PDA

View Full Version : Schwazer sent home by the Italian team for doping

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

millyskate
08-06-2012, 06:18 PM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Athletisme/Actualites/Schwazer-exclu-pour-dopage/304193
I believe this is the athlete who was/is Carolina Kostner's boyfriend...

Celine82
08-06-2012, 06:32 PM
:eek:

But EPO?! Are people seriously still hoping they won't get caught on that?!

Alex was in Nice to support Caro and celebrate with her, and she was apparently planning to go to London to support him.

Domshabfan
08-06-2012, 06:52 PM
this is really sad, i did not see this one coming.:(

pingu
08-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Another article in Italian:
http://www.gazzetta.it/Olimpiadi/06-08-2012/doping-coni-esclude-azzurrodovrebbe-essere-schwazer--912154682919.shtml

I'm gonna try to do a quick translation of it:

Schwazer positive at the Epo test
"I did a mistake, my career is over"

Coni (the Italian national Olympic committee) has cicked him out of the games after founding him positive for the markers or metabolytes of the Epo. he should have competed at the 50km walking race on Saturday morning at 10am. The Alto Adige-born had given up to competing in the 20km walking because of a flu.

The Italian sport is schocked: the Olympic athlete Alex Schwazer has been proved positive to an anti-doping control made the past 30 June. The news arrived in Londn though a statement published in the afternoon on the CONI website. It is a desruptive new for the Italian athletics, that was relying on the walker for a medal. The Wada letter that has been sent to the CONI is about Epo markers or metabolytes found after an unexpected test taken during the pre-Olympic period. Now we are waiting for further tests [don't know how to say controanalisi in english. it's another test you take on the same sample, to verify that the result you had the first time is actually correct]. "I did a mistake, my career is over" the athlete said.

Braulio
08-06-2012, 07:03 PM
And he was the Olympic champion right? this really makes me lost respect for his achievements because it taints his career, sad but he made a mistake

pingu
08-06-2012, 07:25 PM
And he was the Olympic champion right?

Yes

Cachoo
08-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Re the American judo athlete and this guy: Even though they are sent home they still were able to experience winning a spot on their respective teams, going to the opening ceremonies and meeting lots of athletes from all over. Someone who didn't cheat may never have the opportunity.
Why can't they catch them before they ever leave their homes?

kirkbiggestfan
08-06-2012, 07:33 PM
He did a mistake..he forgot to take the masking drugs he has been taking for years!

Braulio
08-06-2012, 07:35 PM
He did a mistake..he forgot to take the masking drugs he has been taking for years!

harsh but maybe true

:confused:

pingu
08-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Re the American judo athlete and this guy: Even though they are sent home they still were able to experience winning a spot on their respective teams, going to the opening ceremonies and meeting lots of athletes from all over. Someone who didn't cheat may never have the opportunity.

Alex has not even arrived in London. He is in Italy now.

Garden Kitty
08-06-2012, 10:58 PM

Re the judo athlete, according to the WADA Prohibited Substance list, THC is only a banned substance for in competition testing. If he had been tested before the event, and THC was found, it wouldn't be a positive test and he wouldn't have been banned. However, per the USADA warning in the athlete guide (http://www.usada.org/uploads/2012_athlete_guide_to_the_wada_prohibited_list.pdf ):

Athletes should be aware that cannabinoids may be retained in fat tissue following chronic use and may be detected weeks after use. There have been situations where sudden weight loss has caused cannabinoid metabolites stored in fat to be released in detectable levels. USADA strongly advises athletes not to use cannabinoids at any time.

Ziggy
08-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Tsk tsk, there is a doping thread already. :P

Merge please, admins?

loulou
08-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Schwazer was reportedly training incredibly hard. Recently, he was in St. Moritz, and in Oberstdorf, so he could be by his girlfriend.

The test was done in Oberstdorf, on July 30. Schwazer never left for London, much less arrived there.

His coach said he sacrificed a lot of his family time to train him, he had no idea what he was doing, he's now devasted, also questions his coaching skills to some extent, and has no desire whatsoever to speak with the guy any time soon.

Schwazer says he did it all on his own.

Personally, I don't believe for a split second that an athlete gets into this all alone, an no one by his side knows until the international test commette shows up.

Irony: apparently, in the late 90s Schwazer left a promising riding career because the enviroment there had too much doping going around. We hear this, and the person sitting next to me says: "Of course, he went to a cleaner environment, to better benefit from the doping".

milanessa
08-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Tsk tsk, there is a doping thread already. :P

Merge please, admins?

Where?

Cachoo
08-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Alex has not even arrived in London. He is in Italy now.

I feel a little bit better now.