PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon a Time S2: The Magic Returns

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

HeatherC
12-03-2012, 01:51 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVED IT!!! :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer:

AshleyN
12-03-2012, 02:27 AM
Great episode - it answered most of the questions fans have been asking during the season and delivered a really satisfying conclusion to the Enchanted Forest arc. My only real problem was that Emma lasting 30 seconds in a swordfight with a centuries-old pirate is absurd, let alone beating him. I'll just fanwank that he was going easy on her because he has a thing for her and had another way to Storybrook though.

Speaking of said pirate, is it me or is the V-neck on his shirt getting lower every episode? Obviously I'm not complaining about this.

I think this is the first time they've actually succeeded in making me sympathize with Regina and buy her redemption arc. I legit felt bad for her at the end there.

I think snarky Emma is my favourite Emma - "Isn't that what a spellbook is? A book with spells written in it?":lol:

You know, I'm generally not one for slash pairings (and often miss homoerotic subtext altogether), but I seriously thought that Mulan and Aurora were going to kiss in the scene where Mulan returns her heart. Honestly, I'd find that more interesting than them competing for Philip.

Skittl1321
12-03-2012, 02:35 AM
So, Hook can't pull out hearts- he can only pull out one? And since he didn't pull out Cora's he was able to get Aurora's?

CDANN1013
12-03-2012, 03:17 AM
You know, I'm really not one to look for or get behind slash pairings (and often miss homoerotic subtext altogether), but I seriously thought that Mulan and Aurora were going to kiss in the scene where Mulan returns her heart. Honestly, I think I'd find that more interesting than them competing for Philip.

I thought the same thing. Loved the episode. I think Hook is up to something.

Carol

manhn
12-03-2012, 03:34 AM
I called it! After the premier:

Wow, Mulan and Sleeping Beauty have so much chemistry!

This better happen.

Nan
12-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I loved the episode, I think it covered a lot of ground and moved the plot along a great deal. I am a little put off by Regina's treatment by Henry and the crew at the end. If they keep rejecting her and her attempts to "do better," they are giving her cause (in her mind) to be evil. Maybe not a good idea.

Wyliefan
12-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Personally, I'm a little put off that we're expected to throw a pity party for Regina. Have we forgotten that she's a ruthless murderer? A few "Mommy did terrible things to me" moments, and we're all supposed to flock to her side and give her a pass for all of it.

I'm all for redemption, but the way they're handling it, it feels manipulative and shallow. Like "cheap grace," to borrow a phrase.

AshleyN
12-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Personally, I'm a little put off that we're expected to throw a pity party for Regina. Have we forgotten that she's a ruthless murderer? A few "Mommy did terrible things to me" moments, and we're all supposed to flock to her side and give her a pass for all of it.

I'm all for redemption, but the way they're handling it, it feels manipulative and shallow. Like "cheap grace," to borrow a phrase.Not to mention that she spent like thirty years raping Graham, something that I think has been way too easily forgotten by both the show and the fans.

But yeah, I get what you're saying. I spent the whole beginning of the season complaining that they were pushing the Regina redemption too hard and too fast. Like I said, last night was the first time that I actually bought it and felt any sympathy for her, mostly I think because Lana Parilla sold it so hard at the end.

That being said, I really don't get the complaint that the Charmings were somehow being unfair or cruel to her by not inviting her along for dinner. They've just been reunited and want to have some time to celebrate together - why the hell would they want the woman who destroyed their lives along for the ride? And it's not like they didn't give her any acknowledgement - Emma's thanks seemed pretty sincere, and that line about her mother made it seem like she's gained at least little understanding of where Regina came from. And it's not like Henry was rejecting her there: he thanked her, gave her credit for doing the right thing and promised to see her again. He just wanted to spend some time with with his mother and grandmother who had been trapped in another world with no guarantee that they'd return. I think that's about right at this point and any more would have seemed forced, especially given that her big gesture basically amounted to deciding not to kill them.

