PDA

View Full Version : Online dating advice

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

susan6
08-16-2012, 11:13 PM
S
Why must they have those bare chested photos? One man is sitting at a piano, trying to look all soulful, with his silk shirt unbuttoned to show his chest. Just play the damn piano, Professor Longhair.

Send Prof. Longhair my way. The profiles from guys in my area are heavy on the "posing with dead deer I just shot" pics.

One interesting prospect has been seperated for five years, but stays married so his spouse can stay on his insurance, and that makes him a good guy, and women who can't understand that are idiots. He also pointed out that she has given him the green light to date (????)

His name wouldn't happen to be "Tallyguy" would it? Is he also very defensive about how much more fit he is now than when he was younger?

Whatever, guys...."currently separated" means "still married".

You know what's a giant turn-off? Profile pictures that a guy takes of himself in the mirror, where you can see him holding the camera. Especially if all his profile pics are like that. Sad/creepy. Surely you can learn to program your camera's delayed shot function, if you have no friends to take pics for you?

milanessa
08-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Question (serious question) for those of you that have tried online dating sites. We've had these threads before and some people have talked about :eek: experiences - pics of penises, pics of boobs, requests for kinky sex, etc. If you get some of that do you contact the dating site and tell them? Do they do anything about it? Or do you just delete and move on? The site TV advertisements sound so benign, I'm just wondering if they really try and keep it a meeting place instead of a sex forum.

Murdoch
08-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Question (serious question) for those of you that have tried online dating sites. We've had these threads before and some people have talked about :eek: experiences - pics of penises, pics of boobs, requests for kinky sex, etc. If you get some of that do you contact the dating site and tell them? Do they do anything about it? Or do you just delete and move on? The site TV advertisements sound so benign, I'm just wondering if they really try and keep it a meeting place instead of a sex forum.

Lavalife is pretty on top of keeping people in the areas they intend to communicate. I had a guy in the dating section approach me about sex and I flagged him to Lavalife. Two days later his dating profile was gone and his intimate profile appeared. I always reported people on Lavalife, but not Plenty of Fish... that site seemed less monitored to say the least. People would post their penis and boob pictures until they got flagged and deleted. They didn't have the software (at least when I was on) to ban a picture before it was even uploaded.

milanessa
08-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Lavalife is pretty on top of keeping people in the areas they intend to communicate. I had a guy in the dating section approach me about sex and I flagged him to Lavalife. Two days later his dating profile was gone and his intimate profile appeared. I always reported people on Lavalife, but not Plenty of Fish... that site seemed less monitored to say the least. People would post their penis and boob pictures until they got flagged and deleted. They didn't have the software (at least when I was on) to ban a picture before it was even uploaded.

Thanks. I didn't realize there were different sections of the sites.

leesaleesa
08-17-2012, 12:20 AM
I haven't been sent any penis pictures, but my friend has.

And yes, the pictures where they are standing by the toilet taking their photo without selecting the proper white balance are laughable, yet understandable. I just dislike seeing the toilet, mainly.

I do like when they include photos of their homes so I can see if they're a hoarder, or have Thomas Kinkaid and those whale guy prints. Deer antlers ad Gator heads are a no go, too. :scream:

A few years back, my friend was on Match, and we found this guy who created a site called Onegreatkisser.com. Pictures of him on one knee in a suit, staring pensively in the distance, pictures of him in a hotel bath tub with a bottle of Moet and a "This spot reserved for YOU" placard on the edge of the tub next to a bunch of roses, and pictures of him making the world's greatest kisser kissy faces. This is a true story. Sadly, the site is no longer active.

Anita, I live too far from Titusville to find a space nerd, and anyway, they're all moving on. There is this IT guy at work who is interesting, but everytime I have an issue, they send the little weirdo who thinks he's a ninja. I think hot nerd guy goes to LA Fitness, which I may just join once the overtime at work cools down. Yeah, I know about dating people you work with, but we don't work in the same department.

Murdoch
08-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Thanks. I didn't realize there were different sections of the sites.

You are welcome. It's good to cross reference their screen name and see if they are in one section or multiple sections. I find guys who are in all three should generally just flagged as casual daters.

mkats
08-17-2012, 01:24 AM
You know what's a giant turn-off? Profile pictures that a guy takes of himself in the mirror, where you can see him holding the camera. Especially if all his profile pics are like that. Sad/creepy. Surely you can learn to program your camera's delayed shot function, if you have no friends to take pics for you?

Danell Leyva :rofl:

Anita18
08-17-2012, 02:38 AM
So, are you saying that I will have to settle for a lesser nerd?
:rofl:

I actually didn't get much of that when I was on Plenty of Fish. Then again I "look smart" according to everyone I know, and I'm not built like a lingerie model so I didn't get many straight-out creepers. :lol:

Even when I posted a personals ad on CRAIGSLIST of all places (emphasizing my nerdiness), I got only like, 3-5 penis pictures. Out of 1000 responses. That's not bad, IMO. :cool:

Cupid
08-17-2012, 03:31 AM
What I don't understand is why men post pictures of their penis? What's up with that?
:lol:

Prancer
08-17-2012, 04:02 AM
What I don't understand is why men post pictures of their penis? What's up with that?

Men would LOVE it if women posted pics of their more exciting lady parts nekkid; ergo, men assume that women would like for them to do the same.

That oughta tell you right there how much those guys know about women.

Aussie Willy
08-17-2012, 04:18 AM
Depends if any of the pictures are up or not.

Guinevere
08-17-2012, 06:12 AM
Haha I'm so glad this topic came up. OMG I can so relate. I've been on POF since January and I call it POS now. My messages range from really old guys who want to hook up to guys who just ask "How open minded are you?" So far my favorite is the 18 year old who messaged me to tell me I am beautiful FOR MY AGE (I'm 34).

And what's up with all the guys on this site with their Ed Hardy shirts and posing topless in a "muscle man" pose. Sigh.

Anita18
08-17-2012, 06:22 AM
I also have to wonder why most guys think that frowning in their photos is attractive. "Blue Steel" is NOT "I'm so depressed that I didn't make the football team back in high school." It's not hot!

I swear it must be 95% of guys out there who think that. My fiance isn't a smiler in real life (I'm the one going :D all the time), but even HE was smart enough to post pictures of himself smiling on his profile. :lol:

heckles
08-17-2012, 06:37 AM
I also have to wonder why most guys think that frowning in their photos is attractive.

It's not that they think that frowning is attractive, it's that smiling with meth-mouth is unattractive.

Cupid
08-17-2012, 03:25 PM
It's not that they think that frowning is attractive, it's that smiling with meth-mouth is unattractive.

LOL! I've notice that if more than one pic is posted with no teeth showing, it's because their teeth are bad!:D