PDA

View Full Version : Illegally parked and blocking driveway

Pages : [1] 2

Murdoch
08-03-2012, 07:59 PM
So, our neighbours have a huge fifth wheel RV. They used to have a smaller one that they could leave hitched up to their vehicle and park on the street, across their own driveway and just a little past the property line.

They had a second baby and have now added several feet to their new RV purchase. They now cover their driveway, the space between our properties and a few inches of our driveway. In accordance with bylaw, they can only be parked up to the property line. A few inches didn't bother me, but blocking us in (which today I was fully blocked in because of another vehicle parked across the street) and not being able to see anything when we pull out - it is frustrating. The maximum time it has ever been parked out front is 24 hours, but this week, it has been four out of seven days, with no evidence of them leaving any time soon.

I mentioned to the wife that we are having difficulty backing up and she said the only other place to park it was at the end of the road, but then they couldn't get power to it. I asked if they could pull forward to the other property line just to give us a little more room. She said sure. Her husband then moved it forward, but then their line wasn't long enough, so he moved it back.

Do I mention the bylaw or just call? I hate neighbour politics. Hate them. Common sense and common courtesy would be so much easier.

TheGirlCanSkate
08-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I'd call the police non emergency line.

milanessa
08-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah. I'm all for being a good neighbor and occasionally putting up with some inconvenience but, if it's as you describe, it sounds ridiculous. Why do they need to get power to it?

Cupid
08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
I used to have neighbors that would block my curbside mailbox. After several friendly reminders, to which they happily agreed and then ignored, I told them I would start parking my car in front of their mailbox. Then they listened after that. (Mailman would not deliver mail if the mailbox is blocked)

Maybe when they move the RV, you could hurry and park one of your vehicles in the space between your properties? Kind of passive-aggressive, but maybe they'll listen that way.

Murdoch
08-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Why do they need to get power to it?

I wish I knew! I don't know what they are doing in there.

Thanks for the advice folks! Off to call bylaw...

Cupid - that is something my other next door neighbour would do for sure! LOL! Alas, they haven't moved it in three days (which if it doesn't move by tonight, that is another section of that bylaw violated).

berthesghost
08-03-2012, 08:45 PM
You're too nice. Good luck.

I hate this kind of stuff. Usually I just bury my head in the sand. You're better than me. My solution was just to sell my house. lol

orbitz
08-03-2012, 09:05 PM
If you're on good speaking term with your neighbor then I would try to explain the situation to *both* of them one more time though.

taf2002
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Murdoch, since you have told your neighbors that they are blocking you in & they don't consider that more serious than not being able to plug in, you really don't have much recourse but to call the city. You can warn them one more time & tell them that even one time blocking your driveway is not acceptable & you will call code enforcement if it happens again. Then do it. The city will give them a citation every time they come out & the fine will be higher each time. At least it is in my city.

AxelAnnie
08-03-2012, 10:25 PM
I'd call the police non emergency line.

Yep - great advice. Do they have people staying in it? 'Cause they shouldn't need power otherwise.....I would think.

victoriajh
08-04-2012, 01:10 AM
or just crash into it and say OOPS- guess I cant make that tight turn ;) that might help them get the point - kidding aside- My neighbors frequently park in front of my house(and over my driveway) and have so many vehicles that it makes getting my van out a challenge- so i feel your pain- good luck

euterpe
08-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Put a row of large stones along your property line. Then parking their RV will be all THEIR problem.

shan
08-04-2012, 01:27 AM
People like that make me :rolleyes: Could she really not see beyond her own "we can't get power anywhere else" to you not being able to safely leave your driveway????

I hope everything works out.

my little pony
08-04-2012, 02:21 AM
Put a row of large stones along your property line. Then parking their RV will be all THEIR problem.

this, or time to get a fence

PeterG
08-04-2012, 03:06 AM
If you're on good speaking term with your neighbor then I would try to explain the situation to *both* of them one more time though.

I think that's a good idea. If things are left feeling kind of vague, would it be a good idea to say something like, "Do you think I should call the city by-laws department? To get clarification on this issue?" That way you are involving them in what will happen...and that includes involving the city in something that a good neighbour (meaning them) would find a way to work out on their own. This way they won't be blindsided, as you've already brought up the possibility of involving the city in your affairs.

FigureSpins
08-04-2012, 03:21 AM
I'm surprised that parking an RV across any driveway is allowed under the bylaws at all. In NYC, cops looking to make quota would start a ticket blizzard in various parts of Brooklyn & Staten Island, lol.

Give them one more try: buy a heavy-duty extension cord and ask them to pull forward more. If they don't comply, ask the police (non-emergency) to check out the street for parking issues.