PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Champs Camp in Colorado Springs (for U.S. Grand Prix skaters/teams)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Sylvia
08-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Article about Abbott, Rippon, Miner: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120823&content_id=37232326&vkey=ice_news

peibeck
08-24-2012, 05:26 PM
... but I don't think we are ready (I'm not) to hear Adele in a competitive program this season.

Heads up, Logan and Lynn's FD is to music by Adele. :lol: (Dang, lavenderblue beat me to it!)

Weir is hilarious. I like that he's still candid in interviews, even if he's doing his best to toe the line.

Run before the grammar nazis get you!!! :slinkaway

I'm looking forward to seeing Johnny's programs, recycled Gaga or not! ;)

shan
08-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Heads up, Logan and Lynn's FD is to music by Adele. :lol: (Dang, lavenderblue beat me to it!)

Run before the grammar nazis get you!!! :slinkaway

I'm looking forward to seeing Johnny's programs, recycled Gaga or not! ;)

I'm no grammar nazi, but.......

http://grammartips.homestead.com/toetheline.html

bmcg
08-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Then you should probably avoid Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt's FD this year... :shuffle:

:lol: Well thankfully there is depth in US ice dance and I won't be subjected to this ;)

TanithandBenFan
08-24-2012, 05:45 PM
:lol: Well thankfully there is depth in US ice dance and I won't be subjected to this ;)

Lynn and Logan are one of the top teams in the US and will be on the Grand Prix, so unless you go underground, get ready to hear it. :P They're using two Adele songs no one used last year that I'm aware of - "Turning Tables" and "Rumor Has It." Plus, they worked with Stacy Tookey, an amazing contemporary dance choreographer, so I expect this program to totally :kickass: :)

maatTheViking
08-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Yes I think you're right - a mental lapse due to rushing to make a deadline.

I was really reacting to the general, seemingly universal, confusion around they're, their and there (not just on FSU). It seems no-one is taught the difference anymore, or cares. And get this - I made a typo just now typing they're and the auto-correct offered there're :lol:

Maybe someone should send icenetwork this poster (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling) :P

blancanieves
08-24-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I love figure skating AND linguistics :P

peibeck
08-24-2012, 06:39 PM

Whee, learned something new today. Thanks, shan! I have most often see it "tow" so assumed that was correct. :lol:

UMBS Go Blue
08-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Haven't read fully into any links or other threads, but if Johnny was given a version of "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga herself, then could it be a customized version that nobody's ever heard before?

In that case, at least a customized, never-heard-before remix would be unique and quite special.

Im sure the list is long. Fortunately for many of us her music wasn't shoved upon us ad nauseum. I hate the song he is skating to, just hate it and think it's far too early to be forcing it upon us again It's better than the Lawrence Welk Show which most of skating is these days. :P

olympic
08-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Article about Dornbush, Razzano, Weir: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120824&content_id=37254694&vkey=ice_news

As a Dorny uber, I was glad to see that there was a logical explanation for everything last season (although, I've never heard of this problem before):

snip (bold mine):

It turns out, a fluke problem -- warping of the right boot -- had thrown off his jumps, but he didn't know it until after he returned from a vacation following Four Continents.

"I went to get my blade sharpened, and my guy said, 'Who did this?'" Dornbush said. "He was getting a little mad at me. He was like, 'I didn't put them on like this.' Basically, the center of my boot had warped.

"So I'm very happy to work with Riedell, who this year produced a new design on the bottom of the boot that has a synthetic material that keeps it from warping in heat, especially in California, where we experience extreme temperatures."

Longtime coach Tammy Gambill was as relieved as Dornbush to uncover -- and fix -- the problem.

"Even in practice, things were not working right. You could tell something was off, but we couldn't figure out what it was," she said. "The blades were twisted; the boots had broken down, so the more he skated on them, the worse it got. He just kept thinking he was going crazy.

"So once the blade was moved over, things started falling back into place and he got his confidence back."

Also. It sounds like they've got a good strategy for this season. I like the comments about the jump placements. Everything helps (snip- bold mine):

Dornbush, who landed his first-ever quad in international competition at 2011 Skate America, is ramping up his technical content.

"We put the quad toe in the short, and so far I've been training two quads in the long," he said. "I plan to be very competitive on the Grand Prix circuit, certainly technically. Hopefully that, plus my [program] components, will allow me to place well and possibly make the final."

"We put a single quad in the short, and a quad toe-double toe and another single toe in the free," Gambill said. "We want to save a triple toe for the triple Lutz-triple toe. I told him, 'If you land the first one, you get to try the second; if you don't, you have to do a triple Lutz.' He always wants to go for it, so I know he's fighting harder to get that first one done."

Why is he doing Regionals? He has 2 GP assignments ... :confused:

snip (bold mine):

Dornbush plans a full schedule: He is slated to compete at the 2012 Golden West Championships next week, as well as his regionals, before his two Grand Prix events, the Rostelecom Cup and the NHK Trophy.

Sylvia
08-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Evan Lysacek has shown up for video/photo shoots: https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/239061943053336576/photo/1

ETA:

Dornbush's 1st GP isn't until Nov. 9-11 (Rostelecom Cup) and that's several weeks before SWP Regionals (Oct. 12-16).

PinkFeathers
08-24-2012, 07:20 PM

I think he'd only get a Regionals bye if it falls at the same as his international assignments. CoR and NHK aren't until November, and his Regionals is in October. Could be wrong, however.

olympic
08-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Article about Abbott, Rippon, Miner: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120823&content_id=37232326&vkey=ice_news

Interesting new approach by Rippon. I hope it helps him with the Quad (snip - bold mine) -

Seibert pushed for another big appearance change, prodding Rippon to hit the gym and add some muscle.

"His criticism was really constructive," Rippon said. "He told me, 'If you want to be taken more seriously, you need to look like a man out there.' So I cut all my hair off, went to the gym, and here I am."

The iron-pumping sessions have helped add spring to his jumps.

"The only issue is, I sometimes try a little too hard and forget it's a lot easier for me to do the jumps," he said. "I'm definitely growing into my man body; I'm definitely in it to win it."

I'm VERY encouraged for Miner and the 4s based on this -

snip (bold mine)

Ross Miner's short at Champs Camp marked a major milestone: the U.S. bronze medalist landed a quad Salchow, a jump he had yet to hit in competition.

"I've landed it every single day since Liberty [in July]. It's getting consistent, and I was able to land it here," he said. "I've done it in an official setting. It's a monkey off of my back to be able to say, 'I've done it; now I know I can do it when I need to.' I'll go back home and get more and more numbers on it."

I think he'd only get a Regionals bye if it falls at the same as his international assignments. CoR and NHK aren't until November, and his Regionals is in October. Could be wrong, however.

Well, it will give him more mileage on his new programs.

LilJen
08-24-2012, 08:34 PM
It turns out, a fluke problem -- warping of the right boot -- had thrown off his jumps, but he didn't know it until after he returned from a vacation following Four Continents.
. . .

"So I'm very happy to work with Riedell, who this year produced a new design on the bottom of the boot that has a synthetic material that keeps it from warping in heat, especially in California, where we experience extreme temperatures."

Coincidence? Jeremy Abbott's less than stellar 2010-2011 season was marred by several pairs of warped boots made by. . . wait for it. . . RIEDELL.

Sylvia
08-24-2012, 10:47 PM
More quotes - this time from Caroline Zhang, Gracie Gold, and Mark Ladwig: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/08/24/champs-camp-nuggets-day-two/