ArtisticFan
12-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Not to mention that she spent like thirty years raping Graham, something that I think has been way too easily forgotten by both the show and the fans.

But yeah, I get what you're saying. I spent the whole beginning of the season complaining that they were pushing the Regina redemption too hard and too fast. Like I said, last night was the first time that I actually bought it and felt any sympathy for her, mostly I think because Lana Parilla sold it so hard at the end.

That being said, I really don't get the complaint that the Charmings were somehow being unfair or cruel to her by not inviting her along for dinner. They've just been reunited and want to have some time to celebrate together - why the hell would they want the woman who destroyed their lives along for the ride? And it's not like they didn't give her any acknowledgement - Emma's thanks seemed pretty sincere, and that line about her mother made it seem like she's gained at least little understanding of where Regina came from. And it's not like Henry was rejecting her there: he thanked her, gave her credit for doing the right thing and promised to see her again. He just wanted to spend some time with with his mother and grandmother who had been trapped in another world with no guarantee that they'd return. I think that's about right at this point and any more would have seemed forced, especially given that her big gesture basically amounted to deciding not to kill them.

I agree. Regina was showing no signs of remorse at the idea of killing Snow and Emma as a by product of making sure that Cora remained away from Storybrooke. So I see her gesture at allowing them re-entry as more of a sign of her resignation that Henry does see them as his family and not that she was making great strides toward normalcy. Had The test to me is what would Regina have done had Henry not gone to the well. She would have allowed them to be killed by the curse. That's not the action of a redeemed woman yet.

I would not want to break bread with a woman who had tried for years to have me removed from the earth (Snow) or who had acquired my biological son through a shady someone like Mr. Gold/Rumple. Not to mention the fact that Charming and Snow were denied the opportunity to watch their daughter grow up because of Regina's obsession with revenge and separated for one another.

The trust level would not be there.

Nan
12-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I certainly didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest! Please note the use of the word "little" in my post above. ;)

I do think that if Regina is going to pull off a real redemption, she is going to have to have a lot of positive reinforcement.

AshleyN
12-03-2012, 06:23 PM
I certainly didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest! Please note the use of the word "little" in my post above. ;)Oh, I don't think you did.:D

And honestly, my reply wasn't directed at you so much as it was based on my frustration with some of the general reaction I've seen around the Internet. I swear, Regina apologists are my biggest obstacle toward actually rooting for a redemption for her. You wouldn't believe the amount of things I've read basically implying that she was just a victim of those self-rightious Charming bullies last night. They also seem to think that because of her mother and Rumple she bears basically no responsibilty for any of the awful things she chose to do in the past. It's really annoying.

To change the subject: am I the only one who'd really like to see the fairies (particularly the Blue Fairy) be more involved this season? It'd be nice to have a real magical presence on the "good" side* to offset Regina/Rumple/Cora, who are all, at best, wavering in and out of the villian camp . I know there was that whole business with how they couldn't do anything without fairy dust, but even when they found some we never got any indication of what they planned to do with it. I'm hoping they managed to get some out of the mines before Rumple took what was there so they're not neutralized again. If nothing else, I think the Blue Fairy would be the best option for Emma to talk to regarding her newfound magical abilities.

*I know some people (myself included) suspect that there could be more to the Blue Fairy than she lets on and that her motives aren't entirely altruistic, but on the surface level at least they've generally been on the side of Our Heroes.

Wyliefan
12-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I certainly didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest!

Oh, I don't think you did. :) I didn't mean that you were the one trying to get us to forget everything Regina's ever done and simply pity her. I meant that it feels like the show is trying to. And that's what I don't care for.

And honestly, my reply wasn't directed at you so much as it was based on my frustration with some of the general reaction I've seen around the Internet. I swear, Regina apologists are my biggest obstacle toward actually rooting for a redemption for her. You wouldn't believe the amount of things I've read basically implying that she was just a victim of those self-rightious Charming bullies last night. They also seem to think that because of her mother and Rumple she bears basically no responsibilty for any of the awful things she chose to do in the past. It's really annoying.

Exactly.

