PDA

View Full Version : Facebook page calls for American-only hours at U.S. Costco

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

numbers123
08-13-2012, 09:32 PM
I know that I am not a financial wizard or anything, but isn't the point to stimulate an economy is to import more? Wouldn't this be an import of sorts? Dollars from another country being spent here? :confused:

manhn
08-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Fixed the link. Should work now.

numbers123
08-13-2012, 09:34 PM
The link is not working for me.

Fixed the link. Should work now.

:rofl: I was going to tell Norlite it was because she was Canadian and could only access the article on certain times of the day.

FunnyBut
08-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Any other Americans living near the border that hate Canadians too? ;)

Not Canadians in general, only Jamie Sale and poutine. And that hatred isn't only limited to Americans 'living near the border'.

Norlite
08-13-2012, 09:39 PM
:rofl: I was going to tell Norlite it was because she was Canadian and could only access the article on certain times of the day.

The link is from the CBC, not NBC.

;)

liv
08-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Yay! We're finally moving up in the world! We're finally being called rude! I thought I'd never see the day...:)

MacMadame
08-13-2012, 09:42 PM
We all do. :shuffle: I think it's the bad hair.

No, it's the knitting.

;)

Reuven
08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Yeah, all them mittens, and the standing Os at the register...

made_in_canada
08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I resent this. I am properly tiffed at all times. :drama:

Me too :glamor:

As a Canadian, the cross border shopping bothers me especially when people like my aunt are completely self-righteous about how much money they save. There's reasons that lots of groceries/fuel are more expensive here.

Artemis@BC
08-13-2012, 11:33 PM
White Spot (big BC family-style restaurant chain) opened a location in Bellingham and it was a big failure. When we are in the US we are on a little vacation and we want to eat 'Murican food :P

I got the feeling, though, that they were trying to expand their empire into the US more than trying to cater to cross-border-shopping Vancouverites. Whatever the reason, though, I think their epic failure might have had more to do with the fact that they were located next to a Jack-in-the-Box. :P

I only go to White Spot for their milkshakes ... but there's no need for White Spot milkshakes in B'ham when they have Boomers!

One small band of rabid twits on Facebook doesn't turn me off from visiting Bellingham. I've always found it a charming little city, and the people there have never been anything but friendly.

But then again I don't shop Costco on either side of the border.

Japanfan
08-14-2012, 07:04 AM
The issue appears to be that the store and gas station can't expand to accommodate the Canadian traffic.

Since I hate big box stores and crowds and line-ups, I understand how the locals feel.

vesperholly
08-14-2012, 09:20 AM
To shop at Costco, this rude American living near the border would have to go to Canada :lol: The nearest American Costcos are 4+ hours away, but St. Catharines is only 25min.

Rob
08-14-2012, 02:23 PM
I don't know why this would be a problem. Thank you for bringing your money down and pumping up the economy!

Exactly. Plus I have no sympathy. The lines are really long here because a lot of people live here.

Makes up for the pharmacy line when the buses of seniors used to go to Canada to refill prescriptions. Do they still do that?

Skittl1321
08-14-2012, 02:42 PM
The issue appears to be that the store and gas station can't expand to accommodate the Canadian traffic.

Since I hate big box stores and crowds and line-ups, I understand how the locals feel.

But if you hate big box stores, you wouldn't be at Costco anyway.
I don't like crowds, so I don't go to crowded places. Which means I rarely go to Walmart or Costco. If these people feel it is too crowded, they should shop and get their gas elsewhere.

I think it is ridiculous for Americans to suggest turning away foreign money in this economy!

Really
08-14-2012, 02:46 PM
This. I'd expect the store would be doing some extra marketing to try to attract people from cross-border. If long lines are a problem, push the store to hire extra cashiers for peak hours so it's a more pleasant experience for everyone.The article I read said that Costco would love to expand their location (parking, gas bays) but are being prevented from doing so by local government.

White Spot (big BC family-style restaurant chain) opened a location in Bellingham and it was a big failure. When we are in the US we are on a little vacation and we want to eat 'Murican food :PYeah, like Denny's...or IHOP...or Red Lobster -- y'know, those chains that already exist up here? Actually, there have been a few US-only restaurants we like, but it seems just about everything down there is also up here!

That's rich - like people in Washington State don't toodle on down to Portland all the time to take advantage of the no-sales-tax state :lol:LOVE going to Portland (actually, the factory stores at Woodburn) to shop! When the Canuck Buck is on the right side of par, it's very worth our while to shop there!

We all do. :shuffle: I think it's the bad hair.Now, now, Jayar, you know you LOVE my perm!