PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

chipso1
08-25-2012, 03:10 AM
Good heavens, it's always the end of the world if a US lady doesn't medal. :lol:

It's not the end of the world, but it will be very hard for her to make the Final now, especially with only 6 ladies qualifying.

It wouldn't be such an issue if the U.S. didn't have such great depth in junior eligible ladies, but we do.

jlai
08-25-2012, 03:14 AM
Lam hasn't medalled at her last 3 junior events (jgpf, junior world and this comp). I am not even a fan of Barbie Long, but I hope USFS gives her a chance. (I hope USFS gives every promising lady a chance.)

Sylvia
08-25-2012, 03:16 AM
I don't believe peibeck has been following the "2012-13 U.S. JGP Assignment Predictions/Speculation/Discussion" thread as closely as some of us so we should ease up a little. :lol:

Total scores of 130+ in U.S. summer competitions with published results; known international assignments and, now, first international results included:

SENIOR
173.29 Gracie Gold (Skate Detroit) - Salt Lake Sr B, 2 Grand Prix
172.30 Vanessa Lam (Hidden Valley Open); 140.89, 4th at JGP France
168.48 Hannah Miller (Skate Detroit) - JGP Austria
168.42 Leah Keiser (All Year FSC comp.) - JGP Turkey
167.36 Angela Wang (Colorado Championships, Jr.) - JGP Lake Placid
158.23 Samantha Cesario (Liberty) - JGP Austria
156.60 Mirai Nagasu (Glacier Falls) - 1 GP
153.48 Agnes Zawadzki (Colorado Championships) - Salt Lake Sr B, 2 Grand Prix
149.87 Caroline Zhang (Hidden Valley Open) - Nebelhorn Sr B, 2 Grand Prix
146.25 Yasmin Siraj (Cranberry Open) - JGP alternate
145.48 Christina Gao (Cranberry Open) - 2 Grand Prix
145.10 Ashley Cain (Cannon Texas Open); 136.51, 5th at JGP France
144.23 Courtney Hicks (L.A. Open) - JGP Lake Placid
142.86 Joelle Forte (Liberty) - not in ISP
139.24 Kiri Baga (Skate Milwaukee) - JGP Lake Placid
138.87 Haley Dunne (Liberty) - not in ISP
132.83 Nina Jiang (Cannon Texas Open) - JGP Turkey
131.76 Carly Gold (Skate Milwaukee) - not in ISP
130.77 Becky Bereswill (Skate Detroit) - not in ISP

JUNIOR
170.06 Polina Edmunds (Broadmoor Open combined final round scores) - JGP alternate
157.93 Barbie Long (Broadmoor Open SP Only & FS qualifying scores added together) - JGP alternate
153.03 Karen Chen (Glacier Falls) - not in ISP (too young)
142.56 Maria Yang (Liberty) - not in ISP
141.80 Mariah Bell (Glacier Falls) - JGP alternate
134.05 Selena Zhao (Glacier Falls) - not in ISP

skfan
08-25-2012, 03:17 AM
never mind.

peibeck
08-25-2012, 03:41 AM
I don't believe peibeck has been following the "2012-13 U.S. JGP Assignment Predictions/Speculation/Discussion" thread as closely as some of us so we should ease up a little. :lol:

No, in fact, I have haven't followed the discussion at all since I am so busy with work during the summer.

I didn't know Polina or Barbie didn't even have an assignment yet, so please spare the arrows. :lol:

I guess I will have to create a Vanessa Lam voodoo doll as penance for being a bad skating fan now. :P

skfan
08-25-2012, 03:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=SP0A4BC08FA3A7DDA5&v=wWt8hc9kAms&feature=player_detailpage#t=138s

this looked very scary. can someone confirm that ashley cain is okay?

she was able to continue and (to my eyes) skated even better than before that fall, but i don't know if she changed her jump layout or something.

jlai
08-25-2012, 03:56 AM
I saw Ashley Cain skate in June, and she had a freak accident there during warmup and looked hurt afterwards. She fell on her triples during her skate. I hope this is not a recurring thing for her

I guess I will have to create a Vanessa Lam voodoo doll as penance for being a bad skating fan now. :P

:D

skfan
08-25-2012, 03:58 AM
^yes, i remember you mentioning such a fall. i hope cain's skating well towards the end of the courchevel program means all is well.

pinky166
08-25-2012, 05:10 AM
You're correct, sorry for my error. Still, I think she is deserving of another chance if it arises.

If there's room to send her after Barbie and Polina get sent to an event and no one else places better than her, then I don't have a problem with it, but 4th place with a 140 score means her chances of qualifying for the JGPF very slim, so in that case, I think the spread the wealth approach makes more sense. Even if Barbie and Polina get sent to the last event, medal, and don't get a chance to receive a second event and a shot to qualify for the final, at least they'd get the experience, WR points, and a chance to go to JW this season.

AliasJohnDoe
08-25-2012, 07:05 AM
The thread title brought back memories of the "Cover Girls" All That Glitters Isn't Gold (from clubbing in the 80's):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52L26P0g0Co

smarts1
08-25-2012, 02:16 PM
:confused: Mirai was doing the 2A/3T combo in practices and during the warm-up at Nationals. Mirai changed the layout of her FS program as she was skating it that night from what she had been practicing. I don't think that is Frank's fault.

Yeah, I thought she was going for a 2A-3T at first too, but then her planned elements sheet at Nationals said that she was only going to do a 2A-2T.

used2skate
08-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Courcheval was very high altitude. All the scores were low in Mens and Ladies due to the uncharecteristic amount of falls. It took it's toll on most of them!

Jenna
08-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Okay, so the US ladies were a bit disappointing in Courchevel. I'm not surprised about Cain's jump struggles at all (but kudos to her for landing two nice triples after a VERY hard fall!) Ashley a very nice skater to watch. She's mature and elegant with great skating skills and beautifully long lines but she has to work on making the jumps more consistent or she'll never find herself on any podium. Verdict: No further JGP assignments this fall.

Vanessa Lam's struggles were a bit more surprising. I'm beginning to wonder if she peaked at the Hidden Valley Open this year. I like her FS a lot, but it was littered with errors this time. I'm kind of shocked because she was doing/scoring so well this summer, but it happens. It's a shame she missed that last 2A because the fall + lack of the second 2A were what cost her the bronze. If she had won the bronze I would say go ahead and reassign her, but she didn't, and so I think she should not be reassigned yet. We have to wait until our medal contenders at the next events (Hicks, Wang, Cesario, Miller, Keiser) skate before we make a decision about Lam. If the majority of them perform poorly, she could find herself with a second assignment, but if the majority of them perform well (i.e. medal) then she's out.

skfan
08-25-2012, 04:31 PM
i can only accept giving vlam or any of the other already-assigned ladies a 2nd IF barbie, mariah, polina already have been assigned to one JGP each.

IMO if none of the presumed contenders skate and place well, none of them should get a second assignment. odds are some will place well and earn 2nd assignment, but why should USFS assign a 2nd to vanessa just because the other 'contenders' also fail to live up to expectations? have we run out of JGP eligible ladies already?

also, i don't understand why cain had such an advantage over lam in courchevel LP PCS. neither cain nor lam had especially attractive posture. cain's posture has gotten so much more horizontal in the last couple of years--it is disappointing to see. i also think lam's LP had more variations in speed, mood, more interesting choreography, and lam expressed the character of her program better. lam didn't have as many disruptive falls as cain, either.

look, i recognize that lam has improved her presentation tremendously from last season, and she didn't exactly bomb her first JGP, but the JGP pool in the US is deep. why should any skater receive 2 even if she didn't medal? because she was a pre-season favorite? :lol: are there so many JGP spots to go around that we don't have enough JGP eligible ladies to receive them? :lol:

polina edmunds, mariah bell, barbie long all deserve a shot at a first JGP more than any non-medaling contender deserve a shot at *two.* unless USFS have already put out the word that any JGP lady who scores more than say, 110 in a JGP LP (62 TES, or whatever) will get a second JGP regardless of where she finishes.

Triple Butz
08-25-2012, 07:22 PM
polina edmunds, mariah bell, barbie long all deserve a shot at a first JGP more than any non-medaling contender deserve a shot at *two.* unless USFS have already put out the word that any JGP lady who scores more than say, 110 in a JGP LP (62 TES, or whatever) will get a second JGP regardless of where she finishes.

ITA!