PDA

View Full Version : Phyllis Diller Dies at 95

Pages : [1] 2

soxxy
08-20-2012, 08:54 PM
I remember her on Ed Sullivan as a kid. I didn't understand her jokes, but she made me laugh anyway. :) ("Fang" was her husband she joked about.)

RIP Phyllis.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/tmz-reporting-phyllis-diller-died-at-95/

Southpaw
08-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Damn damn DAMN!!!!

sorry for swiping your line Rexy baby

VALuvsMKwan
08-20-2012, 09:01 PM
OH NO!!! Another childhood icon (literally) of mine, and doubtless other gay men, gone.

Phyllis really, really broke ground for female comics in the middle of the last century (and no doubt continues to inspire quite a few drag queens to this day). The amazing, seemingly contradictory thing to her outrageous comedy style was that she really had a talent for concert piano and worked very hard on it later in life to the extent that she made well-received guest appearances with symphony orchestras.

RIP funny, talented lady and clown (in the best possible sense).

Simone411
08-20-2012, 09:03 PM
This is so sad. She always made me laugh whenever she talked about "Fang".

Rest In Peace, (((Phyllis))) :(

skatesindreams
08-20-2012, 09:21 PM
She was a real pioneer for women in show business.
So gifted, in many areas.

From the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/21/arts/television/phyllis-diller-sassy-comedian-dies-at-95.html?pagewanted=all

Before she was famous; on "You Bet Your Life"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86SyZ12ReIk

AragornElessar
08-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Already been said, but another one of my childhood icons has left us. :( She was always hysterically funny w/a bite, but not a nasty bite if that makes sense. Definitely sarcastic, but not out and out nasty and I know I'm not saying what I'm meaning really that well, but that's the limitation of words.

Such an incredably funny lady and a trailblazer for Female Comediennes. What an amazing legacy to leave the World. She will be missed. :(

Nan
08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Phyllis Diller made me laugh even before I was old enough to know why I was laughing. She was an amazing woman.

RIP Ms. Diller. :(

Really
08-20-2012, 09:57 PM
:(

nubka
08-20-2012, 10:16 PM
How sad. First, I had to have my little pug put to sleep today, and then I find out that Phyllis Diller had passed away. :(

She was so funny. I always got a kick out of her when I was a kid in the 60's. Loved her crazy clothes, too!

Flatfoote
08-20-2012, 10:39 PM
RIP Phyllis Diller.

I have to say that, growing up I have to admit that I actually hated her. But it was because her wild unruly trademark hair was used as a weapon of comparison by the people (my peers) who mercilessly bullied me. Since I grew up with the hateful remarks of being compared to Phyllis Diller, I also grew up thinking Phylis Diller was a bad thing.

Because of that barrier in my mind, I can't say that I ever really warmed up to her humor. Though I can say that at least eventually the hate melted away. I am saddened by her passing. Regardless of the method, I did have somewhat of a connection to her.

peibeck
08-20-2012, 11:17 PM
:wuzrobbed

I just watched the documentary "Goodnight, We Love You" about Phyllis' last Las Vegas stand-up show. It's from 2004 and she was still hilarious and relevant. It's on Netflix if you get the chance to see it.

One of my favorite guilty pleasures is the comedy "The Private Navy of Sgt. O'Farrell" with Phyllis and Bob Hope. It's super corny and freaking hysterical.

Barbra Streisand was an opening act to Phyllis Diller in the early 60's as well, before she struck it big on Broadway.

skatesindreams
08-20-2012, 11:24 PM
That must have been something to see!

VALuvsMKwan
08-21-2012, 12:19 AM
:wuzrobbed

I just watched the documentary "Goodnight, We Love You" about Phyllis' last Las Vegas stand-up show. It's from 2004 and she was still hilarious and relevant. It's on Netflix if you get the chance to see it.

One of my favorite guilty pleasures is the comedy "The Private Navy of Sgt. O'Farrell" with Phyllis and Bob Hope. It's super corny and freaking hysterical.

Barbra Streisand was an opening act to Phyllis Diller in the early 60's as well, before she struck it big on Broadway.

That must have been something to see!

I thought about mentioning that in my original post. From the accounts I have read and remember, Barbra, not being an experienced live performer then, was somewhat nervous at those engagements, and Phyllis was very supportive of Barbra on and offstage to help put her at ease.

I remember "The Private Navy of Sgt. O"Farrell" as well - went to see it at our local theater when it was released, in fact.

Rex
08-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Damn damn DAMN!!!!

sorry for swiping your line Rexy baby

You're forgiven - I said the same thing.

But she has had a long eventful life, was broke so much ground for women comics. A helluva legacy.

skateboy
08-21-2012, 01:15 AM
RIP, Ms. Diller.