

olympic
11-13-2012, 02:09 PM
I would agree. I think it was probably easier to be in the underdog position last season, no one really expected much from her, then she came out and was fit, confident, and skating really well and took everyone by surprise. Now she's back to having 2 GPs and people have expectations and all of a sudden it's like she's gone back to the very self-conscious and visibly frustrated skater we saw in 2010-2011 and the beginning part of last season too. I think she must be injured, it would explain her spins being worse than usual, the pained expressions during her skates, the slowness and cautiousness, and obviously that can affect one's training. I don't think she's ever going to be a world beater, but it would be nice if she could show last winter wasn't a fluke and get back up to that level of skating and confidence.

I think it has been noted in other threads that CZ is dealing w/ some sort of back problem although it hasn't been confirmed by Team Zhang that this is the cause for her early season woes, AFAIK. Maybe she can rest now and get ready for Nationals.

kwanatic
11-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Okay, sorry to gush but I just fell in love!

I've seen Haley Dunne's name mentioned a few times but I'd never seen her skate. I'm watching sectionals on Icenetwork and I just saw Haley's SP...ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! Just wow...so elegant and graceful, gorgeous presentation, her program was so well done, she connected to the music and the judges, and her jumps have a lightness about them that is so beautiful!

I couldn't find her performance from sectionals but here's her SP from Liberty earlier this summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNXEdqmRUAY

Sorry to gush but I wasn't expecting to see that kind of skating at sectionals! Okay, I'm done. :)

Sylvia
11-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Haley Dunne's 1st place Easterns SP (58.20) is up on IceNetwork for subscribers (maybe it will turn up on YouTube later) and was a really great performance! :) She didn't fare as well in the FS yesterday but she qualified for Nationals again at the Senior level.

SENIOR LADIES Qualifiers to 2013 Nationals so far:
Easterns 1-4: Samantha Cesario 163.53, Yasmin Siraj 151.35, Haley Dunne 139.69, Joelle Forte 136.47 [5th: Lauren Dinh 135.68];
Mids 1-4: Ashley Cain 161.49, Becky Bereswill 149.44, Kiri Baga 141.42, Morgan Bell 133.06 [5th-6th: Carly Gold 124.28, Nina Jiang 118.42];
Pacs Ladies 1-7 (after SP; FS is later today): Vanessa Lam 59.43 (highest SP score of all Sr. Ladies at Sectionals), Courtney Hicks 57.80, Sophia Adams 46.33, Amanda Hofmann 44.36, Carolyn-Ann Alba 42.24, Anna Malkova 41.53, Laney Diggs 40.01

ETA final results:
Pacs Ladies 1-4: Vanessa Lam 177.73, Courtney Hicks 161.72, Sophia Adams 131.49, Amanda Hofmann 122.29 [5th Laney Diggs 120.78]

missing
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Okay, sorry to gush but I just fell in love!

I've seen Haley Dunne's name mentioned a few times but I'd never seen her skate. I'm watching sectionals on Icenetwork and I just saw Haley's SP...ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! Just wow...so elegant and graceful, gorgeous presentation, her program was so well done, she connected to the music and the judges, and her jumps have a lightness about them that is so beautiful!

I couldn't find her performance from sectionals but here's her SP from Liberty earlier this summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNXEdqmRUAY

Sorry to gush but I wasn't expecting to see that kind of skating at sectionals! Okay, I'm done. :)

I had the exact same reaction. In particular, I thought her layback was one of the best (possibly the best) I've ever seen.

IceNetwork didn't show her freeskate, but I guess it wasn't as successful as her short program. But I'm eager to see how she does at Nationals.

kwanatic
11-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Haley Dunne's 1st place Easterns SP (58.20) is up on IceNetwork for subscribers (maybe it will turn up on YouTube later) and was a really great performance! :) She didn't fare as well in the FS yesterday but she qualified for Nationals again at the Senior level.

SENIOR LADIES Qualifiers to 2013 Nationals so far:
Easterns 1-4: Samantha Cesario 163.53, Yasmin Siraj 151.35, Haley Dunne 139.69, Joelle Forte 136.47 [5th: Lauren Dinh 135.68];
Mids 1-4: Ashley Cain 161.49, Becky Bereswill 149.44, Kiri Baga 141.42, Morgan Bell 133.06 [5th-6th: Carly Gold 124.28, Nina Jiang 118.42];
Pacs Ladies 1-7 (after SP; FS is later today): Vanessa Lam 59.43 (highest SP score of all Sr. Ladies at Sectionals), Courtney Hicks 57.80, Sophia Adams 46.33, Amanda Hofmann 44.36, Carolyn-Ann Alba 42.24, Anna Malkova 41.53, Laney Diggs 40.01

Good to know she made it to nationals! She's such a lovely skater!:) Samantha was wonderful in the SP as well (very saucy and mature!) and I'm glad to see Yasmin recovered. Her SP was beautiful but she popped her lutz.

Wow! Vanessa nearly got 60pts? Does that mean her jumps are doing better? At the beginning of the JGP she wasn't looking too hot... I need to go back and see that as well. If Courtney isn't leading that probably means she made a mistake.

Yep, I'll probably be watching sectionals all day long...:P

olympic
11-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Good to know she made it to nationals! She's such a lovely skater!:) Samantha was wonderful in the SP as well (very saucy and mature!) and I'm glad to see Yasmin recovered. Her SP was beautiful but she popped her lutz.

Wow! Vanessa nearly got 60pts? Does that mean her jumps are doing better? At the beginning of the JGP she wasn't looking too hot... I need to go back and see that as well. If Courtney isn't leading that probably means she made a mistake.

Yep, I'll probably be watching sectionals all day long...:P

Vanessa has a pattern of doing really well in smaller competitions, but then really underperforming on the bigger stage

kwanatic
11-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Vanessa has a pattern of doing really well in smaller competitions, but then really underperforming on the bigger stage

Well this season it seems like she's teeter-tottering...

She did really well at Glacier Falls (I think that was the competition) and then not so well at her one JGP event...now she appears to be doing well at sectionals....

Has she competed since JGP Courchevel? I believe that was the first JGP event of the season...