PDA

View Full Version : Facebook page calls for American-only hours at U.S. Costco

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

manhn
08-13-2012, 05:52 PM
I love this!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/08/12/bc-bellingham-costco-canadians.html

Many Canadians are taking advantage of the high Canadian dollar by shopping across the border — with cheap milk and gas being two of the big draws — but some Americans are fed up with the cross-border crowd.

Some Bellingham, Wa., residents started a Facebook page calling for American-only hours at the local Costco.

My name is manhn, and I am one of those rude Canadians.

I go to this specific Costco whenever I go to the US with my folks (as I don't have a membership). And I can attest that the lineups for gas is extremely long--not only because of the number of people, but a lot of Canadians will bring jerry cans to be filled with gas too (you're allowed two per vehicle).

And no doubt Canadians can be rude and pushy. Waiting hours at the border can test your patience. Also, we can only come down so often. So, we have to make sure we have everything and get everything until the next trip.

When I cross border shop, it's not a leisurely trek. It's a pursuit.

But I don't take up two parking spots. I am pretty sure I have seen more than 1 American commit that bit of treason.

Any other Americans living near the border that hate Canadians too? ;)

DarrellH
08-13-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't know why this would be a problem. Thank you for bringing your money down and pumping up the economy!

TheGirlCanSkate
08-13-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't know why this would be a problem. Thank you for bringing your money down and pumping up the economy!

Exactly!

Jayar
08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Any other Americans living near the border that hate Canadians too? ;)

We all do. :shuffle: I think it's the bad hair.

Habs
08-13-2012, 07:24 PM
We all do. :shuffle: I think it's the bad hair.

I resent this. I am properly tiffed at all times. :drama:

rfisher
08-13-2012, 07:42 PM
They can start as many FB pages as they want. I suspect Costco doesn't care who is paying them in US dollars. :lol:

overedge
08-13-2012, 07:52 PM
There are a lot of seasonal farm workers from Mexico and Central America in Bellingham every year. Would they get to shop during "American"-only hours?

Garden Kitty
08-13-2012, 08:00 PM

This. I'd expect the store would be doing some extra marketing to try to attract people from cross-border. If long lines are a problem, push the store to hire extra cashiers for peak hours so it's a more pleasant experience for everyone.

Cachoo
08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Why are so many of my countrymen idiots? I wish people like that would move to a deserted island somewhere and stop embarrassing us.

UMBS Go Blue
08-13-2012, 08:27 PM
I don't know why this would be a problem. Thank you for bringing your money down and pumping up the economy!EYS. I see even more business opportunities, like opening Canuckistani-friendly diners in Bellingham, eh? Serve up some poutine, sprinkled with barbequed moose meat and maple syrup. :P

PeterG
08-13-2012, 08:30 PM
First they go after the Canadians and next it will be mis-treatment of Mexicans. It all started at Costco. Mark my word.

overedge
08-13-2012, 08:58 PM
EYS. I see even more business opportunities, like opening Canuckistani-friendly diners in Bellingham, eh? Serve up some poutine, sprinkled with barbequed moose meat and maple syrup. :P

White Spot (big BC family-style restaurant chain) opened a location in Bellingham and it was a big failure. When we are in the US we are on a little vacation and we want to eat 'Murican food :P

manhn
08-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah, when I was a little one and crossing the border was a breeze, a family outing would consist of eating at the Sizzler!

genevieve
08-13-2012, 09:18 PM
That's rich - like people in Washington State don't toodle on down to Portland all the time to take advantage of the no-sales-tax state :lol:

Norlite
08-13-2012, 09:27 PM
The link is not working for me.