PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Olympic silver medal performance by a man

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Vash01
08-24-2012, 01:09 AM
Vik always did better in the SP mostly due to the stamina issues that plagued him in his LPs. He landed a 3x/3t and a 3z iirc while Paul landed 3x/2t and 3f. Don't remember what Petr did in the sp, as I found his skating pretty forgettable overall, but he finished in 2nd between Vik and Paul.

Viktor landed a 3A3t combination which no one else did. He also landed a 3L (flawed, but held on to the one foot landing, no hand down, so according to 6.0 it was a clean triple) and a 2A. He had the best SP of the competition.

He did have stamina problems, so he did not land his second 3A in the LP at the Olympics but he skated great at worlds the same season. In the LP he did land the 3A3t combination again (Paul had a 3t2t and smaller jumps). It was pretty close between him and Wylie because Wylie made a couple of mistakes in his LP. They were not as glaring as Viktor's but they still were mistakes made by a skater who had never gotten close to the podium in any of his competitions. That may have turned the balance toward Viktor. In my mind Paul was not a clear winner, although his program was more enjoyable to watch. As a 2x world silver medallist and the reigning Olympic bronze medallist Viktor got the benefit of the doubt.

berthesghost
08-24-2012, 03:48 AM
^ not sure what you mean by "pretty close". The judges clearly preferred vik, and Ita about the reputation judging, as Paul barely won the silver over Barna. I can at least see an argument for silver, but the fact that Paul came this close to bronze really burns.

Vash01
08-24-2012, 07:32 AM
^ not sure what you mean by "pretty close". The judges clearly preferred vik, and Ita about the reputation judging, as Paul barely won the silver over Barna. I can at least see an argument for silver, but the fact that Paul came this close to bronze really burns.

Sorry, I was not clear. It was 'pretty close' in my mind but not in the judges'. For the performance he had, Paul's marks were too low. Barna had only a so so performance, so it should not have been that close between him and Paul.

I loved Paul Wylie's reaction though when he found out that he won the silver- reminiscent of Liz Manley's in 1988.

briancoogaert
08-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Vik always did better in the SP mostly due to the stamina issues that plagued him in his LPs. He landed a 3x/3t and a 3z iirc while Paul landed 3x/2t and 3f. Don't remember what Petr did in the sp, as I found his skating pretty forgettable overall, but he finished in 2nd between Vik and Paul.

Barna was also a short program skater. His short program in Albertville, Munich, and Oakland were all excellent and very worthy of their high placings, although he used the exact same short program 3 seasons in a row like Petrenko's long, it worked perfectly for his style. His LPs were always bland, forgettable, and usually with reduced technical content and major mistakes.
Petr Barna's LP forgettable ? :wuzrobbed
His 1992 LP is one of my favorite ever. And I can watch it 20 years later, with the same interest :)

Vash01
08-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Petr Barna's LP forgettable ? :wuzrobbed
His 1992 LP is one of my favorite ever. And I can watch it 20 years later, with the same interest :)

Barna had a quad toe (although two footed), which was pretty rare those days. He did not have a 3A though. His music seemed a bit heavy. He skated well but fell on a jump toward the end. Had he landed it, the judges might have given him the silver over Wylie. Barna had a decent performance, but it could not match the emotion in Wylie's skating.

However, it's a matter of taste.

I loved Barna's exhibition to Charlie Chaplin. It was so funny, it was hard to believe it was the same (serious) skater who skated to Hamlet (am I correct about the music?)

briancoogaert
08-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Barna had a quad toe (although two footed), which was pretty rare those days. He did not have a 3A though. His music seemed a bit heavy. He skated well but fell on a jump toward the end. Had he landed it, the judges might have given him the silver over Wylie. Barna had a decent performance, but it could not match the emotion in Wylie's skating.

However, it's a matter of taste.

I loved Barna's exhibition to Charlie Chaplin. It was so funny, it was hard to believe it was the same (serious) skater who skated to Hamlet (am I correct about the music?)
I'm not discussing the fact that he was beaten by Wylie. I love Wylie's performance at the Olympics and think he should have won.
But I'm sad to read that some of us think Barna's LP are forgettable. His step sequences were interesting. As you said, it's a matter of taste. ;)

Vash01
08-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Lambiel got a lot of votes, but his silver medal performance in 2006 really wasn't good. He made numerous mistakes and I don't think he was that happy with that performance. At that point he had not even developed as an artist that much (too much windmill arms movement; not a good posture)- he is a wonderful artist now.

However, he is one of the most popular skaters on fsu, so I can see why he would get so many votes.

The Accordion
08-24-2012, 06:02 PM
So hard to choose between Orser and Wylie. Either program would have been Olympic gold medal worthy under slightly different circumstances. Also loved Lambiel's 4 Seasons!
Voted for Orser.

judgejudy27
08-24-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm not discussing the fact that he was beaten by Wylie. I love Wylie's performance at the Olympics and think he should have won.
But I'm sad to read that some of us think Barna's LP are forgettable. His step sequences were interesting. As you said, it's a matter of taste. ;)

Gloomy and morbid music for skating, very slow at times, no connection with the audience, no real performance or projection. Sorry for me it was boring. The judges must have thought so too since even with only 3 triples and a two footed quad his tech. marks were about the same as Petrenko and Wylie but he was bumped to 3rd by low artistic marks. Not one artistic mark over 5.8, contrasted to his much more enjoyable short program which got perfect 6.0 for artistic impression at both the 91 and 92 Worlds. To each their own.

SkateBlades17
08-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Evgeny Plushenko

skateboy
08-25-2012, 07:21 AM
I voted for Plushy.

I've always felt that Wylie's '92 LP has been over-sensationalized. He didn't skate all that amazingly, just incredible for him, as he had bombed over and over again before that moment. Unfortunately, Petrenko stated poorly (for his standards), but I do think he deserved the nod over Paul.

berthesghost
08-25-2012, 01:12 PM
^ perhaps, but i still find Paul's lp the skate of the evening. Compared to what the other guys laid down that night, it was to me, pretty frickin amazing.

kwanette
08-25-2012, 01:39 PM
^ perhaps, but i still find Paul's lp the skate of the evening. Compared to what the other guys laid down that night, it was to me, pretty frickin amazing.

^

This.

ChelleC
08-25-2012, 03:02 PM
I voted for Lambiel, however my true favorite is Stojko's 1994 performance.

judgejudy27
08-25-2012, 03:09 PM
I remember all the excitement around the ladies and mens event going into Albertville and both events turned out to be duds with so many weak performances from the contenders. I wonder if the ice conditions were bad or something.