PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

mrinalini
11-11-2012, 12:27 AM
aren't you sweet............

I'm not trying to start anything; I really do think that her lack of fitness is impeding her performance. I remember that she looked somewhat similar early last season and the skating also looked laboured; flash forward to Nationals and she was suddenly slimmer and fitter and performed a thousand times better, too. The jumps had more amplitude, she skated with more speed and freedom; everything just seemed so improved.

I'm not normally body conscious when watching anyone on television, so for me to notice that Caroline appears to be out of shape for an elite athlete...well, I really do think that she must be.

demetriosj
11-11-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm not trying to start anything; I really do think that her lack of fitness is impeding her performance. I remember that she looked somewhat similar early last season and the skating also looked laboured; flash forward to Nationals and she was suddenly slimmer and fitter and performed a thousand times better, too. The jumps had more amplitude, she skated with more speed and freedom; everything just seemed so improved.

I'm not normally body conscious when watching anyone on television, so for me to notice that Caroline appears to be out of shape for an elite athlete...well I really do think that she must be.

Maybe her "lack or fitness" is the result of being injured and not being able to train?

My guess would be that she is possibly injured and therefore can't train properly, or as often, hence the appearance of being out of shape and skating slowly?

smarts1
11-11-2012, 12:39 AM
^ Yes, I honestly do think she is dealing with some sort of injury.

mrinalini
11-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Maybe her "lack or fitness" is the result of being injured and not being able to train?

My guess would be that she is possibly injured and therefore can't train properly, or as often, hence the appearance of being out of shape and skating slowly?

I've no clue as to why her training is affected (if that is even the case) and I won't even begin to speculate, but to me it's clear that she is out of shape and so it's unsurprising that her skating looked as bad as it did at the CoR.

Take skaters like Kiira and Carolina - they're taller and bigger-boned than the average female skater but they look totally fit and toned and not at all out of shape. I think about how Caroline looked like at this competition and...to me, the contrast is just so stark.

triple_toe
11-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Kiira and Carolina are in no way big-boned. Tall yes, but very, very thin in person. Tiny.

Coco
11-11-2012, 01:04 AM
If it came out that Caroline had back problems, I wouldn't be surprised :( That pearl spin can't be healthy.

I hope she has a strong nationals.

mrinalini
11-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Kiira and Carolina are in no way big-boned. Tall yes, but very, very thin in person. Tiny.

I've never seen them in person so I wouldn't know...anyway, I didn't say they were big-boned, I said they looked bigger-boned in comparison to the average female skater, i.e. some of the Russian wunderbabies, Mao, Christina Gao...and that is only on television or my tiny computer screen. In person, they could all look deathly thin or the opposite or whatever; I wouldn't know.

pinky166
11-11-2012, 01:15 AM

This is true but this is the normal for female figure skaters. Caroline now has a bigger build/frame for a ladies figure skater to begin with, so it's especially important she is in fighting shape due to this. Other people are thin naturally and would be regardless of if they were an elite athlete, but for Caroline it's very apparent her body build is curvy by nature. Also she's no longer short, and sometimes if you're very petite in terms of height, you can get away with being a bit curvier/heavier build wise because your center of gravity will be lower and the weight is still likely quite low just from being short so the jumps are easier. Rochette, Leonova, Flatt in her prime are examples of skaters who were not stick thin but could still jump well, but they are all like 5'2", while Caroline is listed as 5'5". Usually, the taller you are, the more important it is to be thin if you're a top ladies skater. There are a fair amount of taller ladies in elite skating these days, but if you notice, the ones that are successful are really really thin for the most part, like Kiira, Carolina, Polina K. Agnes may not be a stick but she's extremely toned and has a very athletic build. Just looking at Caroline's arms and legs, she does not look like an elite athlete. Plus her hourglass shape is not doing her favors. It's unfortunate that she needs to be skating her very best and in top condition to even be competitive at this level, but that's unfortunately the reality. If she's injured though she may be better sitting out to heal until she's better.

orbitz
11-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I noticed when watching her LP at the 4:00 mark, during the spiral, she had a look of pain on her face. I hope she is OK ...

I thought she was emoting :lol:

It is sad for Zhang. I don't think there's anything more she can do now to improve at this stage of her career. A 3-3 in the SP might give her 1 or 2 higher placement, but her overall standing will still be relatively low.

VarBar
11-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Well done by Gracie and Agnes at CoR. I am very proud of Agnes that she didn't fall apart again in her free skate and, to me, she has better skating skills than Gracie. But Gracie's got something about her that I would call star quality. Good luck to both ladies at US Nationals.:kickass:

victoriaheidi
11-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Barbie Long landed a 3lz-3t at Mids. Can't find a video...but still, not that common for US ladies!

Sylvia
11-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Barbie Long's JGP Slovenia videos should be up on YouTube - she landed 3Lz+3T in both programs (SP was better). She just skated her SP at Mids (I watched IceNetwork's live stream this morning).

Jammers
11-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Well done by Gracie and Agnes at CoR. I am very proud of Agnes that she didn't fall apart again in her free skate and, to me, she has better skating skills than Gracie. But Gracie's got something about her that I would call star quality. Good luck to both ladies at US Nationals.:kickass:

I'm not sure about that. Gracie has more speed and when she's smoothed out her skating i think she will be much better then Agnes.

demetriosj
11-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm not sure about that. Gracie has more speed and when she's smoothed out her skating i think she will be much better then Agnes.

Maybe, if she can remain injury-free, but that might be difficult considering her coach's alleged overtraining history.

demetriosj
11-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Barbie Long landed a 3lz-3t at Mids. Can't find a video...but still, not that common for US ladies!

What are the chances of Barbie Long getting sent to Junior World's this season? Sounds like it's hers to lose?