PDA

View Full Version : 70 Years Ago Today On A Beach In France...

AragornElessar
08-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Today is the 70th Anniversary of the Bloodiest Day in World War II for Canada w/the complete and total disaster that was the Raid on Dieppe. To say it was a completely inept plan is an understatement and too many men were killed due to it. Complete Regiments were either completely or close to being wiped out.

Some of the Dieppe Veterans are over there today to take part in the Commemorative Ceremonies. They're all now either 90 or over 90, which just saddens me over the fact we're losing our WWII Vets more and more these days due to the passage of time. I lost my Cousin Nelson who was a Veteran of the Holland Campaign this past Spring and now my Aunt in BC is the last living WWII Veteran of my Family. It makes having the Veterans tell their stories and also recording them in some manner even more important now.

Canada's History channel will be showing a Documentary tonight to mark the Anniversary. I wish the CBC would also re air the two part mini series they did in the early 90's about Dieppe w/Victor Garber as Mountbatten. It was excellent IIRC.

I just thought it deserved a thread. May those who lost their lives never be forgotten. May those who survived be given the peace of mind to be able live w/their memories. :(

nubka
08-19-2012, 09:59 PM
:( :( :( :(

Wyliefan
08-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for this commemoration. Peace and blessings to them.

Buzz
08-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Lest we forget.

AragornElessar
08-21-2012, 05:01 AM
Did anyone else see Dieppe Uncovered last night or tonight as History Canada re aired it? Talk about turning the History books on their ears and then some!!

Dr David O'Keefe started digging through the Ultra papers that have only been released and Declassified over the last twenty years for more information on the planning and/or reason for the Raid and do you know what he found? The *real* reason for the Raid and it wasn't just a feint to test the German defences that we've been told all these years.

Earlier that year, a brand new version of the Enigma Code Machine had been brought into use by the Germans. The previous machines used a three router system, which the British/Allied Code Breakers had broke and in turn, knew where the U Boat Wolf Packs were patrolling, which gave the Convoys Britain needed so badly a better chance of making it across the Atlantic. The new version of Enigma brought in a four router system and it had the Code Breakers stopped cold.

At this time, a new unit had been created under the Royal Marines and tasked w/the role of being Intellegence Commandos. They'd be inserted behind Enemy Lines or would go in w/a Raiding Party and their sole objective to "loot" Intellegence materials.

Such as the Code Books or even the four router Enigma machine itself.

In one of those odd chances of reality meeting fantasy, guess whose idea this Unit was and who was one of the top Officers in charge of it? Ian Fleming. Yes, *that* Ian Fleming who gave the World OO7 Commander James Bond. Even I did a double take over that piece of information.

While the Canadian troops went in and engaged the Germans, the Commandos were to go up the harbour in a small boat able to beach on the shore, storm the German Intellegence HQ and take whatever important "booty" they could find. They were to return immediately to the Naval Task Force w/what they'd found, hand it over to Fleming on the Command Ship of the Task Force and head at once to the nearest British port w/whatever had been taken.

When the small boat and the Commandos tried to make their run into the Harbour, they were outgunned and had to turn back. They never did make it onto land or into the Town.

Sadly, none of this changes the fact the Raid was beyond poorly planned and that beach became a Slaughterfield for so many Canadians. What this new information does do however, is to put a brand new light on the entire Operation. As one Dieppe Veteran said towards the end of the Documentary, at least he now knows his Buddies didn't die in vain and if it had only worked, imagine how that could have changed not only the War, but how many lives could have been saved? It's taken 70 years and a curious Historian to figure it all out, but at least now the Veterans who are still w/us and the Families of those who never made it off that beach, know the truth.

I was just floored after watching that last night. If you have a chance to watch it, do.

Buzz
08-21-2012, 06:07 AM
I watched it and highly recommend it to all WW2 buffs. :cheer2:

Marilou
08-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks for this. Wish I has seen it earlier. My husband is very interested in WWII history as his grandfather was overseas for 5 years. He fought in Italy and later Holland, if I remember correctly. He would have loved to have seen this. Will definitely take a look for it to re-air.

reckless
08-21-2012, 08:57 PM
I hope that documentary airs in the U.S. My step-grandfather was wounded and captured at Dieppe and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp. He never talked about his experiences in the war, but I know my stepmom always thought the Allies just let the Canadians be canon-fodder for their test. I would like to share with her the new information.

Ironically, I learned more about his war experience from this article about my step-grandfather (http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jun/02/local/me-journal2). He kept a journal in the POW camp, but lost it the day he and some other prisoners were rescued. It was found by a German family whose son kept it for 60 years and, with help, managed to trace it to my step-grandfather and return it to him shortly before he died.

AragornElessar
08-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Thanks for sharing that w/us reckless. I always have a bit of added respect for any Veteran of either Dieppe or/and Hong Kong. What those men went through... :(

I'd say it'll be a safe bet this get reaired during History's annual Week of Remembrance programing leading up to Remembrance Day this coming November. You might also want to check iTunes too and see if it's available over there.

Marilou
08-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Looked last night, and it's re-airing on History Channel on Friday.

Karina1974
08-26-2012, 02:20 AM
I bet my father would LOVE to see that. He is a scholar of WWII, being both Jewish and the son of an American WWII vet; he was also involved in Cryptography while serving in the US Army back in the early/mid 1960's. There actually was an Enimga machine on the base where he was stationed, and he learned all about how it works. I was talking to him just today, and he brought it up, and I was trying to remember where I had read a mention about the EM recently. Sure enough, it was your post!

Did anyone else see Dieppe Uncovered last night or tonight as History Canada re aired it? Talk about turning the History books on their ears and then some!!

I was just floored after watching that last night. If you have a chance to watch it, do.