PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics Apparatus Finals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

Loves_Shizuka
08-05-2012, 05:44 PM
^
Comedy (http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01rmaHA8mG4wf/x610.jpg)

galaxygirl
08-05-2012, 05:44 PM
What the feck? I thought EF was on at 11:30 EST so I just woke up to a nightmare. Maroney falls and loses gold? Zou wins floor? Smith loses gold on a tiebreaker?! Do-over today, please.

:fragile: :fragile: :fragile:

Me too. I'm actually glad I missed it. I was worried about this happening last night, so much so that I had a little trouble sleeping :shuffle:. I found out about it on twitter.

I don't think you'll get an argument there. For some of us, it's part of her charm. :rofl::rofl:

Me too. Love her.

Look I agree with you. But I'm a little tired of the double standards on display. when an American cries a la Wieber she's just showing how disappointed she is. When the Russians cry they are brats. The way Mustafina has been treated by NBC has been. (Cameras to show any tense moment between her and her coach) unfair IMO.

Agreed. Actually, I wish her coach hadn't even bothered since I think it was pretty obvious that she was pissed and didn't want comfort. Of course then people would be bitching about how he didn't try to comfort her. :lol:

my little pony
08-05-2012, 05:45 PM
lol, i'll take her hall of fame bitch face over perk any day

Scintillation
08-05-2012, 05:46 PM
^
Comedy (http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01rmaHA8mG4wf/x610.jpg)

LOVE. IT. :rofl: honestly this almost makes me glad she lost so we could be gifted with such a great facial expression.

Kidlaw77
08-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Also from Graves: More McKayla: "It's not the silver medal that I'm disappointed about, it's my performance today."

:cheer2: still love you, McKayla!

This is the one I love the most:

"I'm gonna go home and rest a little bit and hopefully get back into gymnastics after that."
:D

Loves_Shizuka
08-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Izsbasa is a bit Kiira Korpi-esque methinks :glamor:

Scintillation
08-05-2012, 05:53 PM
I want her to go for the TTY. Come on McKayla, you are too good to leave this sport without a vault named after you.

bek
08-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I feel to people's whole why are they disappointed for silver, why are you crying for silver? Well I think it depends. If you are someone like Maroney and Komova talented enough for gold, make a mistake and lose than yeah.. You will be disappointed I'm sure if Maroney had hit, Sandra would have been through the roof with silver. This being said apparently Maroney didn't even congratulate Paseka on the podium...

Frau Muller
08-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Too bad for McKayla but I'm thrilled for Izbasa and Romania's gold. I love a little surprise (a huge reason why I love Gabby D.). Here's to SURPRISES!

pollyanna
08-05-2012, 06:14 PM
she's not even 60 yrs old, i cant get over how bad she looks

Chernobyl?

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20114566,00.html

Today the impish grin that charmed the world has all but vanished, a casualty of one of the bitterest realities of life in the Soviet Union. Korbut, now 35 and living in Minsk, Byelorussia, is suffering from thyroid problems and exhaustion related to radiation poisoning following the April 26, 1986, nuclear disaster at Chernobyl, 180 miles from her home. In desperation, Korbut and her husband, Leonid Bortkevich, 41, a folk-rock star, have sent their only child, Richard, 12, to live with friends in East Brunswick, N.J., while they stay in Minsk to help with relief efforts.

For Korbut, that means using her celebrity to publicize an insidious problem that won't go away—and which much of the world has all but forgotten. Although nearly five years have passed since the accident, cities, villages, farmlands and food remain contaminated through much of the Soviet republic of Byelorussia. With a region roughly the size of Maine most heavily affected, 50,000 people have already been relocated, and another 150,000 urgently need to be moved but cannot find housing. Lack of information and distrust of the government have made people acutely anxious. Many fear that the water they drink and the food they eat will eventually kill them. Indeed, overburdened hospitals testify to the radiation's effects: increases in leukemia, twice as many thyroid-related ailments in children, a 700 percent increase in anemia and twice as many birth defects. Korbut recently visited the U.S. on behalf of the Emergency Help for Children Foundation, a child-oriented relief organization set up by Victoria Farahan, a 27-year-old Soviet émigré who teaches Russian at Indiana University. With Farahan interpreting, Korbut spoke to correspondent Bill Shaw about her deteriorating health and the frightening future that she and her people now face.

http://sports.jrank.org/pages/2593/Korbut-Olga-Athlete-Turns-Activist.html

Montreal represented Korbut's farewell to competition; she returned to the Soviet Union, married in 1978, and gave birth to her son, Richard, a year later. But the world had not heard the last of Olga Korbut. In 1986, the nuclear reactor in Chernobyl exploded. Some 180 miles away at her home in Minsk, Korbut could see the cloud of radiation. "But the government never even told us to stay indoors," she was quoted in a Sports Illustrated article by Hank Hersch. When some of her friends and relatives began falling ill, Korbut went into action. She became personally involved in Chernobyl relief projects, traveling to the U.S. to raise consciousness and money on behalf of the victims of radiation poisoning. Working with the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Korbut helped collect $70,000 for medical supplies.

I fell in love with her in 1972, but my adoration for her grew a thousand-fold after Chernobyl when she worked so hard for relief efforts. A truly great lady.

Maroney's the best vaulter in the world, but 9.666 execution for that Amanar was too much. Paseka & Berger were robbed.
Berki is GOD on PH.

Remember that she also received a 0.3 deduction for landing OOB, so if you count that in execution she actually got 9.366.

Absolutely GUTTED for Maroney. :( Truly the greatest ladies vaulter of all time, but she didn't get it done when it counted. Congrats to Sandra Izbasa, I am thrilled that Romania gets to take home at least one gold.

justAfsfan
08-05-2012, 06:38 PM
I feel to people's whole why are they disappointed for silver, why are you crying for silver? Well I think it depends. If you are someone like Maroney and Komova talented enough for gold, make a mistake and lose than yeah.. You will be disappointed I'm sure if Maroney had hit, Sandra would have been through the roof with silver. This being said apparently Maroney didn't even congratulate Paseka on the podium...

And people here criticize Komova for crying :rofl:

Skittl1321
08-05-2012, 06:38 PM
So sad for Maroney. I think she'll be remembered for the best vault gymnastics has ever seen.

skatefan
08-05-2012, 06:55 PM
I fell in love with her in 1972, but my adoration for her grew a thousand-fold after Chernobyl when she worked so hard for relief efforts. A truly great lady.
Olga Korbutt is my first real sporting memory and has been my favourite gymnast ever since :) I was delighted to see her appear recently pre the Olympics opening ceremony on Dancing On Ice Goes Gold - even Torvill & Dean were a little starstruck :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfzX1Xsbts

her grace is still there ... What a personality she is :)

Braulio
08-05-2012, 07:08 PM
My heart crushed when McKayla fell, so sad for her

But a little bit of justice in disguise to Sandra Izbasa, who should have been the AA bronze medalist but life sometimes gives you a sweet prize in exchange so now she's olympic champ in the vault against all odds! and watch out for the floor exercise, has a legitimate shot

brina
08-05-2012, 07:11 PM
McKayla is going to stick around and do the TTY. In the interview after the team gold she was asked about re-naming the Amanar, and she said that she should probably invent her own vault instead.