PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

skfan
09-23-2012, 10:16 PM
deleted.

icellist
09-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Skaters are not allowed to compete on the Senior and Junior Grand Prix in the same season (including pairs starting this season).

I was under the impression that a skater can jump from junior to senior mid-season but must stay as a senior for the rest of the season and career. For example, the Chinese Fed can still send Han Yan (internationally a junior) to senior Worlds. After skating senior at that event, Han Yan must skate as a senior for the rest of his career.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was the whole reason why the Chinese Fed kept Han Yan junior. They're still holding out hope for Nan Song, but if he can't skate up to his potential, Han Yan takes his Worlds spot.

icellist
09-23-2012, 11:37 PM
The main point I was making is that it doesn't make a lot of sense to reassign SA at this time.

If the only hope is Mirai, why bother? She doesn't need 2 events to qualify for worlds, and isn't likely to score well enough to make the GPF.

ITA with Coco. I think Mirai has just as good enough chances to qualify for the GPF as Gracie Gold, Ashley Wagner, Agnes Zawadzki and Caroline Zhang IF she was given a second assignment. If given a second assignment, Rachael Flatt and Christina Gao have no chance of making GPF. Mirai also needs the event if she cannot compete at CoC.

Mirai had a higher season's best score and world standing than Agnes Zawadzki (who had a mediocre international season). The fact that she is snubbed a second assignment is totally unfair.

Sylvia
09-23-2012, 11:44 PM
I was under the impression that a skater can jump from junior to senior mid-season but must stay as a senior for the rest of the season and career.
Is your impression based on the 2012 ISU Congress proposal linked in my post #224 above? If yes, I don't believe it passed in June but don't have confirmation of this fact.

DORISPULASKI
09-24-2012, 12:11 AM
I Otoh think Mirai is almost as much toast as Rachael. But time will tell. Mirais summer competitions were not wonderful, and she does not seem to have the fighting spirit of a Caroline to come back from bad results. At least so far.

olympic
09-24-2012, 12:58 AM
I Otoh think Mirai is almost as much toast as Rachael. But time will tell. Mirais summer competitions were not wonderful, and she does not seem to have the fighting spirit of a Caroline to come back from bad results. At least so far.

On the contrary, I think Mirai looked more 'together' and avoided any falls and even step-outs in her first competition at Glacier Falls this year scoring 156 pts. She's also not going to be spending 4 hrs. in a car traveling to and from the rink, solving one of her greatest problems last year.

chipso1
09-24-2012, 01:34 AM

Her performances at Glacier Falls were her best summer performances since 2009 Golden West, IMO.

mgobluegirl
09-24-2012, 01:39 AM
Her performances at Glacier Falls were her best summer performances since 2009 Golden West, IMO.

You have to be kidding. Mirai was fantastic at both 2010 US Nationals and 2010 Olympics.

falling_dance
09-24-2012, 01:40 AM
You have to be kidding. Mirai was fantastic at both 2010 US Nationals and 2010 Olympics.

Chipso1 was referring only to Nagasu's performances at summer events.

chipso1
09-24-2012, 01:46 AM

I said they were her best summer performances since 2009 Golden West.

ETA: thanks, falling_dance!

mgobluegirl
09-24-2012, 02:04 AM
I said they were her best summer performances since 2009 Golden West.

ETA: thanks, falling_dance!

Oops! In that case, I agree with you. She looked this summer, if not perfectly in form, at least happy to be skating and on a good track.

Hedwig
09-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Mirai has not even competed yet internationally. Of course she has the chance to make it into the GPF - but only if she is given a second event. :wall:
I cannot understand how that happened.
She was/is inconsistent but she is undoubtedly one of the biggest talents the US has. They would be fools to throw that away.

kwanatic
09-24-2012, 03:55 PM
^^ ITA, but Mirai has to show that she wants it and is willing to fight for it. They can't keep throwing chances her way only to have her flub them up. There's a lot of talent coming in behind Mirai and if she isn't willing to put in the effort then why should they keep giving her assignments?

This season she'll have to show she wants it by kicking butt at COC and nationals. She is still the best all-around skater the US has when she's "on" but she hasn't been "on" since her LP at 4CC in 2011. Everyone knows how talented she is but she's gotta prove it.

Hedwig
09-24-2012, 04:41 PM
But at the moment they don't keep giving her assignments. If the rumours are true, they gave her assignment to someone else (Agnes).
All her other assignments she has earned herself (IMO).

I don't know if she will ever make it. But I do know that she is the only current US lady I really enjoy (therefore my view may be biased ;) ) and I think she is a huge talent. Talent is not enough but as long as she is skating and shows that she may be capable of big things I don't understand why the UFSA would throw stones in her way.

demetriosj
09-24-2012, 10:56 PM
ITA with Coco. I think Mirai has just as good enough chances to qualify for the GPF as Gracie Gold, Ashley Wagner, Agnes Zawadzki and Caroline Zhang IF she was given a second assignment.....

Yes, so far this season Gracie and Agnes have shown that they are not perfect nor unbeatable with their long program performances at US Classic. Why assume Mirai is toast?