PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Champs Camp in Colorado Springs (for U.S. Grand Prix skaters/teams)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

sarakimm
08-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Now, now. I saw him sitting there in that picture all "I have an Olympic gold medal and you peons don't - quad be damned HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!". Didn't you? :shuffle:

:lol:

misskarne
08-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Does anyone else think it kinda sucks that the juniors don't get the same opportunity to be part of something like Champs Camp?

The main thing I'm thinking of is the program feedback and stuff. Even if they did something like Junior Champs Camp earlier in the off-season it might benefit.

crzesk8dad
08-26-2012, 02:30 AM
Does anyone else think it kinda sucks that the juniors don't get the same opportunity to be part of something like Champs Camp?

The main thing I'm thinking of is the program feedback and stuff. Even if they did something like Junior Champs Camp earlier in the off-season it might benefit.

That is the purpose of the Team USA Summer mini-camps at Liberty, Detroit, Glacier Falls, Indy and Lake Placid (for pairs and dance). The skaters that are on the ISP or going to a JGP or Senior B and were not invited to Champs Camp attend those sessions.

At the Summer mini-camps, they attend a short seminar with a Sports psychologist, USFS International committee members and participate in team building exercises. They also run their programs for top officials to critique for future improvement.

Many of the aforementioned athletes also compete at the associated competition, as well, in front of top officials (check out the Glacier Falls Summer Classic videos on IceNetwork to see a sample).

Lacey
08-26-2012, 03:17 AM
My apologies re Evan, too tired to look further, nm.

AJ Skatefan
08-26-2012, 03:20 AM

No. I don't.

martyross
08-26-2012, 03:21 AM
im a little surprised that a federation is so into the skaters' preparation. particularly when they 'suggest' them to change a program entirely. or is it something that other feds do too?

Lacey
08-26-2012, 03:44 AM
Better here than after some (early) competitions.

Garden Kitty
08-26-2012, 04:34 AM
Tweet from US Figure Skating:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating

We got your messages about blurry pictures and we'll work on it going forward. Thanks for your feedback! #sorry

misskarne
08-26-2012, 08:42 AM
That is the purpose of the Team USA Summer mini-camps at Liberty, Detroit, Glacier Falls, Indy and Lake Placid (for pairs and dance). The skaters that are on the ISP or going to a JGP or Senior B and were not invited to Champs Camp attend those sessions.

At the Summer mini-camps, they attend a short seminar with a Sports psychologist, USFS International committee members and participate in team building exercises. They also run their programs for top officials to critique for future improvement.

Many of the aforementioned athletes also compete at the associated competition, as well, in front of top officials (check out the Glacier Falls Summer Classic videos on IceNetwork to see a sample).

Cheers for the info. Very interesting.

I knew there were big summer comps at all these places but I didn't realise they were usually associated with a camp. Interesting setup.

No. I don't.

Okay...how come?

made_in_canada
08-26-2012, 08:53 AM
im a little surprised that a federation is so into the skaters' preparation. particularly when they 'suggest' them to change a program entirely. or is it something that other feds do too?

It definitely happens in Canada. Even at the lower levels here in BC (Juvenile, Pre-novice) there are opportunities early in the season to get feedback from judges and skater development folks on programs, layout, choice of elements, etc... I'd be shocked if other federations didn't do the same.

UMBS Go Blue
08-26-2012, 11:04 AM
That Madison Chock dress... :scream:EYS. :yikes:

Madison, sweetie, ditch that hideous Little Mermaid look (http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/ariel-the-little-mermaid-1005731_800_600.jpg), unless you're mocking your targeted demographic, which reads romance novels, watches equestrian, dreams about princesses and tiaras, but is otherwise untiffed, has no look, and throws pajama jeans over those Depends to go out and about.

Madison, unleash that inner sluttiness / bitchy O-face / championship diva material and let yourself roam free, preferably in something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH8zNrbouLM).

Smooches! xoxoxo :2faced:

Zemgirl
08-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Madison, sweetie, ditch that hideous Little Mermaid look (http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/ariel-the-little-mermaid-1005731_800_600.jpg), unless you're mocking your targeted demographic, which reads romance novels, watches equestrian, dreams about princesses and tiaras, but is otherwise untiffed, has no look, and throws pajama jeans over those Depends to go out and about.
I think the best selling romance sub-genres at the moment are Regency historicals and paranormals. Both would be vastly preferable as inspirations.

Madison, unleash that inner sluttiness / bitchy O-face / championship diva material and let yourself roam free, preferably in something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH8zNrbouLM).
But what would Evan wear for that? :slinkaway

Hedwig
08-26-2012, 11:41 AM

Just ask Russia, aka Tarasova.

blancanieves
08-26-2012, 05:44 PM
I guess a picture says a thousand words, er snarks?

Anyone know what happened to Madison Hubbell?

Per Zach's twitter, apparently she was in Detroit all week. I wonder what that means in terms of presenting their programs to USFSA.

Sylvia
08-26-2012, 05:53 PM
The U.S. junior champions and Junior World/Junior Grand Prix medalists used to be a part of Champs Camp through the one held in June 2009 (for all Team A & B envelope athletes) before they switched the dates to late August and narrowed it to Senior Grand Prix competitors only.

Here's the blurb about USFS' Summer Team USA Camps: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=448

The Summer Team USA camps listed below are strongly recommended for all ISP athletes not assigned to a Grand Prix Series event. Athletes attending a Summer Team USA Camp have the opportunity to perform their short program and free skate program (ice dancing teams - short and free dances) in the competition. Athletes also participate in a 45-minute technical feedback session, pre-participation physical exam and mental training and a half-day seminar. Only one camp per athlete is necessary. It is strongly recommended that coaches of an ISP athlete assigned to or being considered for a Junior Grand Prix Series or Senior B event attend one camp with their athlete(s).

Grant Hochstein blogged about his program evaluation and the Team USA Camp at the Glacier Falls competition earlier this month: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120803&content_id=36047180&vkey=ice_news