PDA

View Full Version : Going to Hawaii

Pages : [1] 2

Marney0612
08-13-2012, 01:33 PM
My husband and I are going to Hawaii. We are staying in Maui but plan to take a trip to Oahu. Does anyone have any suggestions for our trip?

milanessa
08-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Ooooh - have a wonderful time. There are some people on the board that have (and do) live in Hawaii so I'm sure you'll get some good info.

cruisin
08-13-2012, 05:34 PM
I've been there (Maui) 3 times. Once was our honeymoon, the other two times it was for conventions. We stayed in Kaanapali on our honeymoon, it was nice. For the conventions we stayed at the Grand Wailea - amazing! But, we would not have stayed there if we were going on our own - $$$! Lahaina is an old fishing village, just south of Kaanapali, most of the shops are touristy, but there are some wonderful art galleries and restaurants. You should drive to Hana, the road is amazing, and go to 7 Pools. 7 Pools are 7 waterfalls with small pools, that step, pouring into each other, down a hill/mountain(?), ending at a rocky coastline. You should go to the lavender farm. It's beautiful! and they have some wonderful products you can buy there. Also go to the lava fields, it's like seeing the earth in prehistoric times. Warning, do not remove/move any lava rocks. There are legends of horrific misfortune happening to people who have done so. Even the least superstitions people, I know, believe this.

Have a wonderful time! Look for rainbows! Food tends to be a bit pricey, but I never had a poor meal. The local fish - outstanding!

heckles
08-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for our trip?

Yes, be sure to return and brag that your resort "was away from all the tourists". For bonus points, wrinkle your nose when saying "tourists".

Seriously though, go to the Maui upland farms (http://www.gohawaii.com/maui/guidebook/topics/farm-to-table)and eat at the farm-to-table restaurants.

milanessa
08-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Yes, be sure to return and brag that your resort "was away from all the tourists". For bonus points, wrinkle your nose when saying "tourists".

:rofl:

Patsy
08-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Where will you be staying, when, how long will you be there, and what are you interested in?

jl22aries
08-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Near the lavender farms is a goat farm too. DELICIOUS fresh cheeses!

Haleakala is a must see, and if you can bear it, drive up at 3am ish so you can make it for the sunrise.

genevieve
08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
I love Maui! The Road to Hana is a must, Haleakala is a must, a snorkel tour is a must. I second the 7 Pools - and the black sand beaches! Last time I went we also did the drive around the other side of the island - it's NOT a must because it's effing scary :scary: Glad we did it, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Both times I've been to Maui, I stayed in a home with a kitchen. We chose to buy groceries and cook our own meals, other than one night out for dinner - food is $$$$! on the island! I remember eating at Mama's Fish House (http://mamasfishhouse.com/), and it was amazing. The other trip we ate somewhere in Lahaina and it was fine but not memorable. Lahaina is kinda gross ("tourists" she said, while wrinkling her nose).

cruisin
08-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Haleakala is a must see, and if you can bear it, drive up at 3am ish so you can make it for the sunrise.

YES! I forgot about that. That is an absolute must. The ride up is incredible. The temperature change, the foliage change, and the wildlife (mostly birds) from the bottom to the top is startling. You have to see it at sunrise. you can always nap on the beach, later :).

nursebetty
08-13-2012, 09:46 PM
I loved, loved, loved Maui. Take a dramamine if you have motion sickness on the road to Hana. I felt so bad on the way back, luckily I made it without a problem and was able to enjoy the 7 pools. Not brave enough to dive off. Wish I had done the bike ride back down the mountain (Haleakala). I think my favorite thing was a sail boat ride from Lahaina. Have fun.

KCC
08-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Both times I've been to Maui, I stayed in a home with a kitchen. We chose to buy groceries and cook our own meals, other than one night out for dinner - food is $$$$! on the island! I remember eating at Mama's Fish House (http://mamasfishhouse.com/), and it was amazing. The other trip we ate somewhere in Lahaina and it was fine but not memorable. Lahaina is kinda gross ("tourists" she said, while wrinkling her nose).

Agree that Mama's is fabulous -- look them up online and see their pearl dessert. We stayed in Kapalua, which because it was spread out, we barely saw anyone at all. Rented a condo so that we could eat most meals in -- we always do that. Food there is expensive even at the grocery. Using something like "vacation rentals by owner" will allow you to see the exact condo, as opposed to getting one through a pre packaged vacation. Nice snorkeling at the Kapalua beaches. You will need a car to go to Lahaina, etc., and gas prices are high. We went in February and saw about 100 whales. If you dunk under water and hold your breath, you can hear them sing. A highlight for me.

Have fun!!

cruisin
08-14-2012, 12:24 AM
One more suggestion, are you locked in to going to Oahu? I would opt for Kauai or the Big Island. Oahu is very, very commercial.

milanessa
08-14-2012, 12:43 AM
One more suggestion, are you locked in to going to Oahu? I would opt for Kauai or the Big Island. Oahu is very, very commercial.

:lol:

cruisin
08-14-2012, 03:29 AM
:lol:

:confused:

Matryeshka
08-14-2012, 04:03 AM
I have no advice. I'm just popping in to say, have a good time. And I hate you. I hate you so much.