PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics Apparatus Finals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66]

ioana
08-07-2012, 04:26 AM
Romanian Olympic Committee wanted to make sure replacing Bulimar with Ioradche was Diana's decision and not anyone else's. "We don't approve of taking away [they actually said "kidnapping" :drama:] the opportunity to exercise a right earned through work. That's why we wanted to be sure", said ROC general secretary Ioan Dobrescu. Other officials confirmed the decision with Bulimar's parents, as well since she's a minor.

Not really sure what this confirms, but good to know they're being thorough.

jlai
08-07-2012, 04:28 AM
So happy for Kexin He! She had such a tough couple of years. And then there was such pressure on her to do well at these Games, as she was only included in the women's team under the expectation that she would ace the UB routines. And ace them she did! Each one was better than the previous. I thought today's was the best of all, and worthy of a gold medal. I thought her execution was just as good as Mustafina's, and so given the higher level of difficulty, she ought to have won.

I am beginning to like He for her toughness. Resultwise, I am happy that Musty got gold. She got the right balance between difficulty and execution. Love Komova and the other Chinese girl too for their elegance. Didn't watch the girl after Komova as BBC froze on me. :(

LuckyCharm
08-07-2012, 04:35 AM
"We don't approve of taking away [they actually said "kidnapping" :drama:] the opportunity to exercise a right earned through work.

He said this? Like, with a straight face??

ioana
08-07-2012, 04:42 AM
He said this? Like, with a straight face??

It's in print, so I don't know how straight his face was...I'd still file this under progress at the end of the day.

galaxygirl
08-07-2012, 05:27 AM
Tweets from McKayla regarding her reaction to the vault final:

McKaylaMaroney

For anyone who thought I didn't want to hug Maria and Sandra that's not the case(: They are my friends, and I'm proud of them both

I wasn't thinking straight and I totally forgot what to do, but don't worry.. I gave them both hugs after!! <3

Sportsmanship is so important to me and I hope you know i would never do that intentionally!! Please forgive me!!

Eta: Take note, NBC

richarddeitsch

Gabby Douglas (18.27 million views) tops Michael Phelps (7.04M) as NBCOlympics.com’s Most-Clicked Athlete, says the network.

7:45 AM Aug 6th via web
http://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/232487628761624576

Karpenko
08-07-2012, 05:36 AM
I don't know if this has been discussed as I didn't read through all 49 pages. Why was there a controversy when Alicia Sacramone lost the bronze to the Chinese who sat down on vault, but not when Maroney who also sat down on the vault won the silver over the Russian ? The Chinese gymnast had a higher start value than Sacramone, same situation as Maroney over the Russian thus able to sustain a mistake and score higher than the gymnast who placed below them. Is it because an American was shut out of a medal?

Because the last Olympics had a much stronger field of vaulters and even Cheng Fei wasn't as head and shoulders above that field like Maroney was here. I think any of the top 4 from that final could've win the gold here based on their performances and start values (Cheng Fei fell on a vault .4 higher in Sv than Maroneys 2nd vault as well). I see what you mean, but Maroney was class of the field here in SV alone where the last final had much much higher difficulty from the top vaulters. I remember after the last Olympic vault final being underwhelmed, but it really did have a much stronger group of vaults compared to what we had here.

taf2002
08-07-2012, 05:46 AM
So happy for Kexin He! She had such a tough couple of years. And then there was such pressure on her to do well at these Games, as she was only included in the women's team under the expectation that she would ace the UB routines. And ace them she did! Each one was better than the previous. I thought today's was the best of all, and worthy of a gold medal. I thought her execution was just as good as Mustafina's, and so given the higher level of difficulty, she ought to have won.

Apparently she got a deduction because of an extra pirouette. How could this have happened after having the routine scored twice here already? Shouldn't she and her coach know to just take out the last pirouette or something?

I also thought Kexin He was better. They were both fabulous but I really thought He had won. Tweddle's twisting release moves were unbelievable. She isn't elegant & her landing was bad but her routine took my breath away.

Romanian Olympic Committee wanted to make sure replacing Bulimar with Ioradche was Diana's decision and not anyone else's. "We don't approve of taking away [they actually said "kidnapping" :drama:] the opportunity to exercise a right earned through work. That's why we wanted to be sure", said ROC general secretary Ioan Dobrescu. Other officials confirmed the decision with Bulimar's parents, as well since she's a minor.

Not really sure what this confirms, but good to know they're being thorough.

I remember the 1st time I ever saw someone replaced. I forget who it was but the girl who earned it had it taken away against her will. It was heartbreaking. I disapprove of this type of replacement. If someone in the top 8 isn't going to compete, I think the place should go to #9, not necessarily someone on her team.

tarotx
08-07-2012, 06:02 AM
It's only someone on their team if they also made top 8 but isn't able to compete because of 2 per country. Or is the 9th athlete.

Spareoom
08-07-2012, 06:07 AM
On one hand, I'm glad the FIG has made the rule that athletes could be subbed in. Because when they were pulled under the pretense of injury, it just seemed so wrong and unfair. Now, the federations have legitimate resources at their disposal should they decide it is in their best interest to do some shuffling. Russia and Romania have no problems with pulling girls, the USA NEVER has even when it was glaringly in their favor to do so. It's just a result of a different mindset. Marta believes that once the results are set, that's that. Other coaches want to make the most out of the opportunities given.

Had Aly been from Russia or Romania, she would have been pulled from the AA almost the second prelims were over. That's just the way it would have been.

gingercrush
08-07-2012, 09:38 AM
I love this article: http://www.thecouchgymnast.com/?p=7081

allezfred
08-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Meh, see a dentist and feck off.

Post of the thread! :rofl:

Didn't she get them fixed a few years back though? If so I'd be asking for my money back. :shuffle:

Hedwig
08-07-2012, 01:58 PM
I made a new thread:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3650393#post3650393