jeffisjeff
08-21-2012, 11:30 PM
http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2016/

Check out #52!

julieann
08-22-2012, 12:42 AM
http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2016/

Check out #52!

Most of those are just yearly fact and some are flat out stupid. I know my kids know exactly what The Twilight Zone, who Bill Clinton is and always have the radio on in their cars.

michiruwater
08-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Just because they know that Bill Clinton was President doesn't mean they know much of his Presidency, which was the way it was phrased. I was born in 1989 and I couldn't tell you much of anything about George H.W. Bush's Presidency, although I know who he is.

I have never seen the Twilight Zone, though I know what it is.

I never use the radio in my car. I have been using my iPod or a CD player since I was able to drive.

In every list, there are bound to be things that you, or the people you know whom the list applies to, don't fit. The list is meant to give other people the idea of where the Class of 2016 is coming from, their mindset - so of course a lot of it is yearly facts. What else would it be when it is written this way?

Prancer
08-22-2012, 02:19 AM
The only radio my kids listen to, anywhere, is Pandora, and they don't listen to it very often.

I gave my Class of 2016 son the list and he said some of them were stupid (the Jacksons are American royalty????? More like American train wrecks. Those Biblical terms are unfamiliar???? Are people in the class of 2016 illiterate?) but most of them were things he so takes for granted that he was surprised they were considered unusual or striking to others.

milanessa
08-22-2012, 04:37 AM
In other words - the world moves on.

numbers123
08-22-2012, 04:53 AM
In other words - the world moves on.

yep..and those who are left behind bemoan the fact that the youngen' don't know about ....

julieann
08-22-2012, 04:58 AM
Just because they know that Bill Clinton was President doesn't mean they know much of his Presidency, which was the way it was phrased. I was born in 1989 and I couldn't tell you much of anything about George H.W. Bush's Presidency, although I know who he is.

I have never seen the Twilight Zone, though I know what it is.

I never use the radio in my car. I have been using my iPod or a CD player since I was able to drive.

In every list, there are bound to be things that you, or the people you know whom the list applies to, don't fit. The list is meant to give other people the idea of where the Class of 2016 is coming from, their mindset - so of course a lot of it is yearly facts. What else would it be when it is written this way?

Just as I said before, most are just facts pertaining to a year; but many didn't seem to apply to my kids and most of my kid's friends that I have shown the list to. One a graduate in 2011 and the other 2016. Some were just plain facts, some other kids were like WTH "I have never seen a digital yearbook, mine are still actual books." My son also laughed when he pointed out he knew exactly what a "Royale with Cheese" was. He's watched a lot of movies and TV (on an actual TV!) One kid knew De Niro from Taxi Driver not just "Meet the Fockers." They know who Bill Clinton is from school just as I learned about Kennedy from school even though he was dead before I was born.

Here are some other items to make you feel old: (http://news.yahoo.com/listen-radios-watch-tvs-not-class-16-041141626.html) These teens weren't born when "Pulp Fiction" came out. Instead of asking who shot J.R., they wanted to know who shot Montgomery Burns. And to them, "Twilight Zone" is about vampires, not Rod Serling.

Thorin Blitz, 18, disagreed with that last item. He said it's 13-year-old girls who watch "Twilight."

"I've seen quite a few 'Twilight Zone' episodes," said the incoming freshman from Charleston, Ill. "Most of us know what that is."

Blitz's comment reflects a common criticism of previous lists. Some teens were insulted by the insinuation that they had no knowledge of events that happened before they were born, as if they had never studied history. So Nief and McBride have softened the tone, replacing "They don't know about..." with "They never experienced..."

This list assumes too much beyond just facts.

Watches television everywhere except on actual TV sets

I think there are a millions of freshman who would laugh at that one.

The Yahoo! comments were funny but this ring true:

"i was born in 66.. long after twilight zone was off the air... they act like every generation grows up totally ignorant the the previous generations"

jeffisjeff
08-22-2012, 05:20 AM
But, um, does anyone understand what #52 refers to?

Prancer
08-22-2012, 05:24 AM
some other kids were like WTH "I have never seen a digital yearbook, mine are still actual books."

But have they ever seen a digital textbook? That is what the list referred to.

My kids have had digital textbooks since sixth grade. Not all of them, certainly, but they've had at least one per year. I have used online textbooks myself when taking college classes. I have had a few students who have used them as well, and many more who rent their books, which was also included in the same line. When my son got his textbook list, I pointed him to digital textbook sites and encouraged him to rent.

There are plenty of students who show up in class with new textbooks from the bookstore, of course. But there are fewer of them every year, and fewer still among the younger students.

My son also laughed when he pointed out he knew exactly what a "Royale with Cheese" was.

He's one up on me, then. I have no clue.

He's watched a lot of movies and TV (on an actual TV!)

