PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

pinky166
10-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Katerina Kulgeyko withdrew from Senior Ladies. Any news?

I know she's struggled with shin splints in the past, and something like that can often be a long-term, nagging injury/condition that never really goes away or fully heals, so it could be that. But I haven't heard anything.

victoriaheidi
10-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Cesario will be 19 as of July 1, 2013, which means she will age out of ISU Junior in 2013-14.

Oh, I thought it was 19 or under, not under 19. Thanks for the clarification!

Marco
10-16-2012, 08:57 PM
If at her second JGP, Cesario had skated the great free skate like she did at her first JGP and gotten the same score, she would have had done just enough to win silver there and qualified herself for JGPF despite her poor short program.

It's just bad luck with injuries for her, season after season. :(

smarts1
10-16-2012, 09:32 PM
The problem is Cesario and Keiser needed to go 1 and 2 to push out Pogorilaya from the JGPF. If Cesario got second, Keiser would have been pushed out of the final.

olympic
10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Cesario will be 19 as of July 1, 2013, which means she will age out of ISU Junior in 2013-14.

ETA that I don't think ioana will mind if I re-post her "live" play-by-play comment about Yasmin Siraj's "Seven Years in Tibet" FS at New England Regionals from Kiss and Cry just now (she scored 101.85, her highest FS score of the season so far):

Thanks. I was just thinking about Yasmin and wondering what form she would be in. She's had consistency problems and I thought perhaps she'd get buried this season with the likes of Hannah Miller, Angela Wang, Samantha Cesario (pre-injury) and Leah Keiser doing quite well and moving towards the top.

Obviously, this isn't an international event, but the fact that she stayed off her butt and landed 2 3z's is a positive sign for her.

Maofan7
10-17-2012, 05:48 AM
New article (http://seattletimes.com/html/othersports/2019448488_skateamerica17.html) on Ashley Wagner

chipso1
10-18-2012, 01:16 AM
Another great article on Ashley (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121017&content_id=39873990&vkey=ice_news).

Wagner's choreographer, Phillip Mills, who assists John Nicks in coaching the skater in southern California, liked what he saw in Tokyo.

"To bring out a new program when you're defending U.S. champion is always scary," Mills said. "I think it has the potential to be a really great program, and I already started making little revisions to it, tweaking it here and there."

And regarding the infamous yellow dress: ;)

"I wanted something in the golden or yellow tone, to symbolize the gold she [Delilah] got for selling out Samson," Mills said. "We are going to make adjustments to the dress -- we're going to tone it down with a little extra red or orange beading -- and some adjustments to her hair color as we did last year. I want her to stand out the minute she stepped on to the ice, and it stands out for sure."

Sylvia
10-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks. I was just thinking about Yasmin and wondering what form she would be in. ...

Obviously, this isn't an international event, but the fact that she stayed off her butt and landed 2 3z's is a positive sign for her.
Yasmin Siraj had 1 jump (3T) called a fall in her New England Regional Senior Ladies FS, but otherwise it was a very good performance, I thought. Here are fan videos of Siraj at NE Regionals:
"Seven Years in Tibet" FS (scored 101.85): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREYtzU-Muk
"Daphnis et Chloe" SP (54.99): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tCxToClgg

Re-posting from the U.S. Regionals thread in Kiss and Cry -
Senior/Junior Ladies High Scores after 6 Regionals:
168.05 Vanessa Lam, All Year FSC [SWP, SR]
156.84* Yasmin Siraj, SC of Boston [NE, SR]
150.93 Barbie Long, Illinois Valley FSC [UGL, JR]
148.98* Kiri Baga, SC of Bloomington [UGL, SR]
145.75* Becky Bereswill, Detroit SC [EGL, SR]
144.97* Carly Gold, Wagon Wheel FSC [UGL, SR]
144.60* Lauren Dinh, SC of New York [NA, SR]
142.37* Chelsea Christopher, Winterhurst FSC [EGL, SR]
132.96* Jessica Young, DuPage FSC [UGL, SR]
130.88 Selena Zhao, Highland SC [NWP, JR]
130.54 Jordan Bauth, Amherst SC [NA, SR]
* indicates skater's highest known total score of the season so far

kwanatic
10-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Yasmin Siraj had 1 jump (3T) called a fall in her New England Regional Senior Ladies FS, but otherwise it was a very good performance, I thought. Here are fan videos of Siraj at NE Regionals:
"Seven Years in Tibet" FS (scored 101.85): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREYtzU-Muk
"Daphnis et Chloe" SP (54.99): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tCxToClgg

I adore her SP! It's the same one from last year but she's added some really great transitions to it, especially the steps going into and coming out of her 2A...and the entrance to her combo spin. It's such a beautiful program...

