PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

n*ice mom
09-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Maybe one of the Jr Grand Prix skaters (Cesario!!!!!!) can skate at SA. I know in 2009-10 and 2010-11 Mervin Tran and Narumi Takahashi did both JGP and GP competitions in the same season. Anyone know for sure if the rule has changed since then?

toddlj
09-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Maybe one of the Jr Grand Prix skaters (Cesario!!!!!!) can skate at SA. I know in 2009-10 and 2010-11 Mervin Tran and Narumi Takahashi did both JGP and GP competitions in the same season. Anyone know for sure if the rule has changed since then?

It has changed; one must do either GP or JGP and not both.

Hedwig
09-22-2012, 06:10 PM

That rule was just for pairs because there weren't too many pair teams in the world.

mgobluegirl
09-22-2012, 06:52 PM
SA might be a nice opportunity for Siraj.

smarts1
09-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Do you guys really think that Rachael is going to get kicked off the SA list for her poor performance at a summer comp? Since when has USFSA been that proactive?

pinky166
09-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Do you guys really think that Rachael is going to get kicked off the SA list for her poor performance at a summer comp? Since when has USFSA been that proactive?

:lol: I know right. They are STILL assigning JGP spots primarily off of nationals placements even though for like the 3rd season in a row, skaters who skated well at Nationals then poorly all summer were given assignments over skaters who really stepped it up over the summer and improved their form since Nationals, and then don't do well at their events. I mean, Zawadzki, Gold, Keiser, and Wang have all not qualified for Nationals one season only to come back really strong the next, and despite seeing skaters like Cain, Davis, Kulgeyko, Jiang, Dinh, Daniels, etc not skate well over the summer and not skate or place well at their JGP still getting sent out for Nationals placements year after year, makes me realize the USFS's priorities are not always what one would hope. Rachael is an Olympian, former US champion and multiple time medalist, junior world champion, and world team member, and she goes to Stanford full-time, those credentials will draw more people to come watch then would replacing her with some unknown skater, even if said skater is a lot better.

toddlj
09-22-2012, 07:58 PM
After her subpar 2011 appearance at Worlds, Rachel was fined and reprimanded for not reporting her injury. No doubt she will avoid having that happen again.

If she is injured, she will report it, and if she does, USFSA will replace her.

If she's just out of shape, then that's a different story.

AJ Skatefan
09-22-2012, 09:32 PM
After her subpar 2011 appearance at Worlds, Rachel was fined and reprimanded for not reporting her injury. No doubt she will avoid having that happen again.

If she is injured, she will report it, and if she does, USFSA will replace her.

If she's just out of shape, then that's a different story.

This

RD
09-23-2012, 01:18 AM

It's funny people think this especially since they did nothing about Czisny when writing was on the wall before worlds. :lol:

Alex Forrest
09-23-2012, 02:12 AM
It's funny people think this especially since they did nothing about Czisny when writing was on the wall before worlds. :lol:

But what drives the USFS's thinking? Fear of a lawsuit? Most times it just comes down to money. Alissa was obviously injured, and though Team Alissa played it correctly, considering Flatt's fine, she STILL went to Worlds when there was nothing to suggest she'd do any better. What is USFS afraid of?

Flatt would not enter a pre-season competition and knowingly score so low. Like another poster said, why go to the trouble and embarrassment of a bad competition if all you are doing is marking your jumps? Flatt has to know she is on the 'controversial' list, and is slowly not getting any benefits of the doubt.

I believe that this is predictive of what Flatt will put out at SA. I'll be there. I'll see it, but I'd rather see an unknown with talent and spunk and competitiveness skate than Flatt.

RD
09-23-2012, 02:53 AM
Good points (and who knows, really...) However, my intent was not to rehash the Czisny controversy (goodness knows that's been beaten into the ground many times over).

I believe that this is predictive of what Flatt will put out at SA. I'll be there. I'll see it, but I'd rather see an unknown with talent and spunk and competitiveness skate than Flatt.

Overall, this is a very different situation. Apart from the obvious differences between SA and worlds, there is a full month in between this comp and SA. And it didn't involve extensive travel. (that said, yes, my expectations are not sky-high for her for SA)

skfan
09-23-2012, 03:35 AM
IMO, until USFS establishes some consistent criteria for when they can yank international assignments from skaters who were awarded them, i don't think they ought to be yanking anyone.

plenty of other skaters have had lackluster outings-- was there this much outcry that they be stripped of their assigned GP/JGP spots? i recall some anger when nina jiang was assigned a JGP... some indignation on behalf of polina edmunds... but then nina has had SEVERAL poor outings... (i say that as a nina fan).

people say why would rachael put on such a performance knowing she'd be scrutinized, but does every skater *know* exactly how a particular performance is going to unfold? i seem to recall many anecdotal reports of skaters practicing well then skating poorly, landing 3z combos during warm-up then flubbing them during the actual competition, and vice versa.

anyway, it's not a worlds' spot with impact on how many skaters can go to worlds the following year. if rachael's not injured, i don't think she ought to be put through the spanish inquisition just yet. ;) i prefer mirai's skating to rachael's, but mirai didn't set the world on fire at glacier falls herself. and i recall people reminding me it was too early to grumble about the version of turandot david wilson gave caroline zhang also...

jlai
09-23-2012, 04:19 AM
This has been a long standing issue. The problem is that US has so many girls worth sending, so when a girl not ready for the competition gets to go, there're usually complaints. I remember complaints going back to when Emily got sent to SA.

I wish US saves the host picks and decides on them after monitoring summer comps, but that's not how they do things.

skfan
09-23-2012, 04:33 AM
^ i understand what you're saying.

if only more of our ladies had the option of following alexe gilles' footstep... (tongue-in-cheek... maybe... ;)

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/Sectionals%202013/Interim%20List%2021sep12.pdf

(link copied from dorispulaski's post on GS... scroll down to second page, under senior ladies)

RD
09-23-2012, 07:41 AM
so...is she competing for Canada now? :confused:

I suppose it makes sense given the path her sister took...still though