PDA

View Full Version : Sophie Moniotte and Pascal Lavanchy

Pages : 1 [2]

Aussie Willy
08-11-2012, 05:22 AM
An ice dancer friend of mine thought Pascal had the best feet of all the male ice dancers.

At the 98 Olympics, M&L didn't have a very good Golden Waltz. So that put then down in the standings too.

Susan M
08-14-2012, 02:37 AM
IIRC, my opinion at the time was that Moniotte/Lavanchy were overrated in the years of their best results. Maybe it was because the quality and depth of ice dance just before then (early 90s) had been so extraordinary, but the notion of them as the second or third best team in the world always seemed really dubious to me.

It was pretty clear even back then that Anissina/Peizerat clearly had that "it" factor and needed time to fully gel, while Moniotte/Lavanchy probably hit their peak prior to Nagano, so it was smart for the French Fed to back Anissina/Peizerat over Moniotte/Lavanchy
Under 6.0/ordinals scoring, it was really important to be your own country's #1 skater. Especially in ice dance, some (many, most?) judges would follow the lead of a country's national judges in rank ordering that country's skaters. If France said A/P was their top team over M/L, then that's the order the other judges would put them, unless what happened on the ice made that totally laughable. (At least, this is the explanation given me why Bestamianova/Bukin kept winning over Klimova/Ponomarenko even after it was pretty obvious the latter was better.)

I also have a vague recollection (and this may be incorrect) that Moniotte was already whining about skating politics even before the 98 Olympics. The establishment (including its judges) were not kind to skaters who made waves, so that may have been part of the explanation. I remember being really surprised a year or two later that there seemed to be no repercussions for Denkova after her petition initiative.

jlai
08-14-2012, 03:37 AM
I adore their 97 worlds gypsy free dance. I don't know anything about dance so I wouldn't know what's old fashioned dancing or what's not.

PashaFan
08-14-2012, 11:15 AM
I adore their 97 worlds gypsy free dance. I don't know anything about dance so I wouldn't know what's old fashioned dancing or what's not.

When they returned in the 96/97 season they were fantastic. Their OD & FD were amazing both in terms of choreography & technique.
I think I remember Eurosport showing the Champion Series events that season & watching Sophie & Pascal at Skate America, The Nations Cup On Ice & The NHK Trophy. They were very good in all three.
Even though I went on to become a huge Marina & Gwendal fan, that season I felt that Moniotte & Lavanchy were the better of the two French Couples.
It's a pity I can't find their events other than the Worlds that season on Youtube. I would love to watch them again.

googooeyes
08-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Pascal & Sophie were one of my favorite teams. They were always so charming. Pascal has now become a stunt driver!
http://www.wheels.ca/news/still-flipping-for-gold-figure-skater-turns-stunt-driver/

kirkbiggestfan
08-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Pascal was very very strong in technic, but the requirements back then were so different. She had star quality and compensated her weaknesses with charisma (like Margaglio).
She wrote a book "les patins de la colere". I doubt it has been translated into English. The book explained all the dirty secrets of the ice dancing world. They benefited from the system and got dropped instantly to the point where they both left the sport with a complete disgust.
It's sad because young skaters would have benefitted from their experience, had they transitionned into coaching.

Vash01
08-15-2012, 11:34 PM
To me, M&L were just OK- a good ice dance team, that's all. I never thought of them as championship caliber at the world level. I did watch them win Skate America in 93 and that was well deserved. I have several of their programs on tapes but I have not watched them in years.

IMO A&P were the first real championship caliber team that skated for France (I did not say 'from France' for the obvious reason). The Duschenays were exciting to watch, but they were nowhere close to other top dance teams of their time in techique.

Shyjosie
08-23-2012, 01:50 PM
I loved M&L--so charming! I just adore their 1994 FD:
I would love some recent news on these two, if anyone has any.
Totally agree, I just rewatched their FD. I enjoyed very much their performance at the '94 Olys and found it quite sad for them they didn't medal.