Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

Smiley0884
08-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Is Morozov God?

:rofl: We're all doomed if that's true :eek: :scream:

Although it would explain why he has so many students :P

overedge
08-07-2012, 08:41 AM
According to this story, Hall listed God as his official coach on his drug-testing forms at the US half-marathon championships.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/18/ryan-hall-olympic-runner-claims-god-is-his-coach_n_1681525.html
Imagine if there had been a problem with his drug test and the event officials had to find the coach to get more information on Hall's training.....

Garden Kitty
08-07-2012, 01:24 PM
I never heard of Ryan Hall before this thread, but following some of the links in this thread, and the links in the articles linked in this thread, I found a nice article about how he and his wife have formed a foundation that, among other things, is helping to raise money for a hospital in Kenya in honor of a Kenyan runner whose brother died of a snake bite because he didn't have access to medical care.

So while I can't really relate to the role his religion plays in his life or how public he is about his beliefs. I do respect that he seems genuinely motivated to accomplish something good and I think that's admirable.

skatesindreams
08-07-2012, 05:56 PM
^^^
This!

PeterG
08-07-2012, 08:19 PM
According to this story, Hall listed God as his official coach on his drug-testing forms at the US half-marathon championships.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/18/ryan-hall-olympic-runner-claims-god-is-his-coach_n_1681525.html
Imagine if there had been a problem with his drug test and the event officials had to find the coach to get more information on Hall's training.....

:rofl:

I never heard of Ryan Hall before this thread, but following some of the links in this thread, and the links in the articles linked in this thread, I found a nice article about how he and his wife have formed a foundation that, among other things, is helping to raise money for a hospital in Kenya in honor of a Kenyan runner whose brother died of a snake bite because he didn't have access to medical care.

So while I can't really relate to the role his religion plays in his life or how public he is about his beliefs. I do respect that he seems genuinely motivated to accomplish something good and I think that's admirable.

Well....he is coached by the best... :shuffle:

berthesghost
08-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Oh. I thought that was the olympic flame in the stadium. It's really the burning bush giving track side advice?

duane
08-08-2012, 04:26 AM
Well....he is coached by the best... :shuffle:
:rofl:

manhn
08-08-2012, 04:29 AM

How does God get security clearance? Maybe it was Ryan's coach walking beside the Indian flagbearer at the Opening Ceremonies?

Ozzisk8tr
08-08-2012, 04:49 AM
How does God get security clearance? Maybe it was Ryan's coach walking beside the Indian flagbearer at the Opening Ceremonies?

Is he going to present any medals? Smite the drug cheats with Usain's bolt maybe?

millyskate
08-08-2012, 11:44 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lhbqg/Leap_of_Faith/

BBC program looking more in depth at the relationship between athletes and their faith (different faiths).
All drive home the point that it's not about praying to win.

PeterG
08-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Has Hall competed yet? If not, I'm wondering if he does not get the results he hoped for, will God file a protest on his behalf?

mazzy
08-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Has Hall competed yet? If not, I'm wondering if he does not get the results he hoped for, will God file a protest on his behalf?

Only if the Karolyis are around and tell him to.

allezfred
08-10-2012, 10:28 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lhbqg/Leap_of_Faith/

BBC program looking more in depth at the relationship between athletes and their faith (different faiths).
All drive home the point that it's not about praying to win.

When confronted by the illogicality of their statements of course they're going to backtrack. :P But when you read statements like below for example, it is hard to deny that what they are saying is that God had a hand in their success which means he/she/it is also responsible for someone else's failure.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0809/1224321876742.html

A devout Christian, Taylor insisted the journey to this stage of a remarkable career could not have been accomplished alone.

"I dreamt of this moment so many times before and now I just can't believe the grace of God in my life right now, she told RT. I just want to thank everyone for all their prayers. I said it yesterday, as well, with all the prayers over the last week. I'd be nothing without God.

Im here because of the grace of God in my life and because of Jesus in my life and without him I'd be nothing really. So praise God, thank you Jesus for such a great victory today."

For anyone who watches athletics the above is by no means a rare statement for an athlete to make.

millyskate
08-10-2012, 05:59 PM
I guess that making the point that praising God for victory in absolutely no way, shape or form related to praying for victory is lost on you? Of course they praise God for victory. Of course!!!!! Giving God the credit for success doesn't mean you believe he should give it to you. It's considered a mercy, a grace - not something you deserve, but something you give thanks for.

galaxygirl
08-10-2012, 06:11 PM
I guess that making the point that praising God for victory in absolutely no way, shape or form related to praying for victory is lost on you? Of course they praise God for victory. Of course!!!!! Giving God the credit for success doesn't mean you believe he should give it to you. It's considered a mercy, a grace - not something you deserve, but something you give thanks for.

But don't you see how some may feel this is insulting to the people who didn't win? It's basically saying, God chose me and not you.