PDA

View Full Version : Schools Ban Hugging and High-Fives ("No Contact" Policies)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

PeterG
08-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Senior Public School Students Fight Alleged Hug Ban (Brampton, Ontario) (http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/07/brampton-hug-ban_n_1577412.html)

Brampton’s Earnscliffe Senior Public School has a “no loving, no shoving” policy in an attempt to stem violence and unwanted touching, the Brampton Guardian says. But a group of students believes the ban includes hugging and says teachers have reprimanded them over such friendly displays of affection...

Hugging banned by principal at New Jersey middle school (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/hugging-banned-principal-jersey-middle-school-161113677.html)

Principal Tyler Blackmore announced that Matawan-Aberdeen Middle School is a "no hugging school" after "incidents of unsuitable, physical interactions," reports the Associated Press.

This article mentioned other schools which have banned shorts, Ugg-type boots, Halloween and rainbows.

Mt Martha Primary School's no-contact policy bans hugs and high five (Melbourne, Australia) (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/mt-martha-primary-schools-no-contact-policy-bans-tiggy-and-high-fives/story-fn7x8me2-1226395143679)

Students caught breaking the no-contact policy were taken from the playground and given a lecture about safety and the risks of rough play.

"They are given time to reflect - it's like a counselling session," she said.

While this last article is about an Australian school system, on the radio this morning they said that high-fives are being banned in some Canadian schools as well.

PDilemma
08-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I frequently high fived my students. Absurd.

The problem is that educational administrators have decided that it is easier to just completely ban something rather than be educators and take the time to teach kids the difference between what is appropriate and what is not.

On a lighter note, I wish the last school I taught at had banned Uggs. I was so sick of girls trudging around in them when it was 80+ degrees out (building only had window air conditioners) and then whining all day because they were hot and could they please take their boots off in class. No. You cannot be barefoot in school. Maybe you shouldn't wear winter boots in April.

michiruwater
08-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Let's just ban everything that makes us human. Cut all the arts classes, ban touch, stop listening, stop thinking, just do what you're told and don't learn to love any of it.

maatTheViking
08-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Moving to America, I was shocked at how people there were non-hugging. Guys don't hug, apparently. Especially not other guys. I find it odd. Being a women, I can usually get away with hugging my friends (guys and girls alike), but it is clear that not everyone does it all the time.

So this makes me feel sad. Will this make people afraid or unwilling to even hold hands? Give a hand shake? I feel children should know that being close to another human being is not wrong.

I think also it is lazy to try and say no touching at all, instead of actually taking care of issues with shoving, harresing students.

maatTheViking
08-23-2012, 07:09 PM
I frequently high fived my students. Absurd.

The problem is that educational administrators have decided that it is easier to just completely ban something rather than be educators and take the time to teach kids the difference between what is appropriate and what is not.

yes.
Edited to add: I actually think this is very important. Knowing the difference between appropiate and wanted affection and physical contact and inappropiate/unwanted contact is a key life skill.

also - I keep thining this being taken to the extreme - I would be very upset if my son's preschoold teachers didn't hug him!

On a lighter note, I wish the last school I taught at had banned Uggs. I was so sick of girls trudging around in them when it was 80+ degrees out (building only had window air conditioners) and then whining all day because they were hot and could they please take their boots off in class. No. You cannot be barefoot in school. Maybe you shouldn't wear winter boots in April.

Did they wear flip-flops in the winter :rolleyes:

PeterG
08-23-2012, 07:20 PM
I hope the people responsible for making these decisions are not in charge of throwing out bathwater. Oh, the babies we would lose!! :D

Let's just ban everything that makes us human. Cut all the arts classes, ban touch, stop listening, stop thinking, just do what you're told and don't learn to love any of it.

Is that you, Mr. Romney? :P

michiruwater
08-23-2012, 07:25 PM
How did you know, Peter? ;)

PeterG
08-23-2012, 07:32 PM
It's the long, luxurious hair. :)

modern_muslimah
08-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Moving to America, I was shocked at how people there were non-hugging. Guys don't hug, apparently. Especially not other guys. I find it odd. Being a women, I can usually get away with hugging my friends (guys and girls alike), but it is clear that not everyone does it all the time.

So this makes me feel sad. Will this make people afraid or unwilling to even hold hands? Give a hand shake? I feel children should know that being close to another human being is not wrong.

I think also it is lazy to try and say no touching at all, instead of actually taking care of issues with shoving, harresing students.

I've heard this from immigrants too. Every time I go to the mosque (which is predominately filled with immigrants from Arab countries and South Asia), the men always hug each other and they even peck each other on the cheek. My ex told me that when he stayed in Egypt, he had to get use to his guy friends holding his hand in public. In the US, he never did this but in Egypt it was quite the norm.

I'm a touchy person myself so I like hugging my friends and family.

As for the no contact policies, IA with PDilemma. It definitely sounds like a case of lazy administrators throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Mozart
08-23-2012, 08:47 PM
wow. This would never work at the Elementary school I teach at. I get tons of kindergarten- gr 3 kids hugging me every day I am in (I teach music half time)

modern_muslimah
08-23-2012, 08:54 PM
wow. This would never work at the Elementary school I teach at. I get tons of kindergarten- gr 3 kids hugging me every day I am in (I teach music half time)

:lol: When I worked at a private school a couple of years ago, the same thing happened and I worked as the secretary! Many of the students, especially the younger ones, are very affectionate and have no problem running up to an adult and giving them a big ol' hug.

skatesindreams
08-23-2012, 09:22 PM

The policy is ridiculous!
Fear, gone wild.

Aussie Willy
08-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Whilst I think these policies can be over the top, I get a bit :rolleyes: at the thing that every time young girls and teenagers see their friends they have to give them big hugs. Particularly if they see their friends day after day. I am not sure when it became the in thing to do because I never grew up with that. Maybe I view it more as a trend and that is how the schools view it too. So the banning is treating it that way as well.

The one in Australia did get lots of publicity. What parents got angry about was if a kid fell in the playground, another kid wasn't allowed to touch them. That is over the top. Although I have also heard the particular school principal has done a few other things that have peeved people off as well.

Prancer
08-24-2012, 12:01 AM
It definitely sounds like a case of lazy administrators throwing out the baby with the bath water.

I would say it's more a case of adminstrators who are tired of arguing with parents over whether or not a display that the parents didn't witness was inappropriate.

It's easy enough to tell kids "No lip locks," but then you have to punish them if they persist. And then.......

Whilst I think these policies can be over the top, I get a bit :rolleyes: at the thing that every time young girls and teenagers see their friends they have to give them big hugs. Particularly if they see their friends day after day.

What's wrong with that? :confused:

BigB08822
08-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Good luck stopping my special needs students from hugging, holding hands or high fiving. I high five them all the time. Their faces light up when a teacher gives them a high five for doing something well, it is a great reward to give that costs nothing. I have one student who will hold anyones hand all day if you let him, it is very comforting to him. Teaching him who he can and can not hold hands with is much more important than constantly telling him no or punishing him.