PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics Apparatus Finals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

Cachoo
08-05-2012, 05:17 PM
This is why I love event finals: You never know what will happen!

museksk8r
08-05-2012, 05:17 PM
I say, regardless of nationality, none of these athletes deserve our criticism for how they react when they are disappointed or upset. They have to wait 4 years for an opportunity that they most likely will never experience in their lifetime again. They nail this element or routine daily in practice and then under the world's biggest spotlight amidst all the intense pressure, they have to deliver or the dream of gold they've sacrificed so much for is gone. It's a brief moment of reaction caught in real time on camera for all the world to judge when in reality none of us know who these people really are. I would think something is wrong with them if they didn't act like they were upset and instead flashed an obnoxiously fake smile. Being disappointed endears them to the public, in my eyes anyway, and shows their humanity.

The only example of an athlete I've seen who crossed the line of unacceptable behavior was Surya Bonaly at 1994 Worlds. I never understood why Plushenko's behavior in Vancouver got under some people's skin; his reaction of hopping on the top step was playful, IMO. He didn't rip off his medal and refuse to stand on the podium or congratulate the champion.

Cachoo
08-05-2012, 05:21 PM
I don't think she looks that bad.

I don't think she looks bad but she looks older than her age. I was glad NBC prepared that piece because it was Olga and then Nadia who sparked huge interest in gymnastics in the states. I remember every little girl suddenly wanted to learn.

bek
08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I say regardless of nationality, none of these athletes deserve our criticism for how they react when they are disappointed or upset. They have to wait 4 years for an opportunity that they most likely will never experience in their lifetime again. They nail this element or routine daily in practice and then under the world's biggest spotlight amidst all the intense pressure, they have to deliver or the dream of gold they've sacrificed so much for is gone. It's a brief moment of reaction caught in real time on camera for all the world to judge when in reality none of us know who these people really are. I would think something is wrong with them if they didn't act like they were upset and instead flashed an obnoxiously fake smile. Being disappointed endears them to the public, in my eyes anyway, and shows their humanity.

Look I agree with you. But I'm a little tired of the double standards on display. when an American cries a la Wieber she's just showing how disappointed she is. When the Russians cry they are brats. The way Mustafina has been treated by NBC has been. (Cameras to show any tense moment between her and her coach) unfair IMO.

vesperholly
08-05-2012, 05:25 PM
but I have to give major credit to Iszbasa for being mentally strong when others are not. She's awesome - defnitely my favorite Romanian.

Mine too, so I am happy that the person I would have otherwise chosen won. Now if Ponor wins things ... :mad:

Loves_Shizuka
08-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Janine Berger is NOT happy with the results

museksk8r
08-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Look I agree with you. But I'm a little tired of the double standards on display. when an American cries a la Wieber she's just showing how disappointed she is. When the Russians cry they are brats. The way Mustafina has been treated by NBC has been. (Cameras to show any tense moment between her and her coach) unfair IMO.

Oh, I definitely agree. When Mustafina finished her beam in the AA, from the NBC commentary, you would have thought she forcefully pushed the Russian coach onto the floor with the way Al Trautwig carried on. In reality, her reaction was much more subtle and just a gesture to her coach that "I want to be alone right now." No harm found. She's understandably upset.

Hedwig
08-05-2012, 05:28 PM
What I don't really agree with is giving a 0 to a vault with a fall that does not begin with the feet.

In all other events you still get a lot of points even if you fall. And if you somehow manage to let your feet touch the ground first, you also get a lot of points. The difference is just not right.

See Hannah Whelan who finished dead last in the AA with a 0 in vault. I don't think that that was warranted seeing what she did over all four apparatus.

I would do it like gymnastics and devalue the vault by one rotation and then add the fall penalties. for instance, for Hannah's double Yurtschenko, it would be devalued to a single Yurtschenko and then the penalties.

Kidlaw77
08-05-2012, 05:31 PM
I didn't see this posted here. I think McKayla has the right frame of mind about her loss:

I really didn't deserve to win a gold medal if I fall on my butt.

That quote comes from Will Graves' twitter. He also tweeted the following:

McKayla was a little teary-eyed when she got back to us. Quickly got it together. And she GRABBED the mic to chat. #star

"It happens, it's gymnastics. You can't be perfect and sometimes things don't go as you planned ... I messed up."

"It's not the silver medal that I'm disappointed about, it's my performance today."

Last one on Ms. Maroney: "I'm gonna go home and rest a little bit and hopefully get back into gymnastics after that."

bek
08-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I didn't see this posted here. I think McKayla has the right frame of mind about her loss:

Well absolutely I'm sure all of her anger etc was more directed to herself. Just as i think Komova and the Russians tears were directed towards themselves. I do wonder if NBC is going to say Maroney's silver was not deserved like they complained about Cheng Fei's bronze? Perhaps though we can call that Mustafina's revenge (since she fell on the Mustafina). Not that Aliya strikes me as the type to want revenge in that way... When asked once which American she likes the least Aliya responded she likes them all, and that Sacramone is her fave.

aka_gerbil
08-05-2012, 05:35 PM
really? for being in her 50s i think she looks retched.

I saw that fluff as well, and, IMO, she looks quite a bit older than she probably should for her age. Olga's only 2 years older than my mother, but she looks at least 10 years older than my mom does.

vesperholly
08-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Also from Graves: More McKayla: "It's not the silver medal that I'm disappointed about, it's my performance today."

:cheer2: still love you, McKayla!

Loves_Shizuka
08-05-2012, 05:39 PM
The vault medal ceremony is just :rofl:

Ugh, I wish we'd had two other finals today. The EF's being over three days is just wrong.

Cachoo
08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Well absolutely I'm sure all of her anger etc was more directed to herself. Just as i think Komova and the Russians tears were directed towards themselves. I do wonder if NBC is going to say Maroney's silver was not deserved like they complained about Cheng Fei's bronze? Perhaps though we can call that Mustafina's revenge (since she fell on the Mustafina). Not that Aliya strikes me as the type to want revenge in that way... When asked once which American she likes the least Aliya responded she likes them all, and that Sacramone is her fave.

I'd love to see Aliya on a tour with the US team if that is done. Or it may some major breach of something I don't know about. I just think they might enjoy each other's company and learn from one another.

Scintillation
08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Well I don't know about that... I will say though Maroney's reactions kind of shows how unfair it is to label just the Russians as divas. She's clearly far more a diva than Mustafina.

Oh I do not argue that point. I love aliya and mckayla equally for their diva attitudes. It's refreshing to see personality on the floor. They also give the best interviews.

I know she's got history working against her, but I believe mckayla can stick around at least for a couple more world titles.

And there's a hilarious photo of mckayla on the medal stand with the best sour puss face ever. :rofl: