PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Jemestone
10-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Rachael got into Dartmouth, University of Denver, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Princeton, Stanford, UCLA and Yale. She was accepted to all but Harvard, which put her on the waiting list. But I guess only dumb people get into those schools listed above :rolleyes:

bek
10-22-2012, 01:00 AM
Okay so commentators were talking about how Gao got a perfect score on her math SAT, they didn't say the same thing for Rachael, so I'm assuming she didn't. Rachael applied to Harvard and didn't get in, Gao got in to both Harvard and Stanford. So based on that, I think it's safe to assume Christina is probably naturally smarter.

Also, did you see Christina and Rachael as little kids? Christina was as gangly and skinny as a colt, while even at her thinnest as a young teen, Rachael never had that gangly tween look, ever. So I'm assuming genetics play a factor into this. They are both competitive skaters and train a lot, so their difference in body types has to be explained by genetics and/or eating habits. Also has anyone ever said Rachael Flatt has the exactly right body type for skating?? If they have I've certainly missed it.

Anyways, any skater at this level works really hard, I'm not denying that. But for Rachael, extremely hard work on her skating was necessary for her to be competitive at the top level, whereas for Christina, because she's such a great natural jumper and has her body type working in her favor, she maybe doesn't need to be dedicating all her time to skating to be competitive at an international level.

As for socialization, I have no idea, I'm just judging from twitter and articles. Rachael talks about being in a sorority, going to football games, and regularly tweets about Stanford events, while as for Christina, I saw a picture of her hanging out with Ross Miner and Harrison Choate at the rink on a Friday, so I kind of assumed that meant she wasn't at a rager instead.

Sorry to sound presumptious, but really, some things just come easier to people. Hard work will only get you so far.

There's a lot that goes into getting into an ivy league school that has nothing to do with how smart you are. When a school has a choice between a lot of kids with amazing test scores and grades. For example if your a legacy that helps. They might have liked that Christina lived in another country (and does she speak Chinese?) One test score doesn't prove anything either (and who knows if Rachael did higher in another portion) Both seem quite intelligent to me.

burntBREAD
10-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Lol! I got a perfect score on my SAT and I didn't get into any Ivy League schools. That's hilarious. College admissions =/= test scores =/= intelligence. My highest score on an SAT before that was 2200. I definitely think at least half of it was luck, same with college admissions. There are SO many qualified students now that universities have a tremendously difficult time selecting which students are to be admitted.

Jammers
10-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Christina lived in another country?

leafygreens
10-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Rachael is just not pleasant to watch. Sorry. Everything about her skating looks so labored, it's hard to believe she was a national champion and Olympian just two years ago. I get the feeling USFS was giving her one last chance with the SA assignment.

Jemestone
10-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Well yeah Canada, she trained with Orser.

bek
10-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Christina lived in another country?

Last I checked Canada is another country.

RD
10-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Gao. Who would have thought we'd even be mentioning her now? Wow. Top 5 was gonna be a stretch and she ends up medaling- a silver to boot. Amazing.

BUT- I would not start throwing her name in with the contenders just yet. That was only one competition and she skated about the best she possibly could. And we all know skating is all about CONSISTENCY. Can she repeat this feat, start building up or was this simply the competition of her life?

Wagner is on the right track. Congrats to her on her first GP win.

And Flatt - well, pretty much what I expected. At least she didn't finish last!

P.S. Pinky - don't ever confuse "book smarts" with "street smarts"...totally different things.

demetriosj
10-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Nationals in 2014 will be a brutal fight.

If judged fairly, Nationals 2013 should be a brutal fight!!

Jammers
10-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Last I checked Canada is another country.

I don't see how that would matter in getting into Havard. It's not like Canada is such a big difference when it comes to culture or language compared to the US. Now i can see living somewhere else like Italy or Germany would be more impressive since it's a totally different culture and a different language.

chipso1
10-22-2012, 01:37 AM
After Skate America...Wagner's first GP title and Gao's first GP medal!

2012-13 U.S. Ladies -- Top International Scores

1. Ashley WAGNER (188.37), Skate America
2. Christina GAO (174.25), Skate America
3. Agnes ZAWADZKI (172.95), U.S. Classic
4. Gracie GOLD (171.15), U.S. Classic
5. Mirai NAGASU (163.09), Finlandia Trophy
6. Angela WANG (162.65), JGP Zagreb

7. Hannah MILLER (158.52), JGP Linz
8. Samantha CESARIO (157.72), JGP Linz
9. Leah KEISER (156.33), JGP Istanbul
10. Courtney HICKS (153.77), JGP Lake Placid
11. Barbie LONG (147.19), JGP Bled
12. Kiri BAGA (142.22), JGP Lake Placid

13. Vanessa LAM (140.89), JGP Courchevel
14. Ashley CAIN (136.51), JGP Courchevel
15. Rachael FLATT (136.09), Skate America
16. Caroline ZHANG (124.13), Nebelhorn Trophy
17. Nina JIANG (115.48), JGP Istanbul

Japan Open (free skate only) scores: Ashley WAGNER (123.57); Agnes ZAWADZKI (89.95)

Upcoming assignments:

Skate Canada (Gracie GOLD, Caroline ZHANG)
Cup of China (Mirai NAGASU)
Ice Challenge (Rachael FLATT)
Rostelecom Cup (Gracie GOLD, Agnes ZAWADZKI, Caroline ZHANG)
Trophee Eric Bompard (Christina GAO, Ashley WAGNER)
NHK Trophy (Alissa CZISNY, Agnes ZAWADZKI)
JGP Final (Leah KEISER, Hannah MILLER, Angela WANG)

bek
10-22-2012, 01:42 AM
I don't see how that would matter in getting into Havard. It's not like Canada is such a big difference when it comes to culture or language compared to the US. Now i can see living somewhere else like Italy or Germany would be more impressive since it's a totally different culture and a different language.

Anything though might give you an edge.

orbitz
10-22-2012, 02:25 AM
Gao. Who would have thought we'd even be mentioning her now? Wow. Top 5 was gonna be a stretch and she ends up medaling- a silver to boot. Amazing.

BUT- I would not start throwing her name in with the contenders just yet. That was only one competition and she skated about the best she possibly could. And we all know skating is all about CONSISTENCY. Can she repeat this feat, start building up or was this simply the competition of her life?

ITA. I remember when Jennifer Kirk finished 2nd at SA, and many people felt that she was finally on her way to being a contender. It never happened. I hope Gao can keep up this level of skating.

demetriosj
10-22-2012, 02:25 AM
The Lifeskate blog posted e-mail interviews with Rachael Flatt and Christina Gao conducted before they competed at Skate America and I'm cross-posting them here as well as in the Skate America forum in Kiss an Cry:

Rachael Flatt fights back at her critics by being happy (http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/2012/10/rachael-flatt-fights-back-at-her-critics-by-being-happy.html) (Oct. 12, 2012)

Christina Gao, Harvard student, sets eyes on Sochi Olympics (http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/2012/10/christina-gao-harvard-student-sets-eyes-on-sochi-olympics-.html) (Oct. 19, 2012)

Wow! I have so much respect for competitive skaters who can do the almost impossible task of competing and attending a brick and mortar high school simultaneously.

but highly regarded universities?-this is phenomenal!! Kudos to them both.

victoriaheidi
10-22-2012, 02:26 AM
Just to throw this out there: my best friend had a 3.95 GPA, 2280 SAT and great extracurriculars and didn't get into a single Ivy. The next year, people from our high school with weaker stats got into better schools than the ones my friend did. It's really got nothing to do with straight-up book smarts or perceived intelligence.