PDA

View Full Version : Online dating advice

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Ice Queen
08-16-2012, 04:18 AM
I tried Match.com and out of hundreds of guys, I found one I was attracted to. We emailed a couple times, and he told me the co. he worked for and his last name. At first he seemed nice, but then he came up with this. Hey, I know this is a weird question, but what type of underwear do you wear? Says, he just wants to learn more about me, and can tell alot by the underwear. I replied back with this. FYI, I am a lady and therefore will not answer your underwear question. The guy was in his 50's and acted like he was in his 20's.

I found out, he lied about his age by 10 yrs., was not a "social" drinker, but after locating him on twitter....discovered he is clearly an alcoholic. The picture he posted was when he probably was in his 40's. His picture on twitter was very different. Glad I never met him!

Aussie Willy
08-16-2012, 04:18 AM
:rofl: OMG Kruss - the Kurt Russell Lookalike!

Kruss
08-16-2012, 04:27 AM
:rofl: OMG Kruss - the Kurt Russell Lookalike!

Wasn't that hilarious??? I howled when I first read it. Think I should have snapped him up? :lol:

Anita18
08-16-2012, 05:18 AM
I tried Match.com and out of hundreds of guys, I found one I was attracted to. We emailed a couple times, and he told me the co. he worked for and his last name. At first he seemed nice, but then he came up with this. Hey, I know this is a weird question, but what type of underwear do you wear? Says, he just wants to learn more about me, and can tell alot by the underwear. I replied back with this. FYI, I am a lady and therefore will not answer your underwear question. The guy was in his 50's and acted like he was in his 20's.

I found out, he lied about his age by 10 yrs., was not a "social" drinker, but after locating him on twitter....discovered he is clearly an alcoholic. The picture he posted was when he probably was in his 40's. His picture on twitter was very different. Glad I never met him!
Hey at least he prefaced the question with that! The first (and last) time I was on Lavalife, I had guy ask me, "How are your feet?" Even before "Hi how are you? Wanna chat?" :rofl:

Aussie Willy
08-16-2012, 05:44 AM
Wasn't that hilarious??? I howled when I first read it. Think I should have snapped him up? :lol:
:lol: Oh most definately.

My warning signs always go up when someone says that they have a fantastic sense of humour and are a really funny guy. Hmmm isn't that for me to judge?

Murdoch
08-16-2012, 03:23 PM
I used online dating extensively at one point and have the following notes...

1) Plenty of Fish - free, but I found it to be the most laborious in terms of finding people that were ACTUALLY looking for the same thing I was. Due to it being free, I think there are a lot of curious people with no real intent - not everyone - but a good chunk.

2) Match.com - I got nothing from this - I didn't find it very user friendly.

3) eHarmony - I too kept get matched with people ten plus years my senior and I think I made contact with about ten men - never met any of them. So, based on the algorithm of a match, we never made it past chatting...

4) Lavalife - by far my most successful. I liked this one because there are up to three profiles someone can set up and I could see if they were interested in dating, a relationship, sex, all three, only two or only one. This made a HUGE difference in helping me select who I wanted to talk to and make a connection with. I met several of the men I made contact with on there. A few were solo dates, most were multiple dates, and one was a nine month relationship.

My biggest piece of advice, whenever you go on a date, tell someone with who and where you are going. A coworker and I were both dating and we always gave each other the information, just in case and we also staged an intervening phone call about an hour in to the date, just as a double check.

Good luck and have fun!

Impromptu
08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
My sister met her husband on okcupid; and one of my best friends met her fiance on the same site. It's free, and there are plenty of (optional) questions you can answer to figure out compatibility. It also seems to have a decent percentage of those who self identify as shy/nerd/geek.

susan6
08-16-2012, 06:34 PM
I just finished my 3 month subscription to match. Not renewing. I have the extreme bad luck of being a liberal agnostic woman over 35 in a southern town. The majority of men on the site in my near vicinity are into huntin' and fishin' and mud-boggin' and good christian conservative values. I did a search where I expanded the search radius and got some much better matches (all of whom are in academia....yes, we do live in a bubble) but no one nearby. Of the 4-5 men I actually met on dates....nice, but no chemistry.

And yes, you will get the 55 year old men who are finally ready to settle down and have kids. Dude....it doesn't matter how young you FEEL....you're old enough to be my father.

I've pretty much given up on the whole thing. I've never been married and I'm in fairly good shape (I got a lot of compliments on some of the photos I posted) but a major problem is that I don't want to have kids. The men I find myself interested in are in the 35-45 age range, and they all want women in their 20's so they can have kids.

OliviaPug
08-16-2012, 06:45 PM
This is a great thread! Very helpful (and hilarious) too :lol: I went on match.com just after my divorce, but never had the nerve to actually "connect" with anyone. I'm not shy; I just don't think I was ready. Of course, when I found out my ex was on there, that was enough of a deterrent to stay far, far away -- especially as he's told me he's looking for someone just like me, but with brown hair. :confused:

Never heard of lavalife, but sounds like it was a good fit for some. I've heard awful things about eHarmony from friends. And one very close friend (a guy) met his now wife on match.com. I guess anything can yield results with effort and luck.

O-

Anita18
08-16-2012, 07:27 PM
This is a great thread! Very helpful (and hilarious) too :lol: I went on match.com just after my divorce, but never had the nerve to actually "connect" with anyone. I'm not shy; I just don't think I was ready. Of course, when I found out my ex was on there, that was enough of a deterrent to stay far, far away -- especially as he's told me he's looking for someone just like me, but with brown hair. :confused:

Never heard of lavalife, but sounds like it was a good fit for some. I've heard awful things about eHarmony from friends. And one very close friend (a guy) met his now wife on match.com. I guess anything can yield results with effort and luck.

O-
I think only Murdoch had good luck with Lavalife. I met barhoppers and a foot fetishist there. :lol:

Murdoch
08-16-2012, 07:30 PM
I think only Murdoch had good luck with Lavalife. I met barhoppers and a foot fetishist there. :lol:
I remember some of your stories! I was always so careful with my cross referencing... people would even change their profile name and do a separate one in the "sex" section, but I figured them out! LOL

Cupid
08-16-2012, 07:59 PM
I've tried OKStupid (or OKCupid lol), but recently deleted my profile there. There are a ton of questions that you choose to answer from a multiple-choice list. And you can compare them to people they match you up with.

I met one doctor from there. Didn't click with me, but he bombarded me with texts over the next couple of days, we went out twice, and he wanted to go out again, 3 days in a row! I finally told him not to call me so much and if just wanted to be friends and bikeride and play tennis, call me every couple week sor so, no more. He agreed, and then proceeded to text me again the very next day!

Was supposed to meet this other man who lived in my town for a drink. He never texted to confirm, and when I did, he said he was on his way back from being out of town over the weekend, and we picked another date. Same thing. Then, he started texting me how beautiful I was and would I run off to Vegas and just make it legal! Still havent met him!

Other guy, again from my town, was to call me, twice, and never did. But still sends me emails from time to time, which I ignore.

So, no luck there.

I find meeting people face to face through meetup groups if a good way to meet a variety of people in a no pressure atmosphere since there are both men and women doing something they enjoy, like dining out and sporting events.

OliviaPug
08-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Well, okay. Lavalife sounds a little racy for me. Um, there is a sex section ... wow :lol: Not that there's anything wrong with that ... at least those folks are being honest about the reason they're online "dating"!

O-

Anita18
08-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Was supposed to meet this other man who lived in my town for a drink. He never texted to confirm, and when I did, he said he was on his way back from being out of town over the weekend, and we picked another date. Same thing. Then, he started texting me how beautiful I was and would I run off to Vegas and just make it legal! Still havent met him!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

leesaleesa
08-16-2012, 10:52 PM
So that's how it is going to be. I thought it might be more efficient, like Careerbuilder.

Why must they have those bare chested photos? One man is sitting at a piano, trying to look all soulful, with his silk shirt unbuttoned to show his chest. Just play the damn piano, Professor Longhair.I

I received a few messages from one man who is a succesful mental health professional, but lives in one of the worst neighborhoods in Ft. Lauderdale. He explained it was because he's so tall (?????). I'm not sure why he volunteered this information-Maybe his last girlfriend was carjacked. Also unsure why tall guys are relegated to high crime areas.

One interesting prospect has been seperated for five years, but stays married so his spouse can stay on his insurance, and that makes him a good guy, and women who can't understand that are idiots. He also pointed out that she has given him the green light to date (????)

Finally, I chatted with one who seemed normal, but made a big to do about how he hated kids, and was glad I didn't have any so I could concentrate on him. Yeah, I want a needy guy who despises little humans. God.

I gave up for the meantime and am now just looking at their dog pictures.

IT guys aren't ALL that nerdy, IMO. The real nerds are making more money as engineers.

So, are you saying that I will have to settle for a lesser nerd?