PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics Apparatus Finals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66

millyskate
08-06-2012, 10:30 PM
^^ No, that is super good for them! Especially since I don't think a GBR woman has won an Olympic medal before, right? I think Tweds is the first. :)

The British woman's team won in 1924, I believe :lol: They made a great impression by being the first team to compete in socks :rofl: and this boosted their marks.

ioana
08-06-2012, 10:30 PM
^^ No, that is super good for them! Especially since I don't think a GBR woman has won an Olympic medal before, right? I think Tweds is the first. :)

Yup, she is the first individual medalist. They won team bronze waaaaay back in 1928.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnastics_at_the_1928_Summer_Olympics

millyskate
08-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Yup, she is the first individual medalist. They won team bronze waaaaay back in 1928.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnastics_at_the_1928_Summer_Olympics

thanks for the link... I'd read the sock story multiple times but couldn't remember the medal details!

ioana
08-06-2012, 10:32 PM
They made a great impression by being the first team to compete in socks :rofl: and this boosted their marks.

Ah, Chinese women must be paying tribute to them on FX. If only they'd stop after London :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_i7PkA3hV4

ETA: The sock story is hilarious. Am off to read up on it.

Buzz
08-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Good luck tomorrow to Aliya, Vika, Emin, and David!!! :cheer2:

beepbeep
08-07-2012, 12:26 AM
They are showing a piece on Arthur Zanetti here. Little bits:

*He quit once. Couldn't stand just being at the house, saw a shrink, and came back a month later.
*His father is a craftsman and he did several pices of equipment to help around the gym, including... rings!
*He is about 1.56m and his brother simply towers above him :lol:. I'd say he's at least 1,80m.

Cachoo
08-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Buzz who is Emin?

AYS
08-07-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm so happy for Tweddle winning the bronze! Yet another example of how meaningful a bronze medal can be, and thus, why it should be greatly respected in the overall medal counts!

;) But I actually really mean this. :)

ioana
08-07-2012, 01:06 AM
So, Koczi update in case anyone's interested.

He was asked about the vault final first. "It is, without any doubt, a disappointing result. I was expecting more. I didn't get the job done here either, on vault. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not valuable! I have a lot to work on. I don't know what happened with the Romanian team, either. These are dark days for men's gymnastics."

On skipping the AA "I had problems on HB due to lack of orientation [air awareness]. I felt the gym was spinning around. I was dizzy. The problem was my landing. Up until then, I could have managed. I had the whole routine, except the end. I couldn't compete because I could make a fool out of myself and I would have risked an injury."

You can see his HB routine from qualifying om NBC and he really does just jump off instead of doing a dismount. I'm not sure if gymnasts can develop vertigo of some sort, but between this, weird landings on his FX and doing only 1.5 twists instead of 2.5 on his VT, I do wonder if there's something wrong his his sense of orientation in the air...Hopefully he can get it diagnosed if that's the case, but these are the same doctors that missed Iordache's fasciitis, so who knows?

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/gymnastics/high-bar-mens-qualification-subdivision-3.html (1hr 06min in)

feraina
08-07-2012, 01:12 AM
So happy for Kexin He! She had such a tough couple of years. And then there was such pressure on her to do well at these Games, as she was only included in the women's team under the expectation that she would ace the UB routines. And ace them she did! Each one was better than the previous. I thought today's was the best of all, and worthy of a gold medal. I thought her execution was just as good as Mustafina's, and so given the higher level of difficulty, she ought to have won.

Apparently she got a deduction because of an extra pirouette. How could this have happened after having the routine scored twice here already? Shouldn't she and her coach know to just take out the last pirouette or something?

Cachoo
08-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Still with the silver Kexin He delivered for her country. I do feel badly for the athletes who "carry" their teams. That is enormous pressure day in and day out.

Buzz
08-07-2012, 01:33 AM
Buzz who is Emin?

Emin Garibov Russian team member. HB finalist. :)

gracefulswan
08-07-2012, 02:57 AM
I hope Komova can win beam. It's the only event left for her now. I'm really hoping against hope.... She hasn't hit a perfect set yet in these Games on beam so that's why I'm worried. She's going against Ponor, Iordache, Lu.... I think she can go toe to toe with them though.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1286905-viktoria-komova-anything-less-than-gold-on-balance-beam-would-disappoint

Choupette
08-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Boy, I think Aly, McKayla, and Jordyn can form a club about how to deal with disappointments in the Olympics after this first week of competition. :eek:
It's not that surprising in a way. The evening the Olympic team was chosen, I had flashbacks of the US team from 4 years ago. Huge disappointment before the competition even began for Memmel and Peszek. Terrible disappointment for Sacramone... Sloan was pretty much in the role Ross is in right now, with a supporting role, no individual finals, but she'd done a good job. So really only two of the members on that team had a really amazing competition.

A few days ago, a journalist in my local newspaper remarked how most of the athletes in general seemed disappointed after a competition (he was in the mixed zone, where the media are waiting after a competition). The ones who leave extremely happy are a minority. But that's what makes those winning moments so special.

moebius
08-07-2012, 04:06 AM
I don't know if this has been discussed as I didn't read through all 49 pages. Why was there a controversy when Alicia Sacramone lost the bronze to the Chinese who sat down on vault, but not when Maroney who also sat down on the vault won the silver over the Russian ? The Chinese gymnast had a higher start value than Sacramone, same situation as Maroney over the Russian thus able to sustain a mistake and score higher than the gymnast who placed below them. Is it because an American was shut out of a medal?