PDA

View Full Version : Wedding music suggestions!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

manhn
08-08-2012, 09:19 PM
I heard that song in the last wedding I attended. The first time I ever heard it. I didn't get it at all.

What about Glee songs? The kids will know it because it's Glee and they cover songs from a broad demographic.

Habs
08-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Well there are those to avoid: Pachelbel Canon is definitely not something you want to use.

:rolleyes: I don't understand this. It's a beautiful piece of music.

If you love it, use it. I don't know why people get so wound up about using something someone else has used.

Exactly. I agree. Mr. Habs and I used Pachelbel's Canon at our wedding because we love it. The pianist we hired to play at our ceremony did an amazing job with it.
Just because other people have used it doesn't mean you should avoid it.

IceAlisa
08-08-2012, 09:37 PM
That one, "to the left, to the left, to the left, to the left, to the right" etc is always a good one to get people up and dancing. ANYONE can do it. And no, I have no idea what it's called. The hip 20somethings will know, but I am not one of those!

The last two bar-mitzvahs I've attended had this song. Everyone did it--it's the Macarena of the 21st century. :P

PrincessLeppard
08-08-2012, 09:49 PM
That one, "to the left, to the left, to the left, to the left, to the right" etc is always a good one to get people up and dancing. ANYONE can do it. And no, I have no idea what it's called. The hip 20somethings will know, but I am not one of those!

That's the Cha Cha Slide.

The teachers have to do it at every pep rally. :shuffle:

millyskate
08-08-2012, 09:53 PM
:rolleyes: I don't understand this. It's a beautiful piece of music.

Exactly. I agree. Mr. Habs and I used Pachelbel's Canon at our wedding because we love it. The pianist we hired to play at our ceremony did an amazing job with it.
Just because other people have used it doesn't mean you should avoid it.

In the music world, it's rated about as highly as Plushenko's choreography is in the skating world.

Having said that - I must admit I love many of Plushenko's programs and find them way more entertaining/watchable than many of the "skater's skater" programs. So I'm nobody to claim that Pachelbel's canon should not be used, point taken.

michiruwater
08-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Actually, we have yet to pick those too! :lol: so suggestions would be welcome, I love pachabel canon but everyone seems to be using that these days.

Okay, you may not have heard of this, but an absolutely beautiful choice for the wedding march is 'O Magnum Mysterium' by Lauridsen. It is just absolutely wonderful music that is rarely used for this sort of setting. I don't know if you're the bride or groom, but the doors opening for the bride at the climactic moment would be breathtaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKGBuwISjCg (climax at 3:53)

Edit: Another really beautiful piece of instrumental music is Forever Love On Piano (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbnwnRthC3I&feature=watch_response), based on the song Forever Love by X Japan. It's super gorgeous and I can guarantee you that no one you know will have heard of it :lol: I have the mp3 if you'd like it.

Another really lovely one is Dusk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPzHGdZO0Pk) by Steven Bryant.

Habs
08-08-2012, 10:17 PM
In the music world, it's rated about as highly as Plushenko's choreography is in the skating world.

That shouldn't matter... wedding music is very personal choice. :)

suep1963
08-08-2012, 10:17 PM
This is a figure skating board--first thing we learn here is there is no such thing as overused music! ;) And if you love it, use it--it's your day. :)

At my niece's wedding, Twist got everyone up and going. But I agree with whoever said it up thread--get a short list of what you absolutely want/don't want, and let the DJ do the rest. And let him know the age range too.

PDilemma
08-08-2012, 10:21 PM

Having said that - I must admit I love many of Plushenko's programs and find them way more entertaining/watchable than many of the "skater's skater" programs. So I'm nobody to claim that Pachelbel's canon should not be used, point taken.

My best friend has a degree in piano performance and piano pedagogy and has never complained about Pachelbel. She even used it in her own wedding. Now, if you ask her to play "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" for a wedding processional, on the other hand, she will have to restrain herself from slapping you. She doesn't think it is a bad piece of music, either. Her objection is that it doesn't work well for people to walk to. Having walked to it in three weddings, I don't disagree.

Remember that people have to consider what their pianist or organist can play when choosing ceremony music. We had to make a change because our pianist could not play something well. (My best friend was in the wedding party rather than playing).

Dave of the North
08-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Many years ago I knew someone from the Deep South who was an organist - played at a lot of weddings - he told me he gotten requests for "What Kind of Fool Am I" and "D-V-O-R-C-E" to be played at weddings...

Don't pick those songs...:P

Habs
08-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Many years ago I knew someone from the Deep South who was an organist - played at a lot of weddings - he told me he gotten requests for "What Kind of Fool Am I" and "D-V-O-R-C-E" to be played at weddings...

I may have requested "Golddigger" at my brother's best friend's wedding. :shuffle:
He's a doctor who married a truly miserable woman who quit her job as soon as they got engaged (5 months after meeting)....

PDilemma
08-08-2012, 10:46 PM

Yep. And don't do your first dance to the Police's "Every Breath You Take", please. No stalker songs. Or U2's "One". Unless you truly believe that nothing says happily ever after more than the line "Did you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?"

Listen to the lyrics before you choose, people! :lol:

michiruwater
08-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Yes, similarly, PLEASE, everyone, do not use the Bridal Chorus by Wagner ("Here Comes The Bride"). For one thing, in the opera it comes from ("Lohengrin"), it actually is a piece of music that takes place after the wedding (the processional music in Lohengrin is actually the much more beautiful 'Elsa's Procession To The Cathedral'). In addition, Lohengrin is a tragedy, and the bride dies at the end :shuffle:

Theatregirl1122
08-09-2012, 12:25 AM

A had a musical director once who was asked to sing "I Don't Know How To Love Him" at a friend's wedding. His response was "I am not singing the words 'I've had so many men before in very many ways. He's just one more.' at your wedding."

Alixana
08-09-2012, 12:46 AM
A had a musical director once who was asked to sing "I Don't Know How To Love Him" at a friend's wedding. His response was "I am not singing the words 'I've had so many men before in very many ways. He's just one more.' at your wedding."

:lol: Now THAT I'd like to see! :lol: