PDA

View Full Version : Jordyn vs Gabby: Who is more marketable?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

manleywoman
08-05-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm wondering your thoughts on this:

If Jordyn had won the gymnastics all around as expected, would she have been as marketable as Gabby looks like she will be? They are saying Gabby could make as much as $1-3 million dollars in the next few years. It's a combination of her bright smile, can-do attitude, the come out of nowhere story, etc.

Would Jordyn have had the same success if she'd won?

Scintillation
08-05-2012, 05:44 PM
No.

I love jordyn and respect her competitive drive but she simply doesn't have the star personality gabby has.

my little pony
08-05-2012, 05:49 PM
no, it seems like people have been backing off the jordyn train for a while. she's not conventionally cute (i feel awful saying that). i personally dont respond to perk but it seems like a lot of people do.

Loves_Shizuka
08-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I think it's a bit of a shame that it basically comes down to this.

We're basically asking which 16 year old girl is worth more money :( Doesn't seem right to me.

Lorac
08-05-2012, 05:56 PM
I think it's a bit of a shame that it basically comes down to this.

We're basically which 16 year old girl is worth more money :( Doesn't seem right to me.

I agree but unfortunately that is what drives so much in the US (and I speak from experience as I lived there for 22+ years). It is very sad but there you have it.

bek
08-05-2012, 05:56 PM
no, it seems like people have been backing off the jordyn train for a while. she's not conventionally cute (i feel awful saying that). i personally dont respond to perk but it seems like a lot of people do.

I actually think Jordyn's a pretty girl, but I don't think she has the marketablity Gabby has. Gabby will be making millions!

essence_of_soy
08-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Gabby, for three reasons.

That she came into the event as an unknown (much like Mary Lou Retton prior to the 1984 Games in Los Angeles).

Secondly, being the first Afro - American woman to win the all around event (as Dominique Dawes pointed out in a recent interview) is a tremendous human interest story, too.

Thirdly, her performance quality is more extroverted and audience appealing than Wieber, whose focusses inward when she does her routines.

Frau Muller
08-05-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm wondering your thoughts on this:

If Jordyn had won the gymnastics all around as expected, would she have been as marketable as Gabby looks like she will be? ?

Absolutely not.

Besides talent, cuteness (tiny; not so muscular), spunk and smile, Gabi has 'that certain charismatic something' that will make her the first great marketable gymnast since Mary Lou Retton, possibly even exceeding Mary Lou, since Gabi will appeal to a greater cross-section of the US population. Gabi will be to gymnastics what Dorothy was for skating.

vesperholly
08-05-2012, 06:03 PM
I think if Jordyn had won, her career would end up more like Carly Patterson than Mary Lou Retton - some attention for a while, but fading fairly quickly.

duane
08-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Gabby has the smile, the personality, and the more marketable story. She's an endorsement dream.

Frau Muller
08-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Gabby has the smile, the personality, and the more marketable story. She's an endorsement dream.

Exactly. All in a tiny (non-muscular, thick-necked) frame. For all their talent, very few US women gymnasts nowadays have that svelte frame like Gabby, not pumped to the max.

ks1227
08-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Exactly. All in a tiny (non-muscular, thick-necked) frame. For all their talent, very few US women gymnasts nowadays have that svelte frame like Gabby, not pumped to the max.

:wall:

Lorac
08-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Did Wheaties get the endorsment to add Gabby to their breakfast of champions?

Loves_Shizuka
08-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Gabby will be on the front of Cornflakes

Lanna
08-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Gabby, for three reasons.

That she came into the event as an unknown (much like Mary Lou Retton prior to the 1984 Games in Los Angeles).

Secondly, being the first Afro - American woman to win the all around event (as Dominique Dawes pointed out in a recent interview) is a tremendous human interest story, too.

Thirdly, her performance quality is more extroverted and audience appealing than Wieber, whose focusses inward when she does her routines.

Yeah. It's the extroverts's world; us introverts just live in it.