PDA

View Full Version : Harvard's "An Evening with Champions" annual benefit show ~ September 29-30, 2012

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

oakl0008
09-19-2012, 01:03 AM
I wonder why Shawn Sawyer pulled out of the latest lineup? :( Oh well... he seemed to perform well there last year.

lulu
09-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Looking forward to reading the reports. I would love to see Kimmie, Jeremy and of course, the Protopopovs skate.

snoopysnake
09-19-2012, 08:17 PM
I wonder why Shawn Sawyer pulled out of the latest lineup? :( Oh well... he seemed to perform well there last year.

Was he actually in this year's lineup at some point? Generally there are more skaters who don't appear in consecutive years, with the exception of the Protopopovs and skaters from the Boston area.

Back in the 80's, there were a lot more current reigning US medalists in this show, but that was before training for and competing in the Grand Prix took up so much of their fall schedule.

leapfrogonice
09-19-2012, 11:32 PM
This is one of the long-standing great benefit shows. It is probably difficult for them to get some of the US medalists because it coincides with some of the noteworthy Senior B events. This year same time as Nebelhorn. Finlandia is also the next week so perhaps some people do not want to be traveling so close to an event.

oakl0008
09-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Was he actually in this year's lineup at some point? Generally there are more skaters who don't appear in consecutive years, with the exception of the Protopopovs and skaters from the Boston area.

Back in the 80's, there were a lot more current reigning US medalists in this show, but that was before training for and competing in the Grand Prix took up so much of their fall schedule.

Hi snoopysnake. On the very first post of this thread, an early icenetwork article was quoted on this year's show with Sawyer listed a performer. So I was a bit suprised since he was out of competition since mid 2011, therefore wouldn't have any events of that sort to attend, and it looked like he was well recieved last year (although who wasn't for attending a charity event of this kind) unless I am mistaken. I do understand though that the lineup can change at any moment for any reason. And this years lineup looks good. :)

snoopysnake
09-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi snoopysnake. On the very first post of this thread, an early icenetwork article was quoted on this year's show with Sawyer listed a performer. So I was a bit suprised since he was out of competition since mid 2011, therefore wouldn't have any events of that sort to attend, and it looked like he was well recieved last year (although who wasn't for attending a charity event of this kind) unless I am mistaken. I do understand though that the lineup can change at any moment for any reason. And this years lineup looks good. :)

I remember one show where about six of the acts in the program book did not appear. (One of those was Rory Flack.) They hastily prepared an insert page on some of the substitutes. One was Rudy Galindo. This was between the breakup of Yamaguchi/Galindo in pairs and Rudy's win at Nationals. I was really impressed with his y-spin!

Last year was a very different crowd, as there were so many Yu-Na Kim fans who had come from long distances to see her! The shows sold out quickly and they delayed the entrance into the small venue, resulting in long lines outside the arena. Early arrivals could not come in to watch the rehearsals (which for me has always been a favorite feature of these shows.)

Shawn was indeed well-received last year and I'm sure will be again if he comes back to EWC in the future.

ioana
09-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Last year was a very different crowd, as there were so many Yu-Na Kim fans who had come from long distances to see her! The shows sold out quickly and they delayed the entrance into the small venue, resulting in long lines outside the arena. Early arrivals could not come in to watch the rehearsals (which for me has always been a favorite feature of these shows.)

It didn't help that it was fairly cold outside while we had to line up, great depression-style before we could get inside the arena. This was the first time I saw this sell-out-type turnout since I've been going to EWC, so the organizers must have been very happy. Both with the increased profile of the show and what I assume were increased ticket sales and revenue.

Theatregirl1122
09-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Can anyone who has been to the show give some idea of how cold it usually is?

literaryfreak
09-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Can anyone who has been to the show give some idea of how cold it usually is?

A sweatshirt or sweater has always been good enough for me, and I tend to always feel cold. I've never had to wear my coat or gloves inside, if that helps at all.

Although if you are walking to the arena from Harvard Square, it can get windy walking over the bridge and I've regretted in those moments not bringing a coat.

snoopysnake
09-22-2012, 11:01 PM
In my opinion the arena is fairly warm. The hockey glass will be up so that would keep the cold from the ice on the ice. I usually don't wear my coat or jacket inside, if I've worn one outside. Sometimes this show's been held in Indian Summer weather, sometimes it's been very chilly out. That's autumn in New England! This year's show is earlier in the year than it usually is.

Theatregirl1122
09-23-2012, 02:02 AM
Oh, the Hockey glass is going to be up? I'd have chosen different seats if I realized that, probably.

snoopysnake
09-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Oh, the Hockey glass is going to be up? I'd have chosen different seats if I realized that, probably.

I don't recall it not being up at any of these shows, and I attend nearly every year. I suppose taking it down and putting it back afterwards would be expensive and thus reducing the charity's revenue, and/or disruptive to the rink's use for hockey.

Tammi
09-23-2012, 04:18 PM
^^^ You're correct on both counts.

Theatregirl1122
09-23-2012, 05:21 PM
I don't recall it not being up at any of these shows, and I attend nearly every year. I suppose taking it down and putting it back afterwards would be expensive and thus reducing the charity's revenue, and/or disruptive to the rink's use for hockey.

I've never been before. I just didn't think of it.

ioana
09-24-2012, 03:45 PM
FWIW, I never found the hockey glass at Bright distracting. Depending on how many tickets they sell, you might be able to move away from the ice seats if it bothers you. I only saw the rink packed to the brim when YuNa was here last year. In the past, you were able to find a couple of empty seats and move there.

And, Bright is fairly warm for a rink. I skate there now for their FS sessions and even at 7 am when it's completely empty, I end up skating in a t-shirt by the end of the session. Think a light jacket or hoodie should be enough for the show, but it all depends on how easily you get cold, as well.