PDA

View Full Version : Online dating advice

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

leesaleesa
08-16-2012, 12:17 AM
It's official: I am divorced, and am kicking around the idea of dating casually. Relationship was over quite a few months ago, and I am completely over it. Not looking to jump right back in the deep end, but would enjoy some company.

Did the registration with Plenty of Fish to increase my odds of meeting someone compatible, as I do meet people live as well, but the responses I have been getting haven't been encouraging, to say the least. Are the pay sites any better?

I am 40, and looking for someone about 37-47.

I also did the labourious questionaire for E-Harmony, and immediately started getting matches for men in their late fifties and sixties, so I don't think that one will work. No, I do not enjoy classic rock (unless nineties rock has become classic) nor Corvettes and photos of you when you had hair, or being only five years older than your children.

Any suggestions?

mkats
08-16-2012, 12:37 AM
just watch out for any lesser gays :cold:

Anita18
08-16-2012, 12:52 AM
I met my fiance on Plenty of Fish, so it isn't impossible to find someone compatible on a free site. It probably takes more time though. I was on there for I think 3 years, casually looking through profiles and reading messages, going on a date or two, before I met my fiance. I mean, I probably deleted 70% of the messages that came into my box because the guy obviously didn't read my profile. :P

I think on a paid site, you might give yourself more pressure to date and get into a relationship because you're paying for it. Depends on your attitude though. If you want to jump right in and get to dating (instead of just reading profiles and filtering messages), then a paid site would be better. But I was perfectly fine taking it slow. :)

My fiance's friend found his now-wife on Eharmony. It was hilarious - they both took the compatibility test and were 100% with each other. She actually messaged him and said, "Hey, we're 100% compatible, we should go out." And that was that. :rofl:

leesaleesa
08-16-2012, 01:01 AM
Lol. Gay men in Wilton Manors tend to date gay men. I'm starting to think this whole lesser gay thing is an urban myth. Not one gay man has ever tried to marry me. Not even one. What's wrong with me?

I probably deleted 70% of the messages that came into my box because the guy obviously didn't read my profile.

A 30% success rate sounds pretty good. I would just like to meet people casually for now. I must have looked at 100 profiles in the past week, but they're so offputting. No baggage, no games, no drama, must not live more than 10 miles from me, even though I am obese you must be thin, must love reptiles.....Ugh. It doesn't help that I look for spelling errors and misuse of caps. Then again, shouldn't you take enough care to make sure your profile is appealing and error free before you post it?

Anita18
08-16-2012, 01:19 AM
A 30% success rate sounds pretty good. I would just like to meet people casually for now. I must have looked at 100 profiles in the past week, but they're so offputting. No baggage, no games, no drama, must not live more than 10 miles from me, even though I am obese you must be thin, must love reptiles.....Ugh. It doesn't help that I look for spelling errors and misuse of caps. Then again, shouldn't you take enough care to make sure your profile is appealing and error free before you post it?
No, I did the same thing. Checked for grammar and such. It was helpful to have a thing for shy awkward nerds. :saint:

Maybe it was more like 90% overall discard rate. I don't remember anymore. It's been 4 years. :lol: Definitely takes time and patience. After a while, reading profiles and messages was actually pretty fun.

And from what I hear, Plenty of Fish has gotten more full of weirdos, so I must have lucked out back then. :lol:

leesaleesa
08-16-2012, 01:29 AM
It was helpful to have a thing for shy awkward nerds

I adore shy, awkward nerds, but I think they are terrified of me.

Where does one go to find these nerds? I could take a Xanax and tie my hands to my side to keep from over talking and wildy gesticulating.

I just checked my matches, and one is a biker friend. He's a fun guy to have a drink with in a group setting, but so not a match.

Anita18
08-16-2012, 01:37 AM
I adore shy, awkward nerds, but I think they are terrified of me.

Where does one go to find these nerds? I could take a Xanax and tie my hands to my side to keep from over talking and wildy gesticulating.
LOL, I don't think that's it. I "interpretive dance" everything I say.

It helps if you live near Caltech, for one. :P Although my fiance didn't go to Caltech, I dated a few guys who did.

Well, they ARE shy and awkward, so you have to message them yourself! :D I maintain that I messaged my fiance first, although he says he might have. Well, back then Plenty of Fish deleted messages older than 2 weeks, so now we'll never know. :mad:

Aussie Willy
08-16-2012, 01:39 AM
Watch out for anyone who calls themselves Macho Man (I had someone of that name contact me via a dating site. Needless to say I did not respond).

leesaleesa
08-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Watch out for anyone who calls themselves Macho Man

Surely it was tongue in cheek? On the other hand, he probably thinks he's the shit.

I've already been yelled at by DanMarinoLookalike2285 and INEED2BWITHUNOW, and been called fat by a Ron Jeremy look a like who probably doesn't know he looks like Ron Jeremy. Let's just say he's rotund, to be polite. All for looking at their profiles and not leaing a message. I didn't see any nerds. Then again, Ft Lauderdale isn't known for it's intellectuals, but someone has to do IT, right?

I think I've found another book subject.

Anita18
08-16-2012, 03:14 AM
I've already been yelled at by DanMarinoLookalike2285 and INEED2BWITHUNOW, and been called fat by a Ron Jeremy look a like who probably doesn't know he looks like Ron Jeremy. Let's just say he's rotund, to be polite. All for looking at their profiles and not leaing a message. I didn't see any nerds. Then again, Ft Lauderdale isn't known for it's intellectuals, but someone has to do IT, right?

Yeeeah, if you were near the Kennedy Space Center, you could bag yourself a NASA scientist. Not sure what sort of nerds you're gonna find in Ft Lauderdale.

IT guys aren't ALL that nerdy, IMO. The real nerds are making more money as engineers. :lol:

RFOS
08-16-2012, 03:19 AM
I need to find someone who likes shy, awkward nerds. :shuffle:

Aussie Willy
08-16-2012, 03:44 AM
Surely it was tongue in cheek? On the other hand, he probably thinks he's the shit.

No it was actually quite serious. And now that you mention it he had the Ron Jeremy look about him :lol:. I don't think he read profiles very carefully either because if he had really read mine he should have twigged that I was none of those things that he was looking for (such as I am not a romantic person).

Aussie Willy
08-16-2012, 03:45 AM

:lol: You need to keep updating us on this. Already sounds very interesting and will give us hours of entertainment.

heckles
08-16-2012, 04:04 AM
Any suggestions?

Ah, the online dating scene. Avoid the ones who define themselves as Wiccans or Pagans. It's internet code for "I'm an unattractive narcissist who wants to appear spiritual but can't follow the rules of a real religion."

Kruss
08-16-2012, 04:09 AM
A couple of years ago, I found reading profiles for potential dates so disheartening yet hilarious that I started an "Adventures in Online Dating" blog. It's truly amusing going through some of those profiles. ;)

My funniest experience (http://songkat.tumblr.com/page/4) (it's the one entitled "Adventures in Online Dating #2").