HeatherC
12-04-2012, 04:24 AM
OMG, I love you guys so much for saying a lot of what I wanted to say last night but ended up getting way too distracted by trying to watch Revenge and 666 Park Avenue after the awesomeness of OUAT...my brain was totally fried and useless by 11 PM, LOL :lol:

Adding to some things all ready mentioned....I also cannot BELIEVE how many people hate the Charmings right now for not inviting Regina to dinner. On what planet does that even make sense?! She's done nothing but hurt that family for a long time and even more, she's the reason they've been separated for so many years (and the reason Snow & Emma disappeared in the first place since they were trying to save Regina from the wraith at the time). I'll admit that part of me felt bad for her when Henry left her behind but he did everything right in my book after the events of the episode. Regina is trying to change so she doesn't lose Henry but one or two good deeds doesn't undo everything she's done in the past. It's not going to be an easy road if she truly wants to redeem herself and I don't think the Charmings did a single thing wrong on their end. It's amazing how people forget all the previous stuff that happened when they're caught up in one random emotional moment. This is one of the reasons I try not to get too invested in one character on a show...sometimes it screws up your head and you stop seeing the big picture. Dang, this is still driving me nuts 24 hours later! :eek: Emma herself thanked Regina for saving them and that was definitely a genuine thank you from her, Henry acknowledged what she did and showed affection for her, and no one kicked her out or was snotty to her or anything in Gold's shop. Regina knew the consequences of enacting that curse and now she's paying the price for it. Some OUAT fans are really freaking me out lately with their insanity for characters that have done such evil things. :yikes:

BTW-Don't listen to the official OUAT podcast this week if you guys ever do that. I usually enjoy them but this week's was totally worthless in my mind. It's all about all the villains and drumming up the sympathy for them. The Charmings, the awesome reunion, and many of the other non villain things from the episode aren't even mentioned by them (they barely even talked about Emma's new found magic which I thought was awesome). I was really disappointed in their podcast for the first time all season. Usually they're great but this one let me down. :(

I'm excited that Cora & Hook are on their way to Storybrooke! I love having villains that I love to hate and Cora is definitely one of those so I'm curious what kind of trouble she and Hook get into once they get into town. It should be entertaining! :D

I'm still loving the fact that Cora can't rip out Emma's heart. That is BEYOND badass for Emma to realize that she might just have some pretty powerful magic locked away inside her and I hope she starts figuring out how to use that so she can help protect her family. She hasn't had much of anything in her life up to this point but I think this next part of the season will be more about her really understanding and figuring out her purpose in this world which should be awesome. :biggrinbo

And I LOVE Snarky Emma: "Isn't that what a spell book is? A book that has spells in it??!" :lol:

Anyone else blush a little during Hook's lines and actions when he had Emma pinned on her back during their sword fight??! Holy cow, how did they get away with that during an 8 PM show?! Love that it lead to her clocking him with the compass too, LOL :lol: :eek:

I loved this episode so much that I'm re-watching it right now and this is my third viewing of it...I may need therapy, LOL :P

manhn
12-04-2012, 04:40 AM
The OTP sympathy for Regina (and it's not like I didn't feel bad for her last night--I did, but please) is just another example of TV audiences' tiring devotion to anti-hero characters. Man, I dislike anti-heroes--sure, they're a bitch/asshole, but they're snarky! hot! misunderstood! Oh, the complexity of it all. Yawn.

And then viewers trash "nice" characters for being Mary Sues or Gary Stus but when those Mary's and Gary's do something that is not "nice", then they're trashed again for not being "nice."

AshleyN
12-04-2012, 04:44 AM
Anyone else blush a little during Hook's lines and actions when he had Emma pinned on her back during their sword fight??! Holy cow, how did they get away with that during an 8 PM show?! Love that it lead to her clocking him with the compass too, LOL :lol: :eek: I was a little surprised at just how much innuendo was happening there, but I probably shouldn't have been - it's not like I haven't seen way worse.

But yeah: he could jab me with his sword anyday.:grope: