PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Hall: "God is my coach"

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Theatregirl1122
08-06-2012, 06:26 PM
:rofl: please show me where the "right to go on CNN and talk about how you are coached by the voices in your head without anyone being meeeeeaaaannnnnn to you" is in the constitution.

Nobody's right to ANYTHING is being "trampled on" because the right to universal popularity doesn't exist. Neither does the freedom from criticism.

I don't care what people believe. They are welcome to it. But giving the intimate details of their relationship with their diety is just as unpleasant to me as having someone give the intimate details of their sex life in an interview. Whatever you do in private, good for you. But I am going to judge the hell out of you if you talk about it in public.

Amy L
08-06-2012, 06:40 PM
So now his rights to be interviewed on CNN about his 'coach' are being trampled on? I bet if it were Michael Phelps talking about his coach you wouldn't have a problem with it?

You are seriously comparing Michael Phelps talking about his coach Bob Bowman to Ryan Hall talking about god??? That is the same to you? I would say that Bob Bowman can be interviewed by CNN on his own power with his own words in front of the cameras in person, but if god did the same... now THAT would be REALLY newsworthy!

overedge
08-06-2012, 06:43 PM
You are seriously comparing Michael Phelps talking about his coach Bob Bowman to Ryan Hall talking about god??? That is the same to you?

It was Ryan Hall who said God was his coach, so apparently it's the same to him.

I appreciate his faith, but at the same time there are plenty of earthly beings who are working their best to help him run well. I hope he acknowledges them too.

milanessa
08-06-2012, 06:43 PM
So now his rights to be interviewed on CNN about his 'coach' are being trampled on?

His "right" to be interviewed on CNN? Do you understand the US Constitution at all?

AYS
08-06-2012, 06:47 PM
So now his rights to be interviewed on CNN about his 'coach' are being trampled on? I bet if it were Michael Phelps talking about his coach you wouldn't have a problem with it?
FIN!
:rofl: :rofl: You heard it here first, Bowman really *is* a god. No wonder Michael won all those medals.

BTW, expressing an opinion and :rofl: :rolleyes: about someone's statements on CNN is a completely different thing than trampling on one's rights.

While I would never deny their right to do so, athletes attributing their performances to god is a real turnoff for me too.

julieann
08-06-2012, 06:47 PM
:rofl: please show me where the "right to go on CNN and talk about how you are coached by the voices in your head without anyone being meeeeeaaaannnnnn to you" is in the constitution.

Nobody's right to ANYTHING is being "trampled on" because the right to universal popularity doesn't exist. Neither does the freedom from criticism.

I don't care what people believe. They are welcome to it. But giving the intimate details of their relationship with their diety is just as unpleasant to me as having someone give the intimate details of their sex life in an interview. Whatever you do in private, good for you. But I am going to judge the hell out of you if you talk about it in public.

He has the right to talk about anything he wants in an interview; if his coach is Bob Bowman or God. They can make fun of him, which is mean :rolleyes: and as immature as calling him a fag and that is their right, or they could just turn the interview off. Especially if they knew what it was about in the subject header. Or like you said, you can 'judge the hell out of him' even though it's unpleasant and intimate probably just to be combative instead of just turning it off.

Theatregirl1122
08-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Please explain to me where anyone said he should not be allowed by the US government to do an interview on this topic?

If you don't want to read a thread full of people making comments on his interview or youtube comments about his interview, you don't have to read them. So your advice that people who don't appreciate this interview don't have to watch it is more than a little hypocritical. Sometimes people discuss things even though they don't like them. Because not all discussions have to be mutual agreement societies about puppies and rainbows.

I won't criticize someone for their private religious beliefs but, just like any other OPINION, as soon as you bring your beliefs into the public conversation, everyone gets to have a say.

Amy L
08-06-2012, 07:07 PM
He has the right to talk about anything he wants in an interview; if his coach is Bob Bowman or God. They can make fun of him, which is mean :rolleyes: and as immature as calling him a fag and that is their right, or they could just turn the interview off. Especially if they knew what it was about in the subject header. Or like you said, you can 'judge the hell out of him' even though it's unpleasant and intimate probably just to be combative instead of just turning it off.

So according to you, we only get those choices? It will be nice if he does well in his event, because it's the Olympics and it's always nice to see people do well. But I have just as much right to question his coaching situation as he does to choose to train that way. Will he care about what I think? No. Does he even know that I exist? Very unlikely. If that makes me mean, then I'm mean. :shuffle: I NEVER ever said that I support anyone that calls him that word on youtube. They have the right I guess, and Ryan Hall detractors certainly didn't invent trolling, but I hate when people insinuate that homosexuality is negative or that it's something that is used as an insult. My comments are certainly not as mean as those comments, but I personally think it's annoying when people claim to know exactly what god thinks or god wants. And it's my right to say so. My rights have been trampled, YOU are being mean to ME. :rolleyes:

kirkbiggestfan
08-06-2012, 07:11 PM
What a freak! Thank you, that made my day! Sorry, but I can't be PC when Chick-Fil-a freaks like him make complete idiots of themselves on national TV!

Cachoo
08-06-2012, 07:16 PM
i dont care what his beliefs are but he should keep them to himself

although a lot of athletes who do thank god after a meet seem to have a god that sounds like santa claus who grants all their wishes

No, I think he has the right to say whatever he wants but we have the right to respond however we want as well. Personally I'd like to see Ricky Gervais respond to him. :)

dbell1
08-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Someone let me know when God appears on CNN. I'm sure Fauxnews would have a stroke. :lol:

As for Phelps, eh, I like to mock him too, but for other reasons. :P

julieann
08-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Please explain to me where anyone said he should not be allowed by the US government to do an interview on this topic?

I never said such a thing.

i dont care what his beliefs are but he should keep them to himself

I won't criticize someone for their private religious beliefs but, just like any other OPINION, as soon as you bring your beliefs into the public conversation, everyone gets to have a say.

True, and I still say he has every right to go on CNN to do an interview as does any athlete to say whatever he wants. I said making fun of him and calling him names was mean and I still stand by my first statement.

Having a conversation and an opinion is one thing; being combative and argumentative just to be a bully and make jokes is another no matter if it's about religion or any other topic.

overedge
08-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Being combative and argumentative just to be a bully and make jokes is another no matter if it's about religion or any other topic.

I don't see anyone being "argumentative" other than disagreeing with Hall's statements and your statements, and explaining why. So apparently if people do not agree they should just shut up :rolleyes:

tarotx
08-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Wasn't the whole purpose of this thread to make fun of a man's beliefs. I mean there was no segue into discussion just a link and a

"Sweet Jesus! :rofl: :rolleyes:"

People who have strong religious beliefs often think that allowing God control of their lives and everyday stuff will lead to the best chance at success they have...It's actually pretty core to believe that allowing God to guide your everyday makes you the best you can be and his wisdom come to you via your own Conscience. At the end of the day, Prayer is a form of Meditation and focuses your mind into a single idea so that you can limit distractions and come to the best ways possible for you. Rather or not an actual God gives you those wisdoms is about belief but I just can't see why it needs to be made a joke.

overedge
08-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Wasn't the whole purpose of this thread to make fun of a man's beliefs. I mean there was no segue into discussion just a link and a

"Sweet Jesus! :rofl: :rolleyes:"

The OP posted the link and expressed his opinion of it. I don't see anything inviting posters to "make fun" of Hall's beliefs.

People who have strong religious beliefs often think that allowing God control of their lives and everyday stuff will lead to the best chance at success they have...It's actually pretty core to believe that allowing God to guide your everyday makes you the best you can be and his wisdom come to you via your own Conscience. At the end of the day, Prayer is a form of Meditation and focuses your mind into a single idea so that you can limit distractions and come to the best ways possible for you. Rather or not an actual God gives you those wisdoms is about belief but I just can't see why it needs to be made a joke.

And some people are disagreeing with that perspective. Disagreement does not equal making "a joke".