He has? The list is clearly wrong!

One kid knew De Niro from Taxi Driver not just "Meet the Fockers."

One whole kid??? The list is clearly wrong!

They know who Bill Clinton is from school just as I learned about Kennedy from school even though he was dead before I was born.

Yes, my kids know who Bill Clinton is, too, and knew he was President. But since they learned this in Contemporary US History, which moves along at a blistering pace, they don't know a whole lot about those years.

Mostly they think of him as the former President married to Hilary. That is pretty much what I get from the freshmen who sit in my classes, too.

My kids know what The Twilight Zone is, but have never watched an episode--or wanted to. Both of them are, however, very familiar with Twilight, even though neither of them has read the book or seen the movie, and they will probably always associate the book with their high school years. If I want to make a relevant comment about society to freshmen, Twilight is more likely to make a point they get than The Twilight Zone.

The list is supposed represent a series of generalizations about millions of teenagers. You do realize this and understand that it is a given that not everything will apply to everyone?

Sure--COP! Someone else misses the good ol' days when we had Artistic Impression .

julieann
08-22-2012, 07:19 AM
But have they ever seen a digital textbook? That is what the list referred to.

My kids have had digital textbooks since sixth grade. Not all of them, certainly, but they've had at least one per year. I have used online textbooks myself when taking college classes. I have had a few students who have used them as well, and many more who rent their books, which was also included in the same line. When my son got his textbook list, I pointed him to digital textbook sites and encouraged him to rent.

There are plenty of students who show up in class with new textbooks from the bookstore, of course. But there are fewer of them every year, and fewer still among the younger students.

I didn't say text books

#56 They have always enjoyed school and summer camp memories with a digital yearbook.

Really? ALWAYS? Seems weird I just shelled out $65.00 for my kid's yearbook so did 2547 other kids.

Yes, my kids know who Bill Clinton is, too, and knew he was President. But since they learned this in Contemporary US History, which moves along at a blistering pace, they don't know a whole lot about those years.

Mostly they think of him as the former President married to Hilary. That is pretty much what I get from the freshmen who sit in my classes, too.

My kids know what The Twilight Zone is, but have never watched an episode--or wanted to. Both of them are, however, very familiar with Twilight, even though neither of them has read the book or seen the movie, and they will probably always associate the book with their high school years. If I want to make a relevant comment about society to freshmen, Twilight is more likely to make a point they get than The Twilight Zone.

The list is supposed represent a series of generalizations about millions of teenagers. You do realize this and understand that it is a given that not everything will apply to everyone?

Fun facts are one thing, generalizations are trouble (especially using words like aways and never on millions of teens.) Is the list is 'clearly wrong'? I don't know; did they poll every teen? It's just not 100% accurate and judging by the writers response to teens being insulted, they agree. That's why words like aways and never should be used sparingly.

Some teens were insulted by the insinuation that they had no knowledge of events that happened before they were born, as if they had never studied history. So Nief and McBride have softened the tone, replacing "They don't know about..." with "They never experienced..."

Prancer
08-22-2012, 12:23 PM
I didn't say text books

Ah, my apologies. I missed that one.

It's just not 100% accurate

Nooooooooooooooooo! :drama: There go all my beautiful plans for stereotyping all my freshmen as part of the 2016 borg.

Now I'll just have to treat them as individuals, darn it.

rfisher
08-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Damn. Borgs are soooooooo much easier.

Skittl1321
08-22-2012, 12:47 PM

The end of figures. It isnt a dig at IJS! Someone born in 1994 would have been 8 for the last Olympics under 6.0, so they may remember at least that, and possibly a few other competitions if they were in figure skating watching households. IJS didn't become official until what 2006? The entering college freshman would be 12.
However, they would have never seen a competition that included figures- those ended before they were born.

(my husband, born in 1981 said he thought skating had been a jumping contest since he was born. Afterall, he never saw figures- they just weren't on TV. He has memories of Olympics where they happened- just not of the figure skating, he didn't care about that)

For the record, I'm 30 and have never seen twilight zone

michiruwater
08-22-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm really perplexed, julieann, that you appeared to be actually offended by the fact that what is supposed to be a list of generalizations about an entire birth year is, in fact, a list of generalizations as opposed to The Truth.

Murdoch
08-22-2012, 05:03 PM
As a teacher, I find this list extremely valuable. While not all students fall into these generalizations, many of them do. The generations are becoming less and less concerned with the past and increasingly concerned with immediate gratification and the path of least resistance. While some students I teach were ALIVE when 9/11 happened, they were much too young to understand. The grade nines I taught last year, they could tell me how their parents reacted, but not much about 9/11 itself.

The list is just a grounding mechanism for the world they were born into. Yes - some families introduce their children to older TV shows or have certain things that undo this list, but it is more to know what was going on and what world they have been growing up in.