PDA

View Full Version : Online dating advice

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

leesaleesa
08-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Just joined POF yesterday. Definitely a lot of creeps.

I'm thinking that someone with a mental health license could make a few bucks picking up clients on that site. Not that it's ethical per se, but some of these humans need help, so win-win.

My Soul Mate of the Day was standing sideways in his main photo with his back arched, to show off his neat erection. I know that he is a classy gent, because he was wearing pants. Who took the photo? Pet Chimp?

Having a back and forth with a seemingly normal man who is a jeweler, which is interesting as I did some casting a while back.

Headline of the day goes to "I am loser U will like".

canbelto
08-25-2012, 12:58 AM
This is an example of the creepiness:

tadmac8/21/2012 9:55:24 AM
Hi, I was so already moved by your words on another dating site before because you demonstrate such a profound knowledge of yourself and it provided me insight into my own life in those times I felt out of place. And now, I am even more touched by what you have shared here. You have a unique grasp on what we all struggle with every day, who are we? I am a man of deep feelings as well but finding the right kind of expression has been a challenge for me as well. You sell yourself a little short because I find you can convey your thoughts beautifully. I think about life mostly outside of the box and the outside of the routine most others find comforting and I see you can appreciate that.
Ha Ha, who cares? I like that LOL. I will tell you I care. I am the kind of man who thinks it is very important to understand the other person's likes and dislikes. I find it satisfying to share interests with a certain degree of enthusiasm beyond just indulging. Taking initiative and supporting them with your partner to me is the kind of connection that will take the relationship to new heights. I am passionate about the arts and creating in them. I do independent film and miniature theater facilitation and it all starts with the story. So I am intrigued that you like creative writing for example.
Basically, my friends would say I am a good listener, compassionate about others, I volunteer when I can; and make the most of every day. When I look back on the day before, I feel satisfied at what I have accomplished, yet the opportunity to share it has been missing. Having the chance to share the big things and the small, always finding ways to show I care whether it is with your favorite beverage from Dunkin Donuts or a surprise guest, a friend you haven't seen in a while and I have invited over just to put that smile on your face. I would like a chance to get to know each other more and hope you have a great day....

Take Care,
Steve

poisonivy3268/21/2012 12:59:24 PM
Hi Steve, I just wanted to say thank you for the nice message. I live in Queens though and at this time would rather date someone closer to me distance wise. I am sure the right girl is out there for you.

tadmac8/21/2012 8:11:11 PM
You are welcome. I was in this situation before and just wanted a chance to address it before you make your decision. I have had to deal with long distance situations in the past with the other person in Tennesse or Rhode Island, very far away. Queens is practically the backyard for me...LOL. I have a good friend who lives in Jamacia and I have an open invitation to stay there. I also belong to several organizations meeting in the city regularly. I'm always there, and from there it is just a few minutes to Queens.
I have come to realize that many things I have looked for will not be local. Whether we are talking about a significant event in the arts, a quality museum or an affair of the heart, anything worthwhile takes the extra effort to explore outside of familiar surroundings. As you so eloquently stated, the courage to come out of your shell. It is with this mind that I will encourage you to reconsider. There are many reasons not to date someone, but only one reason to.....you have put yourself out there and I have responded to a kindred spirit. This is worth exploring.

Have a good night

tadmac8/23/2012 4:27:25 PM
Hi, hope you had a good day. My friend said I could stay with him in Queens every week if I would like and according to the map, it is 21/4 miles from Jamaica to Flushing. I was wondering if you ouldl consent to meeting me under these circumstances. Thinking of you and know if you give me a chance, I will not disappoint you.

Have a wonderful night.

poisonivy3268/23/2012 8:37:48 PM
I appreciate your enthusiasm but I don't know you. It's a little creepy that you're saying you could make plans to stay in Queens just for someone you don't know. As I said, I'd really rather date someone who lives closer to where I live. End of story, I'm sorry.

tadmac8/24/2012 7:42:25 AM
I did not mean to come off in that way, sorry. I respect your decision, but it would mean a lot to me if you would read this..Perhaps getting to know me a bit by my telling you a little of my experience will at least not leave you with the idea that I am creepy. I have identified with you and the way you feel in social situations..I have tried now 30 times to reconnect after my divorce, always ending in the other person departing for rehab, having to pay for past mistakes by serving time, or moving back to another country. It has been very difficult to gain trust and exchange compassion in a meaningful way. I do attempt my best to gain confidence, she wants to move in, go on vacation, and take the steps that would normally indicate that there is some momentum into the future. All that ends abruptly.
I also should add here that I am a late bloomer. I did not date until I was 30, never in high school or college, I was busy making movies since I was in film school. Like the impression I got from you, I was very introverted and could not really relate to any people around me, certainly not women. I spoke to very few people and it was a lonely time for me. Luckily, in my 30's, I had 2 long term relationships, but the second one ended in divorce. Every endeavor in my life I believe has incurred more hardships than usual. My struggle for education, acceptance, fitness, rebuilding my life after divorce and bankruptcy, repairing my credit, and now the ability to share my life have taken me down different paths by thinking outside the box. Just as an example to clarify what I am saying, my grade school teacher thought I could not read. Afternoons, I would spend attending a zoo. I love animals and read all about them to my father. He then knew I could read and resisted the school's assertion I should be held back. So now I know I am trying harder than most other people would just to be able to express myself to you because just like I was perceived as retarded then, now all I am looking for is understanding.
I understand what you are saying about long distance relationships, they don't usually don't work out. But pen pals who write to each other and can be supportive can be anywhere. I was wondering if you would just consider us being that. If not, I wish you you well in your search.

