PDA

View Full Version : Facebook page calls for American-only hours at U.S. Costco

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Really
08-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Me too :glamor:

As a Canadian, the cross border shopping bothers me especially when people like my aunt are completely self-righteous about how much money they save. There's reasons that lots of groceries/fuel are more expensive here.Oh, c'mon, the real reason you're bothered is that you're too far away from the border to do the dash-across-the-border-to-shop-til-you-drop day. (so am I ;) )

The major reason given for things being more expensive here has to do with economies of scale -- and transportation, probably a large part of the expense is transportation, especially outside of that 100-mile band along the border.

rjblue
08-14-2012, 04:03 PM
My boss is also a part-time farmer. He buys all his fuel, feed, tractor parts, and most of his personal shopping across the border in the USA. He was complaining the other day about how hard it is to get people to support their local farmers, and I asked him what part of his farm was "local", the weather?

I do support local farmers but not ones who are a tax drag like him.

victoriajh
08-14-2012, 04:19 PM
I don't have a Costco card but the few times I have been to Costco in canada the lines are insane .....so is it not an issue regardless of the cross border shoppers? ;)

dbell1
08-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Blame Canada! Blame Canada... :lol:

Cachoo
08-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Blame Canada! Blame Canada... :lol:

What would Brian Boitano do? :P

Peter---when I first saw this I thought it would be someone from El Paso or other border city near Mexico as picking on Mexicans seems to be sport with some jerks.

overedge
08-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah, like Denny's...or IHOP...or Red Lobster -- y'know, those chains that already exist up here? Actually, there have been a few US-only restaurants we like, but it seems just about everything down there is also up here!

There's only a couple of Red Lobsters in the Vancouver area, and White Spot attracts a lot of customers who would otherwise go to something like Denny's or IHOP (if for no other reason than its food is 10,000x better than either of those).

znachki
08-14-2012, 07:43 PM
That's rich - like people in Washington State don't toodle on down to Portland all the time to take advantage of the no-sales-tax state :lol:

What! Why I've nev..:slinkaway yeah, I do it all the time.

Cracks me up that it's all of a sudden become a thing. If it wasn't for all of the Canadians coming down and doing their shopping, there wouldn't be any big stores like that in Bellingham! People have been doing it for years.

I don't know if it still happens, but there used to be bus excursions for shopping at the malls. Used to see four or five buses on Sat & Sun at the Tacoma Mall when I was younger.

made_in_canada
08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Oh, c'mon, the real reason you're bothered is that you're too far away from the border to do the dash-across-the-border-to-shop-til-you-drop day. (so am I ;) )

The major reason given for things being more expensive here has to do with economies of scale -- and transportation, probably a large part of the expense is transportation, especially outside of that 100-mile band along the border.

That's part of it. There's also a huge difference in taxes, which while nobody likes them do support a whole whack of important things that nobody wants to give up. There's also huge discrepancies in wages. My aunt who does the majority of her shopping across the border is the first to complain that her autistic son isn't paid enough at $20+ an hour for his grocery warehouse job. And yet she shops in the states where there's no way he'd get paid like that. I just don't think you can have it both ways.

skatingfan5
08-14-2012, 08:04 PM
There's also huge discrepancies in wages. My aunt who does the majority of her shopping across the border is the first to complain that her autistic son isn't paid enough at $20+ an hour for his grocery warehouse job. And yet she shops in the states where there's no way he'd get paid like that.:eek: I've been on a contract negotiating team for over a year now and we have been unable to get the university administration to admit that $12/hr is a ridiculously low wage for some of the teachers and assistant teachers in the laboratory pre-school -- who are required to have a bachelor's degree for their job classifications! :mad: :lynch:

made_in_canada
08-14-2012, 08:09 PM
:eek: I've been on a contract negotiating team for over a year now and we have been unable to get the university administration to admit that $12/hr is a ridiculously low wage for some of the teachers and assistant teachers in the laboratory pre-school -- who are required to have a bachelor's degree for their job classifications! :mad: :lynch:

Wow. I get paid more than that at my retail job. Our minimum wage is $10.25 an hour.

Habs
08-14-2012, 09:53 PM
I don't know if it still happens, but there used to be bus excursions for shopping at the malls. Used to see four or five buses on Sat & Sun at the Tacoma Mall when I was younger.

We see that in Alberta - busloads of people from B.C. and Saskatchewan shop here on weekends. 'Tis the price of not having provincial sales tax.

mrr50
08-14-2012, 10:03 PM
This is one of the funniest things I've read in a very long time. OMG:rofl:

skatingfan5
08-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Wow. I get paid more than that at my retail job. Our minimum wage is $10.25 an hour.Minimum wage here in Illinois is $8.25/hr ($17,160/yr.). There was a bill proposed this spring to raise it by $.50 + inflation each year up to $10.55/hr (by 2016), but it didn't pass. (Many local business owners said they couldn't afford to pay $10/hr.). The lowest salary on the pay scale for our group of job classifications is around $11.90/hr., but the university administration is currently saying that even that is too high. And yet, they are able to give a disgraced employee (asst. to the president) a $175,000 severance package. :mad:

Artemis@BC
08-14-2012, 11:03 PM
There's only a couple of Red Lobsters in the Vancouver area, and White Spot attracts a lot of customers who would otherwise go to something like Denny's or IHOP (if for no other reason than its food is 10,000x better than either of those).

OT but ... did you know that tomorrow (Wed. the 15th) is Pirate Pak Day at White Spot? When anyone can get a Pirate Pack, not just kids?!? Plus they're donating $2 from every Pirate Pack to charity.

I'm sorely tempted to go, for purely nostalgic reasons.

Reuven
08-14-2012, 11:42 PM
There's only a couple of Red Lobsters in the Vancouver area, and White Spot attracts a lot of customers who would otherwise go to something like Denny's or IHOP (if for no other reason than its food is 10,000x better than either of those).On a side note, I found it ironic that Red Lobster couldn’t make a go of it here in Portland....Maine.