PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

edonice
11-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Her movements aren't as crisp and bright as they were in 2010, but they're way better than they were last season. Also, she's always been a late season skater.

And PCS does tend to be awarded based on history. Take, for example, Gao's short program two weeks ago. Her PCS seemed to be awarded based on what the judges expected, not on what she did.

kwanatic
11-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Her movements aren't as crisp and bright as they were in 2010, but they're way better than they were last season. Also, she's always been a late season skater.

And PCS does tend to be awarded based on history. Take, for example, Gao's short program two weeks ago. Her PCS seemed to be awarded based on what the judges expected, not on what she did.

Reputation building is part of the sport. Gao was terrible on the GP last season so the international judges didn't expect anything from her. After she backed up her solid (yet underscored) SP with a solid FS, her scores went up. At TEB if she skates her SP strongly, I'd expect to see higher marks. If she goes to TEB and performs her SP from SA the exact same way she'll probably see a +3 or +4 increase to her score. It sucks but that's the way it is most of the time...

peibeck
11-02-2012, 06:25 PM
... and her Transitions mark was below 7.

Mirai's program was not exactly transition heavy, and I would not say this is in any way a great piece of choreography for her. However, she skated with much more attack and personality at CoC then at Finlandia, which is very good to see.

chipso1
11-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Mirai seemed happy with her score, which is good. To me, the scores don't matter for her as much right now. I think what's more important is that she get her attack and confidence back, so to speak. Wendy Olson seems like a fabulous coach for her that is bringing out her best, and I hope she continues to improve right on up to Nationals. Today's SP was already way better than her Finlandia SP, so that's nice to see.

mrinalini
11-02-2012, 10:50 PM
I thought Mirai was pretty fantastic, tbh. And this is coming from someone who doesn't normally enjoy 'sassy' programs - I thought she attacked the program with a great deal of zest, and everything she did out there just seemed so alive. Contrast her with Mao, who skated to somewhat similar music, but who I thought was pretty much reigned in throughout her performance except for during the footwork sequence. I don't see how Mirai could have performed any better save the UR jump combo.

I'd have both Mao and Mirai ahead of Julia, who I thought was utterly without substance - she's still a very juniorish skater, showcasing her flexibility just to impress and whose jumps (to my mind, at least) look a bit off and not even that great.

Alex Forrest
11-02-2012, 11:57 PM
I don't think there's anyone saying it will be a slam dunk for Gao to get gold or silver at Nationals. It's not just her result at SA that is making people pick her in that poll- its the fact that her programs are better than ever before, her music choices are smart, she's with new coaches, and her actual skating has improved.

I was highly impressed with Gao's improvements. She's lost the coltishness and the Yuna-be skating, and has matured into an elegant, graceful and very pretty skater. Mark and Peter are no doubt the change she needed. But isn't this her first semester at Harvard? Wow. Look what happened to Rachael's skating after only a couple months at Stanford. So doubly impressive that Gao has sort of reinvented herself and is skating better than ever.

Nagasu is looking very determined this season. Her Finlandia was strong skating, which is nice to see. I have no idea how she lost second to Korpi there to be honest, unless there really is a five point SWP bonus.

These two are pleasantly surprising me so far this season. I'd written them off after Nationals. Just goes to show you an inspired skater can achieve wonders.

Alex Forrest
11-03-2012, 12:00 AM
I'd have both Mao and Mirai ahead of Julia, who I thought was utterly without substance - she's still a very juniorish skater, showcasing her flexibility just to impress and whose jumps (to my mind, at least) look a bit off and not even that great.

Julia's SP is the perfect example of Russian nonsubstantive choreo. Her LP I think is exquisite though. It's funny how she's going through Sasha's greatest hits. I wouldn't be surprised if she did Romeo and Juliet next for Olys. (Or wait, did she already do that last season?) If so, it shall be Swan Lake for Olys. LOL

kwanatic
11-03-2012, 04:12 AM
Julia's SP is the perfect example of Russian nonsubstantive choreo. Her LP I think is exquisite though. It's funny how she's going through Sasha's greatest hits. I wouldn't be surprised if she did Romeo and Juliet next for Olys. (Or wait, did she already do that last season?) If so, it shall be Swan Lake for Olys. LOL

She skated to Dark Eyes and R&J last season.

I think Julia would be great if she had the right vehicle, but as of now both of her programs are very weak IMO. The final 25 seconds of her LP is the only part of her program where the choreography actually acknowledges the music. Despite her slightly more mature presentation, the rest of Julia's skating is very juniorish: jump, skate, jump, skate, jump, skate...oh and throw in 2 or 3 leg lifts.

Somebody please get that child away from Morosov!

judgejudy27
11-03-2012, 05:54 AM
The judges are not impressed with Julia's artistry. She got really low PCS compared to the others. She definitely needs to figure out what she has to do differently to get higher PCS.

change of edge
11-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Mirai skated what seemed to be a clean program, and then got massive underrotations and downgrades. I'm so upset for her. She only got credit for one triple. I think she really needed this medal at cup of china for her confidence and international reputation, especially since she doesn't have another GP assignment.

chipso1
11-03-2012, 02:50 PM
The tech panel seemed very harsh, though. Even Mao was only credited with 3 clean triples, and Julia had some << and < as well. Mirai's got some work to do, but overall I'd say this competition was a positive one for her.

burntBREAD
11-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Does Mirai actually lip? I recall her getting called for that a while ago but I don't think she actually takes off on an outside edge, just rolls back to the inside at the last moment.

haribobo
11-03-2012, 04:40 PM
The 3t on the end of the 2ax was an obvious 1/2 turn underrotation even in real time. Most of her jumps were a bit grind-y and on the slow-mo replay were 1/4 turn cheats. The loops, however, both looked clean to me- they didn't slow-mo the 2nd on the video I watched but it didn't seem in real time to have anything wrong that I could see. If you watch Christina Gao's FS from Skate America to compare, Christina's jumps appear much more effortless and clean.

aftershocks
11-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Just looking in real time, I thought Mirai seemed to perform better overall than Korpi as Korpi popped two jumps and had problems on her three jump combo, although she appeared to land her 3/3 at the opening, and her music and costume are lovely, plus she probably gets points for how good she looks on the ice.

I think Mirai has lovely costumes this season too. It's really too bad Mirai couldn't at least win the bronze. I don't like JLip's skating at all. Haven't seen Mao's performance yet but I heard she had problems with her jumps. Mirai seemed disappointed in the kiss 'n cry, but she gave a good effort. She should feel good about herself, and just work on the technical problems to ensure the judges can't ding her on edge calls and rotations and keep her down in the marks.

smarts1
11-03-2012, 06:08 PM
I think some of Mirai's jumps have gotten worse under Olsen. She doesn't get as tight in the rotation as she used and for someone like Mirai the rotation position is key to fully rotating the jump. Olsen said in an interview that they were going to work on her rotation position after Finlandia, but it doesn't seem like they did much to it. And I wish they would go back to the three turn entrance on the flip. The mohawk entrance makes her "lip" look even worse I think. Her jumps were pretty close on rotation and it didn't seem like she was getting the same spring she normally gets on her jumps. The lutz, first flip, and second loop were all < worthy (which they did get) and the triple toe obviously was a << (since she didn't have a great landing on the axel). The second flip getting the < is a little :confused: to me. The rotation seemed fine.

Either way though, it's good to see her emoting more. Out on the ice. I wish they would rework the last 20 seconds of her LP though. The choreography really doesn't fit the music.