PDA

View Full Version : Maxime-Billy Fortin hoping to skate for Haiti

Pages : [1] 2

Lara
08-04-2012, 11:23 PM
I had my computer with Montreal's CTV station on via Slingbox, when a skating rink appeared. Turned out to be a local news segment on Fortin! He was born in Haiti, and only recently has it been possible to obtain dual citizenship. He applied and is hoping to be the first Haitian to compete at the Winter Olympics.

I assume Haiti getting ISU membership is the biggest obstacle, and would require having a skating rink built (as did Puerto Rico). Maxime-Billy said he wants to give back and help develop skating within the country. Best of luck to him!

skatingfan04
08-05-2012, 02:18 AM
How wonderful for him!:D I've seen him compete many times, on TV and in person, and he is an excellent skater. Unfortunately, getting spots for international assignments in Canada has proven to be a bit of a tall order for him. I think this is a fantastic idea. I hope he can succeed!

my little pony
08-05-2012, 02:48 AM
i hope he makes it, i always thought he had the best name in skating (along with ari pekka nurmenkari) and i would hate to lose it

me me me

victorskid
08-05-2012, 04:07 AM
Maxime-Billy is competing this weekend at the Minto Summer Skate in Ottawa.

ChelleC
08-05-2012, 05:05 AM
Best of luck to him!

The Accordion
08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I remember him from 2004 Canadians and have been watching him since. I hope this works out for him - he seems to be a really hard worker!

euterpe
08-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Haiti is probably the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, and they are still struggling to recover from the devastating hurricane that struck several years ago. I doubt there is any money to build a skating rink.

my little pony
08-05-2012, 04:30 PM
could they count a rink on a cruise ship docked in port au prince?

PeterG
08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I predict he will place higher than 14th at the Haitian Nationals. (http://tracings.net/fort-maxi.html)

Haiti is probably the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, and they are still struggling to recover from the devastating hurricane that struck several years ago. I doubt there is any money to build a skating rink.

Sometimes skaters train in countries other than their own/the country they represent.

my little pony
08-05-2012, 05:58 PM
they need the rink to join the ISU

PeterG
08-05-2012, 06:01 PM
are outdoor rinks allowed?

aftershocks
08-05-2012, 07:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvgUGg-eG7E :cool:

Love Maxime-Billy's music and his moves! Never heard of him or saw him skate before. :) (He can obviously do the jumps, but like everyone needs to develop consistency). Talent like what he possesses deserves to be nurtured and given a chance on a larger stage, IMO.

Choreo by Julie Marcotte. :respec:

euterpe
08-05-2012, 09:07 PM

I think the ISU requirement is an all-season rink. But it's quite hot in Haiti. I was in Haiti (cruise ship stopover to a beach) in December and it was mid-80s. Even if an outdoor rink was allowed, the temperature even in wintertime would be too high to maintain an ice surface.

VIETgrlTerifa
08-05-2012, 09:15 PM
I think PeterG was being sarcastic with that question.

4rkidz
08-05-2012, 09:33 PM

:lol: seriously though it would be nice if he could represent Haiti..