PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Champs Camp in Colorado Springs (for U.S. Grand Prix skaters/teams)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Ziggy
08-27-2012, 03:00 AM
I am coming into this thread late, but it's looking likely that Alissa won't be ready for the Grand Prix.

Given her injury, it's 99% likely that she won't be ready.

I just hope she'll pull out early enough to have somebody else get the spot.

Sylvia
08-27-2012, 04:27 AM
Even THIS tweeted photo by Mark Ladwig is blurry! :drama: ;)
https://twitter.com/LadwigMark/status/239790628928622592/photo/1/large
His tweet reads: "#teamusa at its best! All dressed in official #champscamp12 T-shirts and ready to absorb knowledge."

crankyintheAM
08-27-2012, 04:59 AM
This pic tweeted from the Lynn and Logan twitter is my favorite from the team building:

lynn_logan_usa LynnK LoganGS 24 Aug
Team building through rhythmic gymnastics! Team balls is #1 in our book! pic.twitter.com/Jxadeka9

large version: https://p.twimg.com/A1HRwMFCEAAmqIJ.jpg:large

some of my favorite people were in Team Balls, I agree they're #1 in my book too :lol:

Logan, Meryl, Douglas, Marissa, Alex, John, Caroline, is that Colin?, and Johnny, of course :D

Douglas posted a good quality pic too:
Hooray Team Balls! http://instagr.am/p/OvIbuNJCb_/

and Zachary had 3 teams in one pic:
Zachary Donohue ‏@Z_KamikaZ
#ChampsCamp2012!!!!!!! http://instagr.am/p/OvGGM0g5Bb/

Zachary new twitter profile pic is hilarious! :rofl:

crankyintheAM
08-27-2012, 05:02 AM
Why is it insulting to to have males participate in something that is "recognized as a girls' sport?" I hope they are secure enough in themselves to not take offense with something that may be a bit feminine and have enough sense of humor to enjoy it.

While I'm sure there are some boys who are definitely not secure enough in themselves, sadly. I'm sure their "manly" egos will survive this little silly activity.
It's a pity that so many people, and I don't mean the skaters, think "feminine" = inferior. :shuffle:

crankyintheAM
08-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Given her injury, it's 99% likely that she won't be ready.

I just hope she'll pull out early enough to have somebody else get the spot.

Wondering about Alissa too. She hasn't been back on the ice yet, right?
When would be the latest date she could pull out from her GP event still allowing a replacement? Anyone?

Have we heard anything about Lysacek's injury? Is it something of concern or just a broken fingernail?

kwanfan1818
08-27-2012, 05:09 AM
When would be the latest date she could pull out from her GP event still allowing a replacement? Anyone?
From GP Announcement 7.6:

It is mandatory that an Organizing Member replaces any skater/couple who withdraws from the event with an alternate up to fourteen (14) days prior to the Team Leaders’ meeting for that event. At the seven day mark, consideration will be given by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group to leaving a position vacant because of visa requirements or unduly high travel costs that would be incurred by the Organizing Member.

Of course, it doesn't say what is supposed to happen if there's a withdrawal on days 8-14... Technically, it could be up to the last minute, if, for example, there was a withdrawal and there was a replacement right there, like in the Detroit area for Skate Canada in Windsor.

crankyintheAM
08-27-2012, 05:14 AM
From GP Announcement 7.6:

Of course, it doesn't say what is supposed to happen if there's a withdrawal on days 8-14... Technically, it could be up to the last minute, if, for example, there was a withdrawal and there was a replacement right there, like in the Detroit area for Skate Canada in Windsor.

Thank you, kwanfan1818!

I love ISU rules, they're always kinda conveniently open to interpretation. In any case, Alissa still has a bit of time to make a decision. She should probably withdraw from the GP and concentrate on being as strong as possible for Nationals. Just a thought, obviously.

madm
08-27-2012, 07:03 AM
The purpose of that exercise was to raise the spirits of the participants, get them in the right mood, break the ice and help them gel, as they would spend the rest of the camp together.

I trained as a trainer/coach and this isn't operating at the level of a kindergarten teacher. It's being professional.

As for dodgeball, something that aggressive would be rather counter-productive for this particular purpose, as well as risky.

When I worked in corporate America, we did many team building exercises designed to help participants work toward a common goal, learn how to work with different personality types, and basically have some fun together. In this case, I think Team USA does need to function as a team when they travel overseas for GP assignments. They will have to work with many officials, coaches, team leaders, athletic trainers and medical personnel, and other skaters. They have to room with their fellow skaters and sometimes they travel with them. Skating is not a sport that one does in complete isolation. Skaters need to learn to get along with each other and work together. These are skills that will serve them well as they represent the USA and later on transition into another job.

Team building is done in all professions. As part of her orientation, my daughter who is about start vet school will be participating with the rest of her class in a one-day ropes course at the university's mountain campus. This is designed "to enhance team building and personal growth. Increased confidence (self-efficacy) is a common outcome of the ropes course experience, along with increasing communication skills and effective strategies to improve teamwork. Risk taking, group problem solving, and leadership skills also are common focal points." Personally I think a team building activity like the rhythmic gymnastic one done at Champs Camp is a great idea and it was a lot of fun for the skaters. It doesn't really matter whether they did gymnastics or built tinker-toy models or baked a cake ... any simple group activity out of their normal areas of expertise would have worked.

brightphoton
08-27-2012, 07:23 AM
What is your commission for each team building activity workshop you sell?

Ziggy
08-27-2012, 07:27 AM
What madm said. :)

marysy
08-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Alissa posted on her Facebook page that she's getting back on the ice this week. She's assigned the last GP in Japan, so that gives her almost exactly 3 months to prepare.

madm
08-27-2012, 01:43 PM
What is your commission for each team building activity workshop you sell?

None. I am retired and I never put on team building activities. I just went to them.

Skittl1321
08-27-2012, 03:05 PM
While I'm sure there are some boys who are definitely not secure enough in themselves, sadly. I'm sure their "manly" egos will survive this little silly activity.

I just cannot imagine those boys are figure skaters...

I personally hate these stupid team building activities at work, but I guess it depends on context. If it is a group I want to goof off with, they'd be a lot more fun. At work, it is just stupid. That said, from the pictures, I think most everyone seemed to be enjoying it. I think Champs camp is a different situation from a job- because these are people they know, but don't see everyday. So they do need to get their job/training done, but there is probably some 'want' to get to know the people they will travel with to international competitions. Especially with team competitions like WTT and the new Olympic competition coming up, being able to be part of a team is more important to them.

Theatregirl1122
08-27-2012, 03:14 PM
I know this will shock and horrify some people, but the skaters seem to :gasp: like each other! And, EVEN WORSE, they seem to have had fun! Even with the stupid, and offensively unmanly, team building activity. So it seems like they may not really need to be protected from evil USFSA on this front.

madm
08-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Inspiring words on the 2012 Champs Camp t-shirts:

Front: Champions are not made in the rink.
Back: Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - A DESIRE, A DREAM, A VISION. They have to have the skill, and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali