PDA

View Full Version : 32 Years Ago Today...

duane
08-14-2012, 10:47 PM
...the beautiful, 20-year-old Playmate Of The Year Dorothy Stratten secretly left the home of boyfriend Peter Bogdanovich to meet her estranged husband, Paul Snider, at his home to make final arrangements for an amicable split. Hours later, both she and Paul were found dead, she the victim of a murder/suicide.

Her death caused a riff between Peter and once good friend Hugh Hefner. Peter said Dorothy always hated being associated with Playboy, and accused Hefner of forcing Dorothy to have sex with him, to pose for more explicit pictures that he would blowup, and of not allowing the shapely, 5'9" Dorothy to accept modelling offers from more reputable agencies. Hef countered that he was never anything but a father-figure to Dorothy, that she loved the Playboy "family", and that Peter was obsessed with Dorothy.

I think both are correct. Several ex-playmates have said sleeping with Hef was standard for any playmate. And, Hef loves beautiful, buxom blondes, and Dorothy was the epitome of that. Hef simply a "father-figure"? Yeah, one who commits incest. Meanwhile, Peter not only later married Dorothy's younger half-sister Louise (who later had several cosmetic surgeries to look more like Dorothy), but during one interview 25 or so years after Dorothy's death, he not only referred to her in the present tense, but still teared up when talking about her.

RIP Dorothy Stratten...who was too young to die.

olympic
08-14-2012, 10:55 PM
'Star 80' was a film about Dorothy Stratten starring Mariel Hemingway.

I remember her in the movie 'They All Laughed' in 1980. It was to be her first and last major film. Ironically, I think this was also Audrey Hepburn's last film!

falling_dance
08-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Ironically, I think this was also Audrey Hepburn's last film!

Hepburn also had a small role in Always (1989).

olympic
08-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Hepburn also had a small role in Always (1989).

You are right! For some reason, I thought it was 'They all Laughed', but then I saw that she was in 'Always'. Was that a cameo, though?

Back OT - Dorothy had that incredibly sexy look with the long-flowing blonde hair of the late 70s started by Farrah Fawcett. It shaped my 'tween years.

falling_dance
08-14-2012, 11:04 PM
You are right! For some reason, I thought it was 'They all Laughed', but then I saw that she was in 'Always'. Was that a cameo, though?

I'm pretty sure it was.

skatesindreams
08-14-2012, 11:21 PM
The entire awful tragedy was very sad, for all involved.
I believe Peter Bogdanovich became "unhinged" as a result; and has never really recovered.

RIP, Dorothy.

Badams
08-14-2012, 11:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGEovUZQx3k

Bryan Adams loved her. This song was written for her after her death.

overedge
08-15-2012, 08:31 AM
I believe Peter Bogdanovich became "unhinged" as a result; and has never really recovered.

He married her sister and (allegedly) made her have plastic surgery to look more like Dorothy :scream: I believe they are now divorced....sad all around.

Buzz
08-15-2012, 02:30 PM
R.I.P.

heckles
08-15-2012, 08:08 PM
He married her sister and (allegedly) made her have plastic surgery to look more like Dorothy :scream: I believe they are now divorced....sad all around.

He started taking the sister, Louise, on trips and spending money on her when she was just 12. Louise and her mother filed a lawsuit against Hugh Hefner when Louise was 15, after he alleged that Bogdanovich was having sex with her, but then they dropped the suit a few weeks later.

taf2002
08-15-2012, 09:40 PM
'Star 80' was a film about Dorothy Stratten starring Mariel Hemingway.

I remember her in the movie 'They All Laughed' in 1980. It was to be her first and last major film. Ironically, I think this was also Audrey Hepburn's last film!

I like Mariel but she wasn't nearly as beautiful as Dorothy. Or busty. IIRC Mariel had to get implants in order to play the role.

duane
08-15-2012, 10:41 PM
He started taking the sister, Louise, on trips and spending money on her when she was just 12. Louise and her mother filed a lawsuit against Hugh Hefner when Louise was 15, after he alleged that Bogdanovich was having sex with her, but then they dropped the suit a few weeks later.
I remember an interview Louise and attorney Gloria Allred gave at the time. It was creepy. All ready it appeared that she had had cosmetic work done and was mimicking Dorothy.

I like Mariel but she wasn't nearly as beautiful as Dorothy. Or busty. IIRC Mariel had to get implants in order to play the role.
Yes she did. Still, she was definitely not the right choice to play Dorothy. Jamie Lee Curtis played Dorothy in the 1981 TV movie Death of a Centerfold. Another bad choice. Curtis had the body but not the face or naivety to play the gorgeous Stratten.