PDA

View Full Version : "The Ugly Americans Are Back" (Yahoo Article)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

PeterG
08-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Can the USA adopt Bolt? I find his unfiltered arrogance hysterical. Reminiscent of a young Cassius clay.

In some of his interviews I find him to be a cool guy and in others, he makes me go :rolleyes: What I don't get is how so much attention is giving to the 100 metre sprint (over other events). Some dude can run really, really fast for ten seconds? :huh: I find it borderline embarrassing that someone could be proud of that. Table-tennis...trampoline...I see the skill in these events and how they use intelligence and skill to be a world-class athlete. But running really, really fast...for ten seconds??? It's almost sad... :(

(P.S. I know it takes skill and strength to be a worldclass sprinter, but it pales in comparision to SO many other events which get SO little attention...)

Anita18
08-11-2012, 02:00 AM
In some of his interviews I find him to be a cool guy and in others, he makes me go :rolleyes: What I don't get is how so much attention is giving to the 100 metre sprint (over other events). Some dude can run really, really fast for ten seconds? :huh: I find it borderline embarrassing that someone could be proud of that. Table-tennis...trampoline...I see the skill in these events and how they use intelligence and skill to be a world-class athlete. But running really, really fast...for ten seconds??? It's almost sad... :(

(P.S. I know it takes skill and strength to be a worldclass sprinter, but it pales in comparision to SO many other events which get SO little attention...)
But to run the fastest is a definitely mark of athleticism. The greatest game of football or the best trampoline routine...all that is subjective. If you ask different people, they might have differing opinions. But to run the 100m with the shortest time, well, there's nothing subjective about that. :lol:

The varying Olympic sports always astound me with the crazy things the human body can do if you train hard enough. But running the fastest, there's no question the sheer athleticism. That's why they call the person who holds that record "the fastest human in the world." Because s/he quite literally is. :P

Holley Calmes
08-11-2012, 05:03 AM
And wasn't the original Ugly American an unattractive/plain looking man living overseas who took the time to understand his local community's culture and needs and helped them develop the improvements they wanted?

You might be right, but all I remember is this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056632/

Reading the description I'm thinking..well, nothing has changed much....

milanessa
08-11-2012, 05:15 AM
And wasn't the original Ugly American an unattractive/plain looking man living overseas who took the time to understand his local community's culture and needs and helped them develop the improvements they wanted?

No. The original (in the book) was an ambassador who was the direct opposite of what you describe.

skfan
08-11-2012, 05:17 AM
But to run the fastest is a definitely mark of athleticism. The greatest game of football or the best trampoline routine...all that is subjective. If you ask different people, they might have differing opinions. But to run the 100m with the shortest time, well, there's nothing subjective about that. :lol:

The varying Olympic sports always astound me with the crazy things the human body can do if you train hard enough. But running the fastest, there's no question the sheer athleticism. That's why they call the person who holds that record "the fastest human in the world." Because s/he quite literally is. :P

yeah, but if the track is assisting the runners to achieve faster time, the old record holder might legitimately say, i did my work without the track's help.

i thought under some conditions (wind above a certain speed) the time wouldn't count toward a world record, because it was wind-aided, but i'm not track and field guru, so please feel free to correct me.

so what i'm trying to say is, there's nothing that's not contestable if someone wants to contest it. even the fastest man.

kwanfan1818
08-11-2012, 06:58 AM
"The fastest" is over an arbitrary distance, though, and there could be plenty of debate over whether 50 or 100 or 83.723 or X is the appropriate distance, or whether it's all about the initial acceleration speed or maintaining that speed over time or some physical attribute, like the average time it takes for lactic acid to build, etc.

Cachoo
08-11-2012, 04:50 PM
But why are those T-shirts a bad idea, yet it's ok for Usain Bolt to declare himself a living legend?

I don't think it is a male/female thing: I think it is a big, wealthy nation/ small, less wealthy nation thing. Imho Bolt doesn't just speak for his country but all of the smaller nations who don't have the wealth, training and advantages of the bigger countries. What would the medals list look like if there was a level playing field? I know people think Bolt is cocky and maybe they are right. But I think he is all about empowerment. In this way he is very much like Ali. And that is a good thing (as Martha Stewart would say.)

beepbeep
08-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Wrong thread...

liv
08-11-2012, 05:46 PM
I agree that it could be a big/wealthy nation vs. smaller nation thing that changes how many people view the celebrating. You wouldn't want to see Goliath putting on a t-shirt saying how great he was because he beat David. If it were the reverse people would not be as offended because the outcome wasn't expected. People do love the underdog... and charming people wherever they are from.

If any nation that is powerful in a certain sport were to put on shirts like that after a win, it would be taken poorly because it would seem like they came expecting to win, thereby not showing respect for their opponents.

snoopy
08-11-2012, 07:42 PM
I asked a bunch of guys at work which event they'd win a gold medal in and 2/3 of them said the 100 meters - they wanted to be the fastest man in the world. Wouldn't be what I'd pick but maybe there is something superhero about it to the guys.

Tesla
08-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Personally, I think the decathletes and heptathletes are the track superheroes.

Matryeshka
08-11-2012, 08:22 PM
If I won a gold medal, I'd be wearing T-shirts that said, "suck it, losers" with an American flag done in a Nike swish. :P

Very few Olympic athletes will be famous to even their own countrymen beyond the games; most of us will forget all but a few names. Everyone should enjoy their moment in the sun, and if you are the best in the world, then you've earned the right to wear a T-shirt proclaiming that fact, whether you're the favorite from the favored country or the underdog from a country no one's heard of.

One thing I cannot stand is mealy-mouthed modesty. I find a bit of earned arrogance attractive and less disingenuous than, ohhh, I'm just happy to represent my country, blah-blah.

Tesla
08-11-2012, 08:27 PM
If I won a gold medal, I'd be wearing T-shirts that said, "suck it, losers" with an American flag done in a Nike swish. :P

Very few Olympic athletes will be famous to even their own countrymen beyond the games; most of us will forget all but a few names. Everyone should enjoy their moment in the sun, and if you are the best in the world, then you've earned the right to wear a T-shirt proclaiming that fact, whether you're the favorite from the favored country or the underdog from a country no one's heard of.

One thing I cannot stand is mealy-mouthed modesty. I find a bit of earned arrogance attractive and less disingenuous than, ohhh, I'm just happy to represent my country, blah-blah.

:respec:

And with the way these Olympics are going, I'd wear one that says "Girls rule and boys drool." :D

Bournekraatzfan
08-11-2012, 11:03 PM
I don't think it is a male/female thing: I think it is a big, wealthy nation/ small, less wealthy nation thing. Imho Bolt doesn't just speak for his country but all of the smaller nations who don't have the wealth, training and advantages of the bigger countries. What would the medals list look like if there was a level playing field? I know people think Bolt is cocky and maybe they are right. But I think he is all about empowerment. In this way he is very much like Ali. And that is a good thing (as Martha Stewart would say.)

While I do think many people hold female athletes to different standards, I agree that for a lot of people the issue with the shirts has to do with differential power and privilege. I expect athletes from the Global North to be conscious of that in the way they conduct themselves. I'm not that bothered by the shirts...I'm just not crazy about them.

But I actually think that some of these athletes are being honest when they say that, and again, I think the differences in size, wealth, political climate, etc. of countries have a lot to do with how these athletes feel about their participation and victories in their respective sports. At the Euro Cup, when Salpingidis scored a goal for Greece in a game against Germany, instead of celebrating in a manner that drew attention to what he had just done (which would be fine, imo), he gently blew a kiss to the crowd. And in the press, he talked about how important it was to play for the people of the country, to lift their spirits.

flipforsynchro
08-11-2012, 11:11 PM
:respec:

And with the way these Olympics are going, I'd wear one that says "Girls rule and boys drool." :D

Imagine if some guy wore a shirt that said the opposite...he'd get ripped to shreds :yikes: