PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need cat advice asap!

Smiley0884
08-17-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm in desperate need of cat advice! My boyfriend and I took in a stray kitten/young cat a few weeks ago, he's been really sweet and friendly. We tried to see if he had any owners looking for him, he didn't have a micro chip, and nothing came up, so we decided to keep him.

Over the past few days, as soon as my boyfriend comes home from work (around midnight) he starts going nuts! He keeps clawing at the door, the window, meowing, and jumping around making quite a bit of noise. We live in an apartment building, and a couple of our neighbors have already complained, (one of them quite rudely). My boyfriend is getting really stressed out about the complaints and our cat's behavior. He seems perfectly calm all day, then right around midnight he just starts to spazz out.

I don't know what to do because my boyfriend is basically saying we can't keep him if the behavior continues. I've already grown so attached to Drogo :( We made an appointment to get him neutered next Monday, so I'm hoping that will calm him down somewhat. I've never had a male cat before, so I'm not sure. If anyone has any tips or advice on how to calm a cat, it would be greatly appreciated!

Southpaw
08-17-2012, 10:01 PM
He'll likely settle down after he gets the ole snip-a-roni.

wickedwitch
08-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Try Feliway diffusers. I've only used the wipes, but they worked well, and I know of other people who use the diffusers.

michiruwater
08-17-2012, 10:20 PM
I agree with Southpaw that probably after the Monday appointment he'll be fine, but in the meantime Feliway might not be a bad idea.

Anita18
08-17-2012, 10:21 PM
He'll likely settle down after he gets the ole snip-a-roni.
Agree, but it depends on how old he is. Young kittens are always hyper. But if it's a young cat, it's likely those male hormones!

Can you tire him out before the midnight spazz with playtime? My cat will sometimes spazz out around midnight as well, but he's old and fat so it doesn't take much spazzing before he calms down again. :lol: Some cats go nuts with laser pointers, but mine really loves string.

Also, some cats will spazz after they've had a meal. Mine will also have a mini-spazz after he's dropped a doozy in the litter box. :lol: Cats are weird!

galaxygirl
08-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Back when I had a cat, whenever he'd go flying through the house like a bat out of hell someone would always comment that he must have just taken a really good poop. :lol:

overedge
08-17-2012, 10:30 PM
If he's getting excited when your BF comes home, it's likely that he loves your BF and figures it's playtime. If your BF can give him some attention then, that might help calm the kitty down for the rest of the night.

If he's calm all day, try to wear him out so he sleeps at night. If he's sleeping during the day, wake him up every half-hour. You don't have to do anything with him, just wake him up so that his sleep is interrupted and he'll want to get a nice long undisturbed sleep at night.

Some cats are just nocturnal and it's hard to change their behaviour patterns. It could also be that at night there is something outside that is making him hyper (e.g. raccoons or skunks that he can smell).

I don't know Feliway, but some cat owners I know have had a lot of success with Rescue Remedy for pets - it's a naturopathic serum that reduces anxiety. You can put drops of it in their food.

snoopy
08-17-2012, 10:53 PM
I adopted a young male cat and the first six months were hard. I felt like I had a baby I had to get up in the middle of the night for - no sleep. I thought I might not be able to keep him either but I stayed with it and eventually we got into a routine so he is calmer at night. I did lock him in his own bedroom for a few months for six hours (with food, water, litter, a cat tree and a window seat), while I slept. After awhile, he calmed down but it did take awhile before I could let him roam freely at night. I let him outside twice a day so he can get some more excercise, I think that helps too. More stimulation. I never trained him but he never leaves the yard and actually comes back in when I call.

Japanfan
08-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Neutering can completely change a cat's personality, so you could tell the neighbours to just hang in there for a few more days.

Garden Kitty
08-18-2012, 12:01 AM
I also think the surgery will help, but as someone mentioned, kittens and young cats are pretty active, so make sure there are things for him to do and keep him entertained.

My pet sitter got the garden kitty a nice battery operated toy that has a rotating string and the garden kitty will play with that for a long time, jumping and chasing the string as it disappears. I still play with him when i can, but when he wants to play and I dont' have time, that toy is great.

And gk also loves Da Bird. He'll chase it and go jumping around chasing the feather toy - it really tires him out.

snoopy
08-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Omg I have $150 in cat toys my cat has no interest in. He likes to play chase with me and if we go a few times up and down the stairs, that will tire him out. But not so much with the toys.

Id be more than happy to mail them to you, if they help.

michiruwater
08-18-2012, 12:49 AM
When I got my male cat he was 2 months old and like snoopy I totally underestimated exactly how energetic he would be at night :lol: I didn't get much sleep for a few months, but he did eventually calm down and his patterns changed to adapt to mine so he could sleep with me at night.

A different thing you could do, which might at first seem counterproductive but really isn't, is get another kitten so that they can play together and tire each other out. I wish I'd done that now, and when/if (probably when :lol:) I get another cat I will probably get two kittens so that they have a playmate.

I definitely agree that he's probably really exited when your bf comes home and wants to play.

PRlady
08-18-2012, 02:23 AM
When PRkid was working the evening shift at a bookstore, Oscar would sit by the door and wait patiently. The minute she was inside, shazamm, he was like the white tornado around my little apartment. He actually would come running at her with his favorite toy (a measuring tape, go figure) in his mouth. A half an hour of yowling and running would ensue, and he was already grown.

Now PRkid is on the same day shift as I am so the happy-happy is in the late afternoon whichever one of us comes home first. So, tell your boyfriend to get a day job. ;)

(Seriously the neutering is going to make a lot of difference.)

Smiley0884
08-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone! It's a huge help, since I've only ever had one cat before, and she was already 8 when my family took her in. All she wanted to do was eat, sleep, and get her belly rubbed! She was so low maintenance, nothing like this kitty, lol. I'm going to try the Feliway to see if that works! I'm really hoping he calms down after getting neutered, we just have to get through this weekend and next week. :)