OliviaPug
08-25-2012, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't call that guy "creepy" so much as lonely and desperately seeking companionship ... of any kind. I actually feel a little sorry for him ...

BUT, he could, in fact, be creepy. Who knows unless you meet and get to know someone, and I can see why you wouldn't want to, canbelto.

This thread is unbelievably entertaining. I never had the nerve to online date. Some of you folks are rock stars for trying!

O-

canbelto
08-25-2012, 03:49 AM
I've also gotten just within the past day a 20 year old (I'm 33) begging to hook up and saying girls his age don't take him seriously, and one guy who said he's looking for a relationship with a girl but in the meantime swings with the guys. But he's totally straight.:shuffle:

genevieve
08-25-2012, 04:46 AM
between the Annals of Online Dating and Songkat's Musings I am seriously :rofl:

dbell1
08-25-2012, 05:41 AM
This thread is :rofl: I love the ninja tech guy and the cheesy photos guys send.

About 2 months ago I reactivated my POF profile. Guy who looked like a ferret contacted me. I shuddered, ignored the photo and tried to concentrate on the fact he could spell, seemed nice, had 2 young sons, and we had some stuff in common.

One POF profile thing I thought was hysterical was 'Do you have a car?' as a question. I live in the suburbs, so you need cars here. So, my headline was "Hey Look! I have a car! Pick Me!" (sarcastic of course). :shuffle:

The next day, the ferret emailed me and told me he doesn't have a license or a car. I recheck his profile, says he's got a car. Oh, and he likes long car rides. Ferret said 'I wanted you to get to know me before I told you.' I never replied. I also deleted my profile.

If non-driving ferrets are the best I can do, I'd rather not date. My dog enjoys long car rides too. :P

milanessa
08-25-2012, 11:42 AM
:rofl: I never thought about non-driving being a deal breaker.

Karina1974
08-25-2012, 01:05 PM
:rofl: I never thought about non-driving being a deal breaker.

It is when they start wanting the person in the relationship who has a car to drive them places when/if there is public transport available that will do nicely. Or when they try to move it from being a once-in-a-while favor to being all-the-time, and there are people out there stupid enough to be OK with that, because they don't realize they are being used. Even worse if they want to borrow the car - if I had a guy who asked me that, we'd be breaking up right there on the spot.

orbitz
08-25-2012, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't call that guy "creepy" so much as lonely and desperately seeking companionship ... of any kind. I actually feel a little sorry for him ...

Yeah, I didn't find tadmac's messages to be creepy at all. I do think he opened too much of himself to a total stranger online, but it looks like he was really hoping to make a connection with poisonivy. Of course some people could judge that as being too needy and don't want anything to do with him, but I'm sure there are other very lonely women out there that would give him a chance. In his last message, he stated that if poisonivy didn't feel the same way then he wished her well on her search for a partner.

milanessa
08-25-2012, 04:17 PM
It is when they start wanting the person in the relationship who has a car to drive them places when/if there is public transport available that will do nicely. Or when they try to move it from being a once-in-a-while favor to being all-the-time, and there are people out there stupid enough to be OK with that, because they don't realize they are being used. Even worse if they want to borrow the car - if I had a guy who asked me that, we'd be breaking up right there on the spot.

You sure assume a lot. Must suck to be you, always so suspicious and paranoid about other people's motives.

leesaleesa
08-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I didn't find tadmac's messages to be creepy at all.

I did. She clearly stated non interest, and he replied anyway. He spilled his guts, uninvited, to a total stranger. The whole conversation looked like emotional manipulation to me. She's not his therapist.

Find of the day: Man with pet Squirrel, which is dressed in ....Squirrel clothes...? in some of his photos. I emailed and asked if the squirrel was his, or just a funny picture he pulled from the web, and was treated to a poorly spelled, all caps diatribe on my squirrel hatred. I didn't even say a damn thing about squirrel head gumbo, either.

I like Squirrels, if they're not the human variety.

Not driving where I live is not impossible, but you won't get far or do much with our shoddy public transportation. It's not unreasonable to expect most adults in the 38-45 age range to have a running vehicle. Surely it's different for younger people, but I agree with Karina in that I don't want to become a chauffeur for someone I barely know.

canbelto
08-25-2012, 05:05 PM
He also said he'd be willing to move in with his friend just for a chance to date me? Creeper.

leesaleesa
08-25-2012, 06:12 PM
He also said he'd be willing to move in with his friend just for a chance to date me? Creeper.

You treated him kindy, and he tried to manipulate you for your touble. He is indeed creepy, and continued his creepiness long after you told him no. The whole exchange was entirely about him-He never bothers to ask about you, just waxes on and on about how you make HIM feel, and unloads his "baggage" onto you.

Well, thanks, because now I know what Baggage is! :lol: Lonely guy has lots of it, and due to his bankruptcy/financial troubles, it ain't Louis Vuitton. Beat on down the road, son, and get your act together.

heckles
08-25-2012, 06:24 PM
It is when they start wanting the person in the relationship who has a car to drive them places when/if there is public transport available that will do nicely.

Eh, problem is the same with platonic friends who don't have cars. They pat themselves on the back for being so environmental...then ask to bum rides from you, then expect rides from you.

leesaleesa
08-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Eh, problem is the same with platonic friends who don't have cars. They pat themselves on the back for being so environmental...then ask to bum rides from you, then expect it.

I work with a woman who asked me a few weeks back for a ride home-I was a bit taken aback as I don't know her too well, but I was going that way that day, so I did, and once the following week. She now expects a ride every day, and when I told her I could take her to the bus stop, but not all the way home, she started pouting and couldn't believe I would not drive "Cancer Woman" (her words) home every day. The two times I did take her home, she wasted 25 minutes talking to people while I waited. No more, cancer or no.