PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics Apparatus Finals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

Scintillation
08-04-2012, 08:27 PM
SO EXCITED for vault finals. I just wanna see mckayla vault again. That's all. Oh and UB EF. I can't decide who I want to win there--mustafina or tweddle? Decisions, decisions...

VIETgrlTerifa
08-04-2012, 08:31 PM
I was rooting hard for Tweddle prior to the games but Mustafina is simply gorgeous on bars. Can't decide, just no He Kexin please, talk about labored.

kylet3
08-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Do Black or Rogers have a chance at a medal realistically? Or do they need everyone else in front of them to screw up royally? Maroney is a lock for gold, I'm just wondering if they can win either silver or bronze?

chipso1
08-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Do Black or Rogers have a chance at a medal realistically? Or do they need everyone else in front of them to screw up royally? Maroney is a lock for gold, I'm just wondering if they can win either silver or bronze?

They have the lowest D scores heading into the final (Black at 11.5, Rogers at 11.4), so they'll need a lot of help to make the podium.

BigB08822
08-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Izbasa may throw the Cheng she has been practicing if Maroney gives her an opening. She is the only one with enough difficulty to challenge if Maroney falls. I doubt she will go for it if Maroney lands both vaults cleanly, it wouldn't matter. Pena has the D score but shouldn't have nearly good enough execution to challenge Maroney unless Maroney has a disaster. Maroney just has to land her vaults and have nothing flukish happen.

FiveRinger
08-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Izbasa may throw the Cheng she has been practicing if Maroney gives her an opening. She is the only one with enough difficulty to challenge if Maroney falls. I doubt she will go for it if Maroney lands both vaults cleanly, it wouldn't matter. Pena has the D score but shouldn't have nearly good enough execution to challenge Maroney unless Maroney has a disaster. Maroney just has to land her vaults and have nothing flukish happen.

Well, I certainly hope that Maroney vaults tomorrow like she did in TFs. There weren't enough words to describe how beautiful that vault was.

I'm nervous though, because this entire gymnastics competition has been anything but ordinary and we've seen a lot of uncharacteristic things happen in London.

If nothing else, I want to see Maroney win vault and Musty win bars. Her bars routine is just exquisite and unique. I love it.

ioana
08-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Pena has the D score but shouldn't have nearly good enough execution to challenge Maroney unless Maroney has a disaster.

Did she ever land her double front? She fell on it in qualifies, but it wasn't a scary-looking vault anymore. If she were to stand up on it, her score would go up a good deal, but I'm not sure how likely that is. Her double twisting Yurchenko has good execution (high 8's, even 8.9 or so), but it's a pretty low SV.

BigB08822
08-04-2012, 11:16 PM
She has landed it once or twice but it is always very very low and I think her bum always brushes the mat so she still incurs a lot of deductions. Even if she lands it I am sure she is incurring at least half a point in landing deductions alone. Maroney basically incurs .3 deductions on her vault (as evidenced in TF) and then up to .3 on the landing if she doesn't run off the mat. Maroney will score around 9.4 if she just does her usual vault. Not that you are arguing Maroney has to worry but the deductions for Pena's vault are significant, even if landed.

IoanaC
08-04-2012, 11:32 PM
I will be keeping my fingers crossed for:

Vault

1. No point in hopes/wishes/whatever here as we all know who's going to win ;)
2. Sandra Izbașa /ROU/
3. Oksana Chusovitina /GER/

Floor

1. Sandra Izbașa /ROU/
2. Ksenia Afanasyeva /RUS/ (edited because I forgot how awesome her floor routine is)
3. Vanessa Ferrari /ITA
4. Jordyn Wieber /USA/

Uneven Bars

1. Komova/Musty /RUS/
2. Komova/Musty /RUS/
3. Beth Tweddle /GBR/
4. Gabrielle Douglas /USA/ (she's amazing on the bars but she has two gold medals already so let's spread the wealth ^^)

Beam

1. Catalina Ponor /ROU/
2. Viktoria Komova /RUS/
3. Sui Lu/Deng Linlin/Ksenia Afanasyeva

Ziggy, love your wishes/predictions. May they come true!:)

ioana
08-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Not that you are arguing Maroney has to worry but the deductions for Pena's vault are significant, even if landed.

Thanks, I was thinking more about her as a silver medal spoiler. I found this video where she scores a 15.7, so it's not really out of the question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-16OsNoj-ts#t=01m26s

Maroney is so much better than the rest of the field, it would take a major screw-up to lose. And no one wants to see that in an Olympic final. At least, they'd better not :P
http://www.newnownext.com/mckayla-maroney-bitch-face-an-olympic-history/07/2012/#flipbook_slider_ajax_flipbook_free_type_180=2060

BigB08822
08-04-2012, 11:37 PM
I agree, Pena is indeed a silver medal spoiler and it will all come down to that first vault. The big question is whether the judges go extra harsh like they often do in EF. That could hurt her but I still think she has a shot. I would love for Chuso to get silver and Pena the bronze.

danafan
08-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Black has trained Tsuk 1 1/2 on vault and I think there is a good chance she will throw it tomorrow.

From February 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIetxHdFWiQ

ETA that would put her equal in D score with Chusovitina but she would likely need a couple of athletes to mess up to have a shot at a medal.

julieann
08-04-2012, 11:46 PM
They were not happy to lose. Coming in second is the worst place! So many people have said they couldn't look at their silver medals because it was "close, but no!" and that bronze medalist are much happier. Gold Medalists are happy, bronze is happy but silver means first loser. Olympic silver has prestige and means you won that medal but not that you won. You lost your event.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/vancouver/2010-02-22-bronze-vs-silver_N.htm

Article with some studies about how people react to medals using the 2010 Winter Olympics. Lots of athletes are mentioned.

Actually being 4th is far worse than silver. At least they get a medal.

danafan
08-04-2012, 11:59 PM
The oldest vault finalist in WAG was born in 1975, and the youngest in 1996. That's more than a 20 year difference - this must be a first. And they are teammates!

Berger is my pick for bronze if she can stay on her feet. And if not, heck it wasn't until her fifth Olympics that Chusovitina won her first Olympic vault medal, so there's still hope!

bardtoob
08-05-2012, 02:09 AM
I think Chusovitina is inspirational.