PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics Apparatus Finals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

VIETgrlTerifa
08-05-2012, 11:59 PM
I think the current formula has been in effect for a while due to team qualifying procedures.

I actually like the current formula (assuming there is also an individual all-around) of Individual Events-only Worlds, Full-team/Individual Events Worlds, Full-team/Individual Events Worlds, and Full-team/Individual Events Olympics.

I think many programs are burnt-out after an Olympics to have a full, healthy team for Worlds the year after, and an individuals-only Worlds will let qualifiers put their name out internationally (newbies), allow those who had their heart broken by failing to qualify for the Olympics have a chance at redemption, or those who did not have their desired results at the preceding Olympics have their chance at redemption.

BTW, I had no idea that only 4 members were allowed for Worlds next year. That's stupid.

I hate 5 member teams too, but it makes much more sense under the 6-3-3 format. Not only are the team results a bit more consistent from preliminaries to finals, but having 6 members ran the risk of having an extra team member who contributed nothing to the final score and still earning a medal. I rather we have teams that utilize everyone. I also think having a 5 member team puts the emphasis back on All-Arounders. Yeah, McKayla was only used for Vault but she is an all-arounder. Of course, that could have been fixed if they went back to 6-5-4 or 7-6-5 or even 6-6-5.

Spareoom
08-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Post-Olympic Worlds are always so depleated, even with the reduced number of particpants. The USA always tends to do extremely well there because they ahve so many gymnasts who either just turned senior or didn't make the Olympics the year before and have been doing nothing but training. By comparison, very few countries have that kind of talent pool and struggle to find four athletes who haven't retired/are ready to go.

I can't imagine how much lower the quality of gymnastics would be if it was a full team Worlds after the Olympics. The USA would win the TF by like fifty points every time.

Loves_Shizuka
08-06-2012, 12:10 AM
So much talk about Maroney, but I'm thrilled for Iszbasa. She's so classy- almost oldskool (apart from her hideous leos :P )

Btw, Sandra has won a gold medal on two different apparatus at two different Olympics (Floor in 08, vault here) That's AMAZING! When did this last happen?

vesperholly
08-06-2012, 12:12 AM
And ARGH Sacramone must just be livid, she could've easily left here a two-time OGM based on today.

Meh, wuzrobbing people who didn't even make the team is pointless. We have no idea how Sacramone would have a) performed her vaults or b) been scored for them. After all, 110% of people here thought Maroney had it in the bag.

I wonder how much the toe injury played into Maroney's training for the second vault, both before and after prelims. She was so low on it. Bad block?

Btw, Sandra has won a gold medal on two different apparatus at two different Olympics (Floor in 08, vault here) That's AMAZING! When did this last happen?

Nellie Kim won floor in 76 and vault in 80. Since the 80s, there aren't too many people attending two Olympics.

museksk8r
08-06-2012, 12:15 AM
*wonders how many gymnastics event final routines will be chacked so that we can watch Michael Phelps's race replays and answers to interview questions we've seen and heard several times over* :wall::mad: NBC is :EVILLE:

Karpenko
08-06-2012, 12:16 AM
I know totally true, it would've been totally different and changed the whole game. I think if the toe did affect her at all it was because she didn't have a one-touch warmup. But then again nobody else did either.. I just need to suck it up and quit whining. :P I just can't believe the shock of it, she's fine with it now and the Olympics still rock and move along and all that.. :shuffle:

I can't remember the last time a gymnast competed and won gold in two different Olympics on different events, maybe Nadia or Nelli Kim in 1980?? It really is a great achievement for Izbasa and Romania, I think she has an even better shot at winning floor gold in a couple of days. She's really competing well here, 5th AA as well. :respec:

Loves_Shizuka
08-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Nellie Kim won floor in 76 and vault in 80. Since the 80s, there aren't too many people attending two Olympics.

Thank you! So Sandra is the first to do this for thirty-two years! Pretty bloody amazing, and shouldn't be overshadowed.

BigB08822
08-06-2012, 12:20 AM
What about Khorkina on bars? Or do you only mean different events?

Does Amanar count? I know it has an * next to it but she won vault in 1996 and the AA in 2000. I suppose you are only thinking of the 4 events and not AA, though, and she only won the AA after the fact.

Loves_Shizuka
08-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Yes I mean on different events. Although medalling at two Olympics at all is :respec:

escaflowne9282
08-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Thank you! So Sandra is the first to do this for thirty-two years! Pretty bloody amazing, and shouldn't be overshadowed.

Shaposhnikova won vault in 1980. Kim won vault and floor in 76 and tied for floor with Comaneci in 80. Although to be fair ,Shaposhnikova probably should have won that too.

chipso1
08-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Comaneci won UB and BB in 1976, and then won BB and FX (tie w/ Kim) in 1980.

Seregil
08-06-2012, 01:45 AM
I feel bad for Maroney, but she still has a gold medal. I hope she sticks around for at least another year or two.

Now onto the rest of event finals. I want Tweddle to win gold on bars. Mustafina for the silver and Komova for bronze. I'm open to the two Russians changing places. I'll also accept Douglas in place of Komova.

Komova must win beam. Douglas for silver or bronze. Don't really care who gets the third medal.

Afan and Raisman in any order for gold and silver on floor. Kind of want Wieber to get the bronze, but I'll accept anyone really.

galaxygirl
08-06-2012, 01:55 AM
I'd like to see Musty/Tweddle/Komova, in that order, on bars.

On beam, I'd like to see Douglas and Bulimar medal.

And on floor, I'd like Raisman to medal and any two of Musty, Wieber and Afan to medal.

flipforsynchro
08-06-2012, 02:23 AM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if start order comes into play for bars final with the result being:

Mustafina
Tweddle
Komova
Kexin

If they all hit.

My hopes as well^

wRECkSk8r
08-06-2012, 03:08 AM
*wonders how many gymnastics event final routines will be chacked so that we can watch Michael Phelps's race replays and answers to interview questions we've seen and heard several times over* :wall::mad: NBC is :EVILLE:

^ This!