PDA

View Full Version : Groupon questions

nyrak
08-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi Everyone

I've been getting the emails from Groupon for awhile now, there's some good deals, but nothing I've been interested enough it to buy.

A few days ago they sent me a voucher for $15 off my first purchase. The next day they were offering a memory foam mattress for 77% off. I'm very interested, but still leery. It's an excellent deal, and I need a new bed. But if the deal seems too good to be true....

I've heard it's best to check out the actual company with these online deals, make sure they actually exist, etc. I know Groupon promises to make things right if you're not happy with your purchase, but I'm a little nervous about #1 making a major purchase like this #2 something that will have to be shipped to me, rather than a say a gift certificate for a place in my hometown. There's a place for questions on the offer's website. I asked if shipping is included, and about tax. They say shipping is included, and you only pay tax on what you pay, not the actual retail price, so there shouldn't be any hidden costs to worry about.

So does anyone have any stories about Groupon? Good or bad?

Thank you!:dog:

Cupid
08-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi Everyone

I've been getting the emails from Groupon for awhile now, there's some good deals, but nothing I've been interested enough it to buy.

A few days ago they sent me a voucher for $15 off my first purchase. The next day they were offering a memory foam mattress for 77% off. I'm very interested, but still leery. It's an excellent deal, and I need a new bed. But if the deal seems too good to be true....

I've heard it's best to check out the actual company with these online deals, make sure they actually exist, etc. I know Groupon promises to make things right if you're not happy with your purchase, but I'm a little nervous about #1 making a major purchase like this #2 something that will have to be shipped to me, rather than a say a gift certificate for a place in my hometown. There's a place for questions on the offer's website. I asked if shipping is included, and about tax. They say shipping is included, and you only pay tax on what you pay, not the actual retail price, so there shouldn't be any hidden costs to worry about.

So does anyone have any stories about Groupon? Good or bad?

Thank you!:dog:

I've only used them for restaurants, and they've always turned out well.

Artemis@BC
08-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Nothin' but good things to say about Groupon.

I while back I had a coupon for a local restaurant that closed down before I had a chance to use the coupon. I was expecting to have a bit of back-and-forth with Groupon to get my money back. But they were way ahead of me: as soon as I logged onto my account, I got a message saying "Ziada restaurant has closed, would you like a refund or a Groupon credit?" I was so impressed.

There are lots of copycats out there now of course and not all have the same level of service (and I could give you one horror story a friend had with another company). But for Groupon, I say if the product sounds good and is the right price, go for it.

Rob
08-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Never had a problem.

KCC
08-16-2012, 10:30 PM
No issues with Groupon. A friend had a problem using her coupon before it expired, but that should not be an issue for your purchase. However, are you sure that you want a memory foam mattress? They pare WAY too hot and uncomfortable for me.

Really
08-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Never any issues with Groupon.

nyrak
08-19-2012, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the advice, just purchased my mattress - excited!

I love a good deal, hope this is the first of many :)

:dog:

Ajax
08-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I've never had issues with groupon. Used them once for skydiving, once for a 1 month membership at a rock-climbing gym, once for a haircut, once for BOS-NYC bus tickets, and many times for restaurants. If you're savvy, it's a great way to save money and/or discover new things. And if you decide that you don't want to use a groupon that you bought, you can go to couprecoup.com and try to resell it. I'd gotten a 175$ groupon for a brazilian hair straightening treatment, then got cold feet after I read about the amount of carcinogenic substances involved. So I sold it on couprecoup.com, got 5 replies within one hour of posting and somebody took it off my hands via paypal, no questions asked.

Artemis@BC
08-20-2012, 10:05 PM
And if you decide that you don't want to use a groupon that you bought, you can go to couprecoup.com and try to resell it. I'd gotten a 175$ groupon for a brazilian hair straightening treatment, then got cold feet after I read about the amount of carcinogenic substances involved. So I sold it on couprecoup.com, got 5 replies within one hour of posting and somebody took it off my hands via paypal, no questions asked.

Good to know, thanks. I've resold gift cards online, but never a groupon-type coupon.

Another good thing about Groupon is that, if you forget to use your coupon before it expires, it's still good for the $ amount you paid at that retailer.

pollyanna
08-21-2012, 03:00 AM
Never had a problem.

Neither have I. I saved about $75 on my daughter's senior photos, and have used Groupon to get my carpet cleaned twice. Very happy with them.

Wyliefan
08-21-2012, 03:06 AM
And if you decide that you don't want to use a groupon that you bought, you can go to couprecoup.com and try to resell it.

That IS good to know. Thank you.