PDA

View Full Version : Wedding music suggestions!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

PDilemma
08-09-2012, 12:50 AM
A had a musical director once who was asked to sing "I Don't Know How To Love Him" at a friend's wedding. His response was "I am not singing the words 'I've had so many men before in very many ways. He's just one more.' at your wedding."

My mom had to accompany my aunt singing that song at their cousin's wedding. So I did see that. I was only five, though, so it didn't mean anything to me at the time.

They tried everything they knew to talk her out of that song and she would not listen. So my aunt had to sing that line in a church at a wedding.

In a completely different sort of wedding song disaster, my brother was in a wedding where the song "Longer Than" was sung and the vocalist screwed up the lyrics and sang "longer than any fish ever flew" resulting in the groomsmen nearly bursting out laughing at the altar.

Aussie Willy
08-09-2012, 03:51 AM
I would have Kiss "I was made for loving you" and Billy Idol "White Wedding".

And to get people dancing play Nutbush, Bus Stop and Time Warp.

Twizzler
08-09-2012, 03:54 AM
I would have Kiss "I was made for loving you" and Billy Idol "White Wedding".

And to get people dancing play Nutbush, Bus Stop and Time Warp.

Time Warp!!! :respec:

nubka
08-09-2012, 05:52 AM
White Wedding/Billy Idol - :D

paskatefan
08-09-2012, 10:57 AM
One of my little cousins (she was about 6 at the time), suggested we use Jethro Tull's "Bungle in the Jungle." :lol: Now I like Tull music and that song, but there's no way we would have used it in our wedding. I laughed my head off @ the suggestion, but not in front of her (didn't want to hurt her feelings).

As for the reception - Motown from the 1960's? :) :D Fun, danceable music

Clarice
08-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Remember that people have to consider what their pianist or organist can play when choosing ceremony music. We had to make a change because our pianist could not play something well.

This! This cannot be said too many times! If you have no idea what music to use at your ceremony, ask the musicians for suggestions. They will know what they can perform well, and especially if you hired professionals, they will have a repertoire of things they have used before that they know will work.

I am playing for a wedding on Saturday. They want a woodwind trio, and they want a particular song, which is not published in an arrangement for woodwind trio. We cobbled something together from the piano arrangement, but it will not sound nearly as good as if they had let us play something from our own repertoire.

I am currently planning my daughter's wedding. We are hiring a good organist, and her brother, who is a violinist (and a professional orchestra director), will play. They will choose the music, maybe giving the bride a few options to choose between.

As far as the party goes, do what will be fun for you and your guests! We're going to have oldies and the "cheesy" stuff near the beginning, but the bride and groom want techno during the last hour for themselves and their friends. I figure the grandparents will have left by then anyway!

Matryeshka
08-09-2012, 06:55 PM
That one, "to the left, to the left, to the left, to the left, to the right" etc is always a good one to get people up and dancing. ANYONE can do it. And no, I have no idea what it's called. The hip 20somethings will know, but I am not one of those!

If everyone could do it, it was probably The Cupid Shuffle. Cha-Cha Slide has the same lyric, but it's older and not as easy as Cupid.

cruisin
08-10-2012, 12:23 AM
If you don't like the Electric Slide, there is always the Conga Line :lol:

I agree with the poster who recommended playing from different eras. I would say 75% up beat and danceable. Save the quieter stuff for eating times.

Our first dance was to "As Time Goes By".

Twizzler, love "Time Warp"!

LilJen
08-10-2012, 12:50 AM
That's the Cha Cha Slide.

The teachers have to do it at every pep rally. :shuffle:

No, the one I'm thinking of is (thank you, Google and YouTube) the Cupid Shuffle: to the left, to the left, to the left, to the left, to the left etc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAhXfcm_v40) (start at 1:20ish)

minuet
08-10-2012, 01:15 AM
I heard that song in the last wedding I attended. The first time I ever heard it. I didn't get it at all.

What about Glee songs? The kids will know it because it's Glee and they cover songs from a broad demographic.

We had a lot of Glee in our wedding and it really did appeal to a broad range of people.

We used Safety Dance for the group bridal party dance and Faithfully and Don't Stop Believing as the leaving songs, everyone sang along which was cool.

I concur with the person who said Jesu Joy does not work for a processional. We used it for signing of the register.

skatemomaz
08-10-2012, 01:41 AM
At my niece's wedding, the song that got everybody on the dance floor was Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline"

nubka
08-10-2012, 03:29 AM
If you don't like the Electric Slide, there is always the Conga Line :lol:

I agree with the poster who recommended playing from different eras. I would say 75% up beat and danceable. Save the quieter stuff for eating times.

Our first dance was to "As Time Goes By".

Twizzler, love "Time Warp"!

Or the Bunny Hop! :D

elka_sk8
08-10-2012, 11:13 AM
I love Glee (and I know a lot of our guests do) so that's a good idea! White Wedding too.

We're considering "You Make My Dreams Come True" by Hall and Oates for our first dance, but I'm not sure we can pull it off! :lol: Fiance is signing us up for dance lessons. The other one we like is "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys, but our ultimate no-coordination-required backup is "Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones.

Ah yes, the Cha-Cha slide is the other line dancing song I can't stand. But everyone else seems to, so as long as they don't drag me out there.... :rofl:

cruisin
08-10-2012, 02:06 PM
^^ Trust me, they will drag yo out there:lol:. And, trust me again, you will have a ball! It's those silly things, that everyone "grudgingly" takes part in that are so fun!

Theatregirl1122
08-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Should I ever wed, there will be no cha cha slide or cupid shuffle! I refuse to dance to songs that tell me what to do. Shout? Sure. Macarena? Obviously. Cotton Eyed Joe? With my group, you have no choice. But not the cha cha slide or cupid shuffle.

At my sister's wedding, her husband specifically forbade the DJ to play any of those songs. Didn't work. There was a solid half an hour where it seemed like the DJ was totally just playing his "irritating songs for weddings" mix.

I agree with everyone who said to try to get and idea of the types of things you like and then let the DJ take it from there. They'll have good experience on what people do and don't seem to dance to.