PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Olympic Games - Day Ten- General Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

my little pony
08-07-2012, 01:30 AM
The gold Royal Mail boxes in each medalist hometown is the coolest idea yet!

yes, i think i would love seeing it all the time when i ran errands

beepbeep
08-07-2012, 01:30 AM
To me is not an anti canadian bias but a PRO USA one, if a team has a reputation of champion a lot of referees turn blind to possible faults or "help" them with out of the blue free shots or penalties... This is also pretty obvious in men football, specially for Brasil.

I am pretty sure that everything in football, down to the C division, is rigged.
Championships are up to the highest bidder, which is one of the reasons I gave up watching football a long time ago.
This is not just the referee's fault, but teams' too.

Citlali
08-07-2012, 01:41 AM
I am pretty sure that everything in football, down to the C division, is rigged.
Championships are up to the highest bidder, which is one of the reasons I gave up watching football a long time ago.
This is not just the referee's fault, but teams' too.

This is sadly true, Im a "once every two years" watcher, just Olympics and Worlds; even if my country insist that is the only sport in the world :rolleyes: and we are so bad at it:scream:

beepbeep
08-07-2012, 01:45 AM
This is sadly true, Im a "once every two years" watcher, just Olympics and Worlds; even if my country insist that is the only sport in the world :rolleyes: and we are so bad at it:scream:

The latin america disease :wall:
aka,"are there any sports other than football?"

AragornElessar
08-07-2012, 01:49 AM
To say I'm ticked about happened in that Soccer/Football game is an understatement. I can just imagine what my BiL was thinking, he's Italian born and has taught me all I know about the sport. I'm tempted to give him a call for his reaction, but I can pretty much guess it.

I watched a bit of it at work and then managed to get my daughter home in time to see the end of the US-Canada game. She loved it! :cheer2: USA! I didn't see the bad call, but it is hard to feel sympathy when the Canada's head coach was complaining even before the game started. :lol: I don't follow soccer very closely, but what I've read indicates that there is quite a bit of irony in the Canadian team saying that the US team is too rough. From what I saw of the game, both teams are very physical! :yikes:

Perhaps because this has happened before? More than once in fact?

Turns out he had a point.

The US got a good last goal, but anyone who knows an OUNCE about this game knows that "refereeing" was the worst I have ever seen in a woman's soccer match. The bias was so alarmingly blatant. The amount of US handballs not called, the b/s "penalty" called that wasn't a penalty, the purposely trying to injure our players at the end of the game... I've never had so much disrespect or ill will for one team in my entire life. All I can say is go Japan!

All I can say is that you've pretty much summed up my feelings of it all.

From what I remember from my refereeing days, it's generally a call you make only after warning the goalie, so maybe this was the second or third time it happened.

Only it wasn't and when's the last time you ever saw that called in a major match such as this? As Kara Lang, CTV's Soccer Analyst said, she can't even remember the last time she saw this call made, because all the Keepers hold the ball for longer than that. As someone else noted in this thread, the US Keeper held it well past the time allotted, but did she get called for it?

Of course not.

I'm going to say something that will not go over well and I expect to get many neg rep points slung my way, but here goes....

I don't get why the US fans are celebrating in here. Our Canadian girls weren't the only ones who lost here, the US girls did too. Who wants to say they got into The Gold Medal match at the Olympic Games this way!?! This wasn't a win, but yet another black eye on a Sport that already has a horrid reputation when it comes to the Officials and calls.

No one won here and Soccer lost yet again.

However, if you all want to jump up and down in joy over the way the match was handed to your team by an Official, okay then. All I know is I would not be happy over this if the cleats were on the other foot.

Which I also know some in here won't believe, but that's okay. I've already had one of my posts in another thread in this portion of the site called BS and won't be surprised by the reaction this gets.

It doesn't negate the fact what happened was a disservice to the Sport *and* the talented players playing it yet again and on one of it's biggest stages to boot. :(

misskarne
08-07-2012, 01:51 AM
WE HAVE ANOTHER GOLD :cheer:

Hooray for Tom Slingsby!

Dad had hijacked the TV again (a;klejhbn;anta;o %&@$%&@$& Planet of the $^#$^! Apes!). So he turned over when it was supposed to be about time for the race to end - and the first thing we saw was Tom in the water and the boat capsized! :eek::eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

...a few moments later he turned around with this huge grin and his arms in the air and it was like... "Ohhhh. YAY!" :cheer:

AragornElessar
08-07-2012, 02:02 AM
LOL!!! Been there and done that too. Only w/us it was Chandra Crawford's Gold Medal winning race in Torino and it was Mother Nature unleashing the worst storm of that Winter. The wind drove so much snow into the dish, it went out just after it started and then it changed direction and swept it out in time for us to find out she'd won. :D

Congrats on your latest Gold!! :)

professordeb
08-07-2012, 02:08 AM
I'd like to congrats Team BG on how amazingly well they have done thus far. You can tell they have the home team advantage aka having had time to train at the various venues. Well done, Brits. Hoping you continue to have a great Olympics. Being Canadian, I'm cheering for Team BG when there aren't any Canadians competing. Thanks for some really great moments thus far and looking forward to more!

Oh yeah, I'm really enjoying the times we get see some of the British Royals! With that in mind, I wonder if the current Queen and her consort attended any of the games during the last time they were held in England? Just curious as it seems "our" generation are in attendance at a number of events. Harry endeared himself even further into the hearts of Canadians, I think, when he visited the Canadian House. Well done, chap! ;-)

jeffisjeff
08-07-2012, 02:32 AM
Only it wasn't...

Well, not quite. The referee did not warn her, but the linesman did. I don't know if that makes a difference (unlike some, watching the Olympics doesn't suddenly turn me into an expert on all sports :lol: ), but that is what the goalie is quoted as saying:

McLeod said she did not receive the usual warning from the referee about holding the ball too long, although she said the linesman had told her at the start of the second half not to slow down play.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/extra-time-winner-gives-us-soccer-women-4-3-win-over-canada-japan-next-for-olympic-gold/2012/08/06/907a8076-e026-11e1-8d48-2b1243f34c85_story.html

Which I also know some in here won't believe, but that's okay. I've already had one of my posts in another thread in this portion of the site called BS and won't be surprised by the reaction this gets.

I don't think the problem is your actual opinions, but rather the overwrought emotions you often bring to your posts. But yeah, if you choose to be the self-proclaimed cheer police for the Olympics, pronouncing what should and should not be cheered, you might find yourself facing calls of BS. :rofl:

Tesla
08-07-2012, 03:38 AM
Eh, all sports have refs that suck. Teams just have to rise above it. Anyway, yay USA. :cheer2:

Norlite
08-07-2012, 03:45 AM
Eh, all sports have refs that suck. Teams just have to rise above it.

I agree.

Canada meets France next. GO CANADA GO! :cheer2:

Tesla
08-07-2012, 03:52 AM
I agree.

Canada meets France next. GO CANADA GO! :cheer2:

Yes. Go Canada! Kick France's butt! :cheer:

wickedwitch
08-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Having reviewed the game now, the free kick call seems too picky. Of course, I wasn't on the field, so I can't know exactly how the officials were communicating with the goalie.

The hand ball call that followed was the correct call.

Cachoo
08-07-2012, 05:28 AM
I was such a fan of the idea of the 1999 World Cup event and our team much more for feminist reasons than the game itself. The only problem was and is that I cannot stay awake when I try to watch soccer. If there were bad calls the body that appoints the refs will have to sort it out although previous posts suggest that these problems are not new. Thanks for posting the Post article. Wambaugh had a thoughtful quote. Anyway go USA! I won't be watching.

allezfred
08-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Woo-Hoo - another guaranteed medal for Ireland in boxing - great fight btw Katie Taylor & Natasha Jonas :)

:cheer:

How typical was it though that Annalise Murphy came FORTH in the sailing though?