PDA

View Full Version : Waterskiing help?

Mozart
08-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Is there anyone here who had difficulty as a beginner getting up and was able to overcome it? I really am determined to do it but I don't want to fight a losing battle.

Backstory: I have had many overuse injuries in arms and shoulders (carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel surgeries, pinched nerve in neck, etc) from flute so my upper body is kinda weak.

1st attempt: I had great form apparently but the rope was riped out of my hands before I got up

Same with attempt 2

3rd attempt: I got a little out of the water but fell sideways to the left before getting all the way up.

Any tips? any waterskiing experts here?

My arms feel like major jello right now and I didn't even get all the way up!

That's all I tried today as the people I am with will only do up to 3 runs at a time.

Prancer
08-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Hello :).

The key is to hold on and NOT try to stand up. If you are the type who tries to help things along, this is very hard to do. But you have to kind of lock yourself into position, brace yourself against the water with your feet evenly placed, and let the boat pull you up to your feet.

FigureSpins
08-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Keep your arms extended - don't try to pull on the tow rope by bending your elbows. It'll just take your feet out from under you and the splat is no fun.

Truthfully, if you have upper-body problems, waterskiing is really difficult and dangerous. You're probably better off on one of those big "banana" rides.

RockTheTassel
08-15-2012, 10:02 PM
For most people who haven't water-skied, it takes more than three tries to make it up, so don't feel bad. Your first attempts weren't worse than normal.

Keep your knees together and curled into your chest. In my experience, it actually helps to not have your arms too far extended because you're more likely to either have the rope ripped out of your hands or be pulled forward into a face plant. Too far inward isn't good either because it can cause you to fall backwards. Somewhere in the middle is best, with the elbows slightly bent and the handle about a foot away from the chest. Keep your skis together and the rope in between them. When the boat starts to pull you, focus on maintaining the tight position and keeping your skis together. Don't try to pull yourself up - just hang on and let the boat do the work.

Once you're out of the water, try to make sure the rope isn't too far in front of you or too far back. Bend your knees slightly and don't let your legs split apart.

Another thing that might affect your ability to make it up is the boat driver. If he or she is inexperienced, that can make it harder. Also, some boat drivers just start driving once the skier looks ready and others wait for the skier to signal or yell "Ready". It really helps if the new skier indicates when the driver should start pulling them instead of the driver doing it automatically. It also might help to have one or two (not five) other people who know how to waterski watch your attempts and give you feedback.

Beyond that, it mainly just takes practice and getting the feel for it. Good luck! :)

Mozart
08-18-2012, 12:27 AM
I got up today! Well, kinda..... I fell flat on my face but it's progress

fsfann
08-18-2012, 12:40 AM
I've taught tons of people over the years, and this is my advice...

- pretend you're sitting in a rocking chair int he water...relax! Knees fairly close together, but not too close.. shoulder width apart or a bit less works.
- keep your arms extended a fair bit.. almost all the way...and "wrap" them around your knees which shoudl be floating at the surface...
- let hte boat do the work and pull you out of the water. Don't stand up until you are really comfortable (stay crouched, and then slowly stand up). Skis should be shoulder width apart once you're comfortable...
- if you're going to fall, LET GO!! or else you'll get a load of water up your nose!

Mozart
09-15-2012, 12:02 AM
I FINALLY GOT UP YESTERDAY!!!!!! I'm feeling it today but I didn't let go and did it!

milanessa
09-15-2012, 11:22 PM
I FINALLY GOT UP YESTERDAY!!!!!! I'm feeling it today but I didn't let go and did it!

Wheeeeeeeeee! I'll bet that feels good.

barbk
09-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Wheeeee! too.

Congratulations. I remember a whole week of failed attempts, and then wondering why I'd ever thought it was hard. Kind of like learning to ride the two-wheeler, but without the scraped knees.