PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Olympic silver medal performance by a lady

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Vash01
08-23-2012, 08:36 AM
The performances that give me joy to watch over and over out of these are Midori's and Liz'. Liz was the more emotional performance and Midori's was the more technically proficient. Both made mistakes, but Midori's were for sure more obvious. Ultimately I prefer Midori's performance and voted for her. That 3-axel after the 3 minute mark is truly an iconic moment in the history of Figure skating :respec:

Liz did not make a mistake. Midori did, but as you wrote, her 3A after the 3 min mark was a moment I will never forget. That as in 1992. A lady did not land a 3A in the Olympics until 18 years later (Mao Asada). That tells us how special that was.

Skater91
08-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Mao should win this hands down.

Amy03
08-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Mao should win this hands down.

I totally agree, i think Mao's performance is the best olympics performance in figure skating history.... it has everything from technical difficulty to great artistry... i remember when i watched the 2010 olympics, i wasn't interestet in skating at that time, but the only memorable performance that simply didn't leave me, was Mao i just was sooooo amazed by her programs that her name just stuck in my head many days after, at the end i couldn't take it and began reading about her and watched all her previous performances... and it was thanks to her performances that i became interestet in figure skating, and actually love figure skating more then any other sport now.

and through i have watched most previous medalist at the womans olympics, it just never really gasped or gave the same amazement wow-factor that I get when i watched Mao that day, and that is why my absolute favourite program is Mao's stunning olympic performances!

dawnie
08-23-2012, 05:19 PM
I totally agree, i think Mao's performance is the best olympics performance in figure skating history....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Vash01
08-23-2012, 05:23 PM
That was in 2006. In your original post, it seemed like you were referring to 2002, where her only mistake was sitting down on the 3/3.

Since this is a thread about Olympic silver medal, it HAS to be 2006. I never referred to her 2002 performance in this thread.

Vash01
08-23-2012, 05:24 PM
I totally agree, i think Mao's performance is the best olympics performance in figure skating history.... it has everything from technical difficulty to great artistry... i remember when i watched the 2010 olympics, i wasn't interestet in skating at that time, but the only memorable performance that simply didn't leave me, was Mao i just was sooooo amazed by her programs that her name just stuck in my head many days after, at the end i couldn't take it and began reading about her and watched all her previous performances... and it was thanks to her performances that i became interestet in figure skating, and actually love figure skating more then any other sport now.

and through i have watched most previous medalist at the womans olympics, it just never really gasped or gave the same amazement wow-factor that I get when i watched Mao that day, and that is why my absolute favourite program is Mao's stunning olympic performances!

Thank you for sharing this. I agree that Mao skated beautifully, and with the two 3A's it had the technical difficulty too. I was not thrilled with her choice of music, but I have always loved her skating.

pollyanna
08-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Since this is a thread about Olympic silver medal, it HAS to be 2006. I never referred to her 2002 performance in this thread.
Nope, it was 2002. Read the quote you referenced. The poster was comparing Slute's Tosca freeskate to Hughes, Cohen, etc. Or at least it did until she edited it. :lol:

michiruwater
08-23-2012, 05:34 PM

But you were quoting and commenting on a series of posts that were ONLY about 2002, and as you didn't date any of your opinions, it sounds like you are also only taking about 2002. This is the conversation you responded to:

Irina. I still think she should have won in 2002...

Are you being sarcastic? Her performance was the worst among her, Hughes, Kwan, Cohen, and even Suguri.

Your response:

I disagree. None of them skated great. Cohen with two huge mistakes, Kwan with one huge mistake and one small mistake, and Hughes with her ur jumps (but big smile) and lack of maturity in her skating, were all about equal with Irina's skate. The only thing is it was one of Irina's worst skates upto that point (not counting her struggling year '99). Suguri may have skated well, but she was not in contention for 1st or 2nd place, so it's hard to compare her with others. Kwan & Slute were about even- imperfect. IMO Hughes wasn't even in the same league maturity wise. She had a clean performance, that's all. I would say Cohen had the worst performance of the group you mentioned, and she won the silver only because Irina had a melt down in 2006.

It sounds like, in the first half of your response, you are also talking about 2002. And this someone corrected you about Cohen's mistakes in 2002. If you don't want confusion, then you should be clear about what you're talking about, because honestly, even reading it now I could only figure out about half the performances you're meaning to reference. Irina in 2002 or 2006? Kwan in 1998 or 2002? Suguri in 2002 or 2006?

Vash01
08-23-2012, 05:38 PM
OK, I get it. i am an idiot and should never start a thread or post on one.:mad:

michiruwater
08-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Yes, of course that is exactly what I meant.

Triple Butz
08-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Mao skated really well. In any other year her performance would have been good enough for an OGM.

(Note: I knew that Michelle will get most of the votes, so I did not need to vote for her :lol:).

I really don't agree. It was a huge accomplishment for her to land 3 3axels and I applaud her for that, but she really only had 4 clean triples total, and did not had no 3sal, 3toe, or 3lutz. Landing triple axels does not make up for a complete lack of three other types of triples IMO. She did, of course, plan a 3toe but as we know it never even got off the ground.

judgejudy27
08-23-2012, 11:06 PM
If I had to guess this is how Mao would have done in other years:

1992- I think she would have won. Kristi wasnt great that night, Midori with only 1 triple axel and no triple lutz probably would have won the LP had she not been 4th in the short.

1994- Would have won.

1998- Would have probably been 3rd. I dont see either Tara or Michelle that night beaten by a performance with 2 major mistakes.

2002- Would have won. Hughes lost votes to all of Slutskaya, Kwan, and Cohen that night even with their problems, simpler jumps, and her out of skin skate. 2 triple axels even with a couple misses would have put someone over her as she was not a popular choice even with the judges.

2006- If we factor in SP would have won. May have lost LP to Shizuka under COP.

So I actually almost agree, I think she would have won any other Olympics besides 1998 with her performances in Vancouver.

Skater91
08-24-2012, 04:10 AM
I really don't agree. It was a huge accomplishment for her to land 3 3axels and I applaud her for that, but she really only had 4 clean triples total, and did not had no 3sal, 3toe, or 3lutz. Landing triple axels does not make up for a complete lack of three other types of triples IMO. She did, of course, plan a 3toe but as we know it never even got off the ground.

I would have agreed with this but then I think about Carolina Kostner at Worlds this year.... She won without lutz because she had the great components, good spins and good GOEs.

Yes Mao didn't get great GOEs on some elements in the program but I still think the 3As she performed and also her PCs from that performance at Olympics would have been enough any other year to overcome the fact that she didn't perform most triples.... If not, then how did she even get second in Vancouver?

MR-FAN
08-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Liz did not make a mistake.

hmmmm, I'm now starting to doubt myself, but I always thought she 2-footed her triple loop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV179v0zjkM&feature=player_detailpage#t=84s). Did she or is it just a deceiving camera angle?

Vash01
08-24-2012, 07:28 AM
hmmmm, I'm now starting to doubt myself, but I always thought she 2-footed her triple loop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV179v0zjkM&feature=player_detailpage#t=84s). Did she or is it just a deceiving camera angle?

I will have to watch the tape again; it was so long ago!