I've always loved Yasmin. She always has great music choices and wonderful choreography. I love her interpretation, expression and musicality. Even when the jumps don't work I still enjoy watching her skate b/c she performs so well. Both of those were really strong performances from her and she looks lovely...very beautiful costumes.

jiggs
10-18-2012, 05:01 PM
I adore her SP! It's the same one from last year but she's added some really great transitions to it, especially the steps going into and coming out of her 2A...and the entrance to her combo spin. It's such a beautiful program...

I agree. Already loved the program last season but she seems to have grown more as an artist and performs it even more beautifully now. I really hope she can get her jumps a little bigger, I would love to see her break through and do well internationally!

leapfrogonice
10-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I hope the US ladies have strong skates this week at SA. Flatt and Gao especially - have such plates being at Stanford and Harvard. A lot of respect for their juggling these challenges. Obviously for those making the focus 100% to skating, that can make a difference, but still. Would love to see satisfied faces at the end of this week.

olympic
10-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the scores and the clarification on Yasmin.

Also, Vanessa did well at regionals w/ 168 pts. She really has to get consistent, though. This is the 2d year in a row where she gets great scores early in the season but flubs her more important international assignments.

pinky166
10-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the scores and the clarification on Yasmin.

Also, Vanessa did well at regionals w/ 168 pts. She really has to get consistent, though. This is the 2d year in a row where she gets great scores early in the season but flubs her more important international assignments.

Yeah it's unfortunate in that she probably wants to compete on the GP next season, but her JGP this fall might be the only ISU event she competes in this season as there will be a lot of competition to make any of the JW, 4CC, or Worlds team, and her score of 140 is likely to be way outside of the top 25 SB scores list she'd need to get a garaunteed event, and her WS isn't so high either, and will drop lower if she doesn't compete in any other internationals this season, so those two factors combined would make it unlikely she'd get selected for an event, meaning her only hope would likely be a host pick at SA, which the selection for could potentially be competitive with more well known skaters like Flatt and Gao possibly in the mix depending on how they score this season and do at Nationals as well as someone like Samantha Cesario. I know her international PCS and GOE aren't that great but if she skated cleaner at her internationals her scores would still be significantly higher than her current SB which is unlikely to get her anything next season. Too bad.

olympic
10-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Yeah it's unfortunate in that she probably wants to compete on the GP next season, but her JGP this fall might be the only ISU event she competes in this season as there will be a lot of competition to make any of the JW, 4CC, or Worlds team, and her score of 140 is likely to be way outside of the top 25 SB scores list she'd need to get a garaunteed event, and her WS isn't so high either, and will drop lower if she doesn't compete in any other internationals this season, so those two factors combined would make it unlikely she'd get selected for an event, meaning her only hope would likely be a host pick at SA, which the selection for could potentially be competitive with more well known skaters like Flatt and Gao possibly in the mix depending on how they score this season and do at Nationals as well as someone like Samantha Cesario. I know her international PCS and GOE aren't that great but if she skated cleaner at her internationals her scores would still be significantly higher than her current SB which is unlikely to get her anything next season. Too bad.

I think Vanessa's only hope is at '13 Nats where she'll really have to outperform herself, unless there is some sort of Junior B event she could do.

Sylvia
10-19-2012, 03:22 PM
A Junior B event wouldn't count as an ISU SB score. In any case, Lam is 17 and has one more year of ISU Junior age eligibility left - she may elect to return to the JGP next year, depending on what happens at Nationals. She's graduating from public high school in June 2013 (according to her Team USA bio (http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=101153&mode=I)) and is an excellent student with plans to go to college. I don't see any need for gloom and doom about her future, on ice or off. :)