PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Champs Camp in Colorado Springs (for U.S. Grand Prix skaters/teams)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

judiz
08-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Canīt believe Weir is going to subject us to more Poker Face. This is his comeback and he's going to start it by throwing a few jumps into a show program he has been doing forever to THAT grossly overexposed song. I am so sick of that song.

In other news, someone out there must have an idea by know what the ice dance teams are using. Throw us a bone :D

It's a different version of the song, given to Johnny by Lady Gaga - instrumental don't forget. Also not the first time Johnny has used a show program for his short program. 2008 SP was originally 2005 exhibition music from 2005 worlds

Wyliefan
08-24-2012, 03:19 PM
It's a different version of the song, given to Johnny by Lady Gaga - instrumental don't forget.

Oh, goody. Elevator-music Gaga. Kill me now.

gkelly
08-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Canīt believe Weir is going to subject us to more Poker Face. This is his comeback and he's going to start it by throwing a few jumps into a show program he has been doing forever to THAT grossly overexposed song. I am so sick of that song.

It's a different version of the song, given to Johnny by Lady Gaga - instrumental don't forget.

Right.

And he will have to do more than "throw a few jumps" into a show program. He'll have to include all seven of the short program required elements and will be wise to include spins and steps that will earn higher levels.

That may not leave much room for whatever elements and non-element choreography he had been doing in the show program. It will need new choreography to fit the requirements of the short program rules. There may be a few moves borrowed from the show version, but I expect there will be more different than the same.

Impromptu
08-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Because no one has ever turned a show program (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oywJebgYE_4) into a competitive program (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2D9DDQxwIk) before?

equatorial
08-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Sorry, did I miss anything or was "is Madison preggers????!!!!" rumour discussed somehow? Because that dress certainly gives me an impression that Madison decided to pull a Delobel in the pre-Oly season :scream:

Sylvia
08-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Article about Dornbush, Razzano, Weir: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120824&content_id=37254694&vkey=ice_news

bmcg
08-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Because no one has ever turned a show program (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oywJebgYE_4) into a competitive program (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2D9DDQxwIk) before?

Iīm sure the list is long. Fortunately for many of us her music wasn't shoved upon us ad nauseum. I hate the song he is skating to, just hate it and think it's far too early to be forcing it upon us again :P

flipforsynchro
08-24-2012, 04:11 PM
I love Gaga and would much rather listen to Poker Face than more crappy twinkly music

Susan M
08-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Fortunately for many of us her music wasn't shoved upon us ad nauseum.
Surely you jest. East of Eden was not shoved upon us ad nauseum? Good grief, didn't she even dust it off again years later for her SP?

IMO the only real difference is that you did like Kwan and East of Eden but don't like this song. When I hate the music, I get that "ad nauseum" feeling too, sometimes in a single season (e.g., that wailing soprano thing Butriskaya used for way too long, somebody's horrible cuts from the Tosca overture that repeated the same fragments of music 5 or 6 times in 4 minutes.)

That said, using Poker Face again does kind of seem like living in the past for Weir.

Wyliefan
08-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Article about Dornbush, Razzano, Weir: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120824&content_id=37254694&vkey=ice_news

Poor Ricky! Glad they got the boot problem figured out. And I'm sure he was glad to know he wasn't going crazy!

mgobluegirl
08-24-2012, 04:58 PM
"[U.S. Figure Skating] requested I come, and it's part of our new relationship," he said. "I don't think I've changed, and I don't think USFS has changed -- we just accept each other and understand each other. That makes things a lot easier. They've been very supportive throughout this comeback, and I'm doing everything properly. I'm not wearing anything that says 'Russia' on it."

Weir is hilarious. I like that he's still candid in interviews, even if he's doing his best to toe the line.

skatingfan5
08-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Surely you jest. East of Eden was not shoved upon us ad nauseum? Good grief, didn't she even dust it off again years later for her SP?WARNING: Kwan trivia alert! ;) She used East of Eden for her SP for only the equivalent of one season (the end of 2000-01 and the beginning of 2001-02 seasons); Nationals 2001 was the link Impromptu posted of that SP program. Some of the EoE music was used even earlier than the Exhibition program linked -- it was the beginning part of her 1993-94 long program music, which featured two other selections.

LilJen
08-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Gao's red dress = Mao v. 2.

bmcg
08-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Surely you jest. East of Eden was not shoved upon us ad nauseum? Good grief, didn't she even dust it off again years later for her SP?

IMO the only real difference is that you did like Kwan and East of Eden but don't like this song. When I hate the music, I get that "ad nauseum" feeling too, sometimes in a single season (e.g., that wailing soprano thing Butriskaya used for way too long, somebody's horrible cuts from the Tosca overture that repeated the same fragments of music 5 or 6 times in 4 minutes.)

That said, using Poker Face again does kind of seem like living in the past for Weir.

No. What I meant is that Poker Face has been overplayed ad nauseum and not just in figure skating (where at least one skater would do one of her songs in any given gala) but the actual song has gotten a lot of airtime. Itīs finally possible to turn on any given radio and not have to hear that song. :P I'm not a fan of skaters picking recent popular top ten music for competitive programs because all too often by the time you hit the ice with it many of the audience will have a negative reaction to having to hear that song again. It's similar to what happened last year in galas where you were guaranteed to hear a few Adele songs. It's a gala and you don't take it so seriously but I don't think we are ready (I'm not) to hear Adele in a competitive program this season.

lavenderblue
08-24-2012, 05:21 PM
It's similar to what happened last year in galas where you were guaranteed to hear a few Adele songs. It's a gala and you don't take it so seriously but I don't think we are ready (I'm not) to hear Adele in a competitive program this season.

Then you should probably avoid Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt's FD this year... :